Now Hiring at the White Pass Railroad… We’ll TRAIN You!
Come join our team in Alaska from May through September!
Skagway, Alaska - A small town in Southeast Alaska that sees over 800,000+ cruise ship passengers from May-September.
About WHITE PASS & YUKON ROUTE
Experience the summer in Skagway with one of the most popular excursions in Alaska! The Scenic Railway of the World, the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad, is located at the top of the Inside Passage in Southeast Alaska and is the site of the historic narrow gauge mountain railroad. We are looking for top candidates to help us tell our 120 year old history to over 400,000 guests this summer! Front line positions include onboard train tour agents, cruise ship dock representatives, dock ambassadors, ticket sales agents and gift shop staff.
DID YOU KNOW?
The 110 mile long White Pass and Yukon Route railroad was constructed in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush. A work force of 30,000 men and women worked through the dead of winter and the buggy summer to complete the rail line in only 2 years, 2 months and 2 days! Workers toiled through pine forests, along granite rock faces and through mountain sides to make us one of the International Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks in the world.
The Employee Experience
Skagway and the White Pass & Yukon Route provides an unforgettable summer job experience that keeps employees coming back year after year. Our small community fosters lifelong friendships and a love for Alaska.
Our ideal candidates are positive, enthusiastic individuals with a “can do” attitude to make up a cohesive team that can respond to the demands of the job and have fun doing it. Our operating season runs from May through September and priority will be given to candidates who can stay the entire time. Though our season is short, we are looking for staff that can provide a safe and unforgettable experience for our guests from the first day of the season to the last.
By position, here are the required skills and qualifications for our jobs.
Tour Guide, Dock Ambassador & Reservations Staff
- Public Speaking Experience
- Exemplary Customer Service Record
- Positive Attitude & Teamwork Skills
- History of a Strong Work Ethic
- Ability to Troubleshoot & Work Well Under Pressure
- Willingness to Work a Flexible Schedule
- Sales Oriented
- We are actively seeking candidates who can speak other languages fluently, in particular Spanish and Japanese, however any foreign language skills are a plus.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and work outdoors in the elements
- Ability to Clearly Communicate Important Information in Person, Over the Phone and via email
- Working Knowledge Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
Retail & Barista Staff
- Demonstrates Excellent Customer Service
- POS/Micros register & Cash Handling Experience
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Ability to Troubleshoot & Work Well Under Pressure
- Retail Experience Preferred
- Possess a Valid Driver’s License
- Sales Oriented
- Excellent Communication and Teamwork Skills
- Barista Staff - Is familiar with Semi-automatic Espresso Machines
- Alaska Food Handlers Card required
Room and Board
We offer optional company housing to our staff. Rent is $400 per month and is paid directly from each paycheck. All housing units include utilities, cable & internet access, communal kitchens and are fully furnished.
- Bonus Compensation when terms of employment are completed
- Coordinated White Pass Team Events Including BBQs and Group Tours
- Experience all Skagway has to offer with our Tour Partner Exchange Program
- Unlimited employee and immediate family rides as well as four complimentary tickets for friends and extended family.
- Bikes available for the season – First come, first serve
- Lifetime friendships and unforgettable memories
- Tour Guide Team Only - High quality Gore-Tex uniform jacket are yours at the end of the season
Getting Here and Getting Around
All Employees are responsible for getting themselves to and from Skagway. Travelling to Skagway from the lower 48 states is most accessible from Seattle to Juneau via Alaska Airlines. Skagway is 90 miles from Juneau by small plane service or sailing on the Alaska Marine Highway. Alternative routes are driving the Alaska Highway or flying into Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada.
Skagway, Alaska is an active and vibrant community and the summer experience could be the best of your life. We have seen our team members form lifelong friendships over the years and we become a close knit family during and after the season. There is plenty to do in and around Skagway. Everyone works hard, but plays hard as well. There are numerous hiking trails located in Skagway for all fitness levels. There are opportunities to run on the White Pass sponsored relay team each September or participate in the Kluane Chilkat International Bike Relay. The Summer Solstice and Fourth of July Festivities in Skagway are some of the best. Nearby Haines, AK and Whitehorse, YT provide additional areas to explore during your days off.
Our TOUR GUIDE position involves providing a fun and informative narration onboard the train via a public address system during 2 to 6 hour tours. Throughout the day you will be interacting with guests on an individual and group basis while actively loading trains, providing tour information and participating in our retail sales program during the journey. As a number of our tours enter Canada, eligible candidates must have a valid passport.
Our DOCK AMBASSADOR position is the friendly first contact with our guests on the cruise pier as they disembark the ship. Throughout the day you will be interacting with guests on an individual and group basis while greeting & answering questions, selling train tickets, actively loading trains and providing customer support throughout the day.
Our TICKET OFFICE AND RESERVATION STAFF position involves providing professional tour information in person, over the phone and via email. Staff assists with guest questions regarding our tour products and Skagway in general. You will be required to participate in train loading at the depot and assisting guests with finding tours.
Our BARISTA position involves providing excellent customer service in a fast pace, high volume Coffee Bar. We strive to serve exemplary espresso and give friendly individualized attention towards each guest. Baristas will be required to familiarize themselves with the local coffee we brew and sell along with the stocking and cleaning of the retail portion of our shops and behind the bar.
Our RETAIL CLERK position involves providing excellent customer service to our guests in a fast pace environment promoting sales, stocking, merchandising, and accurately recording orders placed over the phone. Staff is required to provide concise information to guests about the WP&YR schedules, history and other visitor information.
Our TRAIN STOCKER position involves replenishing and controlling onboard inventory including water, collateral and gift shop sales items. Must be able to work in a team, be independent and self-motivated to get the job done in a fast paced environment. Valid driver’s license and ability to lift at least 50 lbs. is a must.
How to Apply
Be sure to check out our new video highlighting the many jobs that make our operation run smoothly. We are sure you will want to join our team!“Choo Choo” Choose Us for Summer Fun! Visit our website to view the video and submit an application* online at: http://wpyr.com/company/jobs/
* Please note that we are not accepting H-1B Visa candidate applications for the 2018 season.