- Summer 2022 positions now open as: Adventure program, Kitchen, Dining Room Attendant, Housekeeping, Conference-Service, Guest Service, Retail, Lifeguard and Grounds-keeping.
No experience required
FULL TIME - FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM (One year Internship) YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly, a historic conference center in Black Mountain, NC, was founded over 100 years ago as a leadership training center. Our Fellowship Program embodies our founding philosophy of developing leaders by providing practical experience and training in the fields of hospitality, non-profit leadership, administration, communications, recreation management and entrepreneurialism through a paid trainee program.
The Conference Services Fellow is a one-year fellowship with possible transition to a full-time position after one year. This position is under the guidance of the Director of Housekeeping.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND APTITUDES
- Four-year college degree (preferred); or two years of relevant work experience in hospitality or customer service.
- Must be outgoing, courteous and customer-oriented and possess strong organizational and communication skills.
- This position is “hands on” and not a desk job. It often involves long periods of physically demanding work, so physical strength and stamina are required. The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. and remain on one's feet for long stretches is required.
- Must be a strong decision maker, adept at leading others and possess independent initiative and creative problem-solving skills.
- Must have the flexibility and willingness to work in a variety of different departments while fostering a collaborative and supportive team environment. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Must work well in stressful, high-pressure situations, often under deadline pressure.
- All work must be completed with attention to detail, speed, accuracy and neatness.
- Previous audio-visual experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be committed to the mission of the YMCA and to upholding its values and ethics.
- Work directly with guest leadership during the event to ensure their meeting space and overall needs are met.
- Set all meeting spaces neatly and in accordance with groups’ requests, including seating and table setup and breakdown
- Clean and maintain all meeting space areas, including floor care.
- Set up and operate audio-visual equipment, including microphones, video projectors, in-house and portable sound systems, soundboards and lighting.
- Communicate and work with other departments to provide for a seamless and pleasant guest experience.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Paid one-year program with cross-training across a variety of departments
- An average of 40 hours of work per week, with starting pay of $10.00/hr. depending on experience.
- Free on-grounds housing. All utilities and Wi-Fi are included, common areas including a fully equipped kitchen and dining room.
- Free meals in our dining facilities whenever conference groups are being served.
- Health insurance offered after a 90-day review period, including contributions to a health savings account.
- Eligible for Paid Time Off (10 days)
- The ability to live and work with staff from all over the world.
- Eligible for YMCA Retirement Fund after two years: YMCA Blue Ridge contributes an amount equal to 12% of gross pay to the fund at no cost and without any matching requirement.
- Free individual member to the Y of WNC, after a 90-day review period.