This can be a part-time or full-time position, available immediately.
Our culinary program at Greyfield Inn is rooted in Southern tradition while being intangibly linked to coastal heritage. Guests are treated to three meals daily, including breakfast, a picnic lunch, and a three-course dinner. Our menus are influenced by the seasons and what is available in our on-site garden. During peak season, our organic culinary garden produces the majority of our products and we choose to source humanely raised proteins. We strive to create a memorable culinary experience, respectful of the island’s culinary traditions and embedded in modern techniques.
- Candidates must have at least 1 year of experience
- Working knowledge of seasonal ingredients
- Ability to demonstrate quick thinking and adaptability
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong knife skills
- Positive attitude
- 1 year minimum commitment
The Inn provides employees with competitive pay (based on experience). Health care, housing, and annual vacation is provided to full-time employees.
We like to work. We work a lot. We work hard. The right candidate for Greyfield is self-motivated, goal-oriented, and detail-obsessed.
This is a multi-faceted position. Our employees wear many different hats throughout the course of a workday; everything from housekeeper (includes, but is not limited to floor-sweeping/vacuuming/mopping, dusting, laundry-washing/drying/folding/hauling baskets; bed-making, window-cleaning, and taking out the trash & recycling) to server, bartender (during cocktail hours & as requested by guests) dishwasher and chauffeur. At Greyfield, each of these jobs is approached with equal respect. Training in each area is provided. It is also helpful to have curiosity, an open mind, and an eagerness to learn a lot of new things. Our staff works together as a team for long hours, weekends, and holidays - Greyfield Inn is always open. A typical work day is plus or minus 10 hours; roughly 50 hours a week for a 5 day work week.
If you’re up for the challenge – and can do it while smiling and striving to make our guests feel at home and welcome – we want to work with you!
House Staff Responsibilities:
- Meticulous housekeeping in all areas of the inn and cottages
- Nightly “turn-down” service (a second cleaning and straightening of guest rooms during dinner service)
- Dining service for breakfast and dinner, as well as bartending for nightly cocktail hour
- Greeting guests upon arrival, and providing a detailed house tour and guide to staying at Greyfield Inn
- Working with all staff members to ensure proper and quality service be provided to our guests at all times
- Valid driver's license required
- The annual salary starts at $42,000, commensurate with experience. This number is based on an annual average depending on the daily rate plus a Guest Service Charge.
- Housing and meals provided to staff members only (no pets)
- Free transportation to and from the island via a scheduled ferry ride
- Paid vacation after one year
- Medical and dental after 60 days
We are not currently hiring for a sole naturalist position, but we are looking for a qualified candidate that can be cross-trained as both a naturalist and a house staff member.
To qualify for this naturalist position, a minimum 4-year or bachelor's degree in relevant field in required.
We offer our guests a variety of Island tours every day, with something to interest everyone, from history buffs to botanists. A valid driver's license is mandatory for this position because most of the tours require driving our custom naturalist’s truck on the way to view the secrets of Cumberland: historical ruins, wild horses, and lush maritime forests.
Some of the TOURS OFFERED
- Birding and Nature Outings
- North End Natural and Cultural History
- Dungenness Cultural History
- Kayak Outings
- Shark Tooth Hunts
How to Apply
All interested applicants must email their resume and cover letter to the email address below. Please put your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. We will then reach out to you to set up a video interview. Please do not call, our reservation team is located on the mainland and are unaffiliated with our hiring process.
We look forward to hearing from you!