- Research, design, facilitate training activities relative to the historical significance of our company (Xanterra/Fred Harvey), and provide park resource & informational training related to the geology, flora, fauna, and history of Grand Canyon National Park.
- Facilitate guest service, interpretive skills, and park resource & informational training courses using a variety of engaging teaching techniques, adult learning principles, and audience-centered experience techniques (ACE).
- Update resources and informational training classes to ensure accuracy and consistency in messaging.
- Achieve and maintain professional status as a Certified Interpretive Guide [CIG] and Certified Interpretive Trainer [CIT] through the National Association of Interpretation.
- Facilitate interpretive skills training courses, specifically Certified Interpretive Guide training, for Interpretive Tour Bus Drivers and Livery Staff of the Transportation Department.
- Conduct monthly audits on interpretive staff for full understanding and compliance of the NAI interpretive material and standards.
- Share responsibility in the facilitation of all aspects of New Employee Orientation.
- Utilize feedback provided by class participants in course evaluations and coaching from the Hospitality Training Manager to continuously improve upon personal facilitation skills and teaching techniques.
- Partner with NPS to learn and improve interpretive training programs and coordinate participation of relevant Xanterra employees in NPS and Grand Canyon Conservancy sponsored interpretive training events (e.g. Annual Spring Training, Annual Backcountry Guides Training, Resource Updates, etc.).
- Work with the Hospitality Training Manager and other vested parties within Xanterra to develop an interpretive training plan and strategy that meets the requirements of the concession contract.
- Establish and maintain a positive working rapport with supervisors, managers, and directors while communicating training information, requirements, and course completions.
- Assist the Hospitality Training Manager in supporting and implementing all corporate training initiatives.
- Assist the Hospitality Training Manager in the scheduling of classes on the monthly training calendar, and in the advertising of training classes through the company newsletter and intranet.
- Assist the Hospitality Training Manager in tracking training completions and the generating of training reports through the Learning Management System.
- Assist special groups by planning and conducting interpretive programming (e.g. educational/interpretive programming for children’s groups and special tours for adult tour groups, etc.).
- Catalogue, maintain and upgrade interpretive training materials as needed for training sessions.
This position will lead and/or monitor a variety of recreation activities, special events and trips. They are also responsible for the overall cleanliness of the Recreation Center Facilities.
- Complete work orders and repairs in a timely and thorough manner, maintaining cost-effectiveness in repairs for industrial, kitchen and residential electrical and gas-fired equipment and facilities.
- Evaluate the condition of equipment and make recommendations for repair or replacement. Diagnose malfunctioning systems, apparatus; electrical and gas components, using test equipment and hand tools to locate the cause of the malfunction and correct the problem. Advise management regarding safety and cost-effectiveness of equipment operation.
- Oversee completion and documentation of work orders, ensuring accuracy and detail with regard to materials, labor, and equipment.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Perform preventive scheduled maintenance on electrical and gas-fired equipment as directed.
- Perform all work with guest service in mind, keeping equipment and operational downtime to a minimum.
- Assist with the installation of electrical and gas-fired equipment.
- Adhere to all aspects of the National Electrical Code.
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, vertical boom lift, and roofs to install, maintain, or repair electrical and gas-fired equipment.
- Adhere to all safety, risk management, and environmental policies and procedures.
- Assist in the training and development of lower Electrician grades. This would include installation of motors, transformers, circuit breakers and other devices related to electrical and gas-fired appliances/equipment; diagnosing and maintaining other electrical and gas-fired equipment in a safe manner.
- Required to attend the following Xanterra courses within 3 months: (1) LOTO, (2) Confined Space, (3) Electrical Safety, (4) Personal Protective Equipment, (4) Ladder Safety, (5) Defensive Driving (6) Fall Protection (7) Other related safety training pertinent to the position.
How to Apply
Click on APPLY HERE to read more about our available jobs and our on line application procedure.
All Xanterra operations in Grand Canyon National Park are suspended from March 20 – through May 21, 2020 due to concerns surrounding COVID-19. At this moment, we are not hiring new employees. We are currently working on taking care of our current staff, making sure we have proper safety protocols in place, and assisting employees that were scheduled to check-in within the next 2 weeks.