Work hard, play hard at a historic ski lodge in Alta
Jobs in the Spotlight
Now hiring for the 2021-2022 winter season! Live, work, and play in Alta, where the greatest snow on earth is just out the front door.
Job Description: Under the direction of the Kitchen managers, dishwashers are responsible for maintaining cleanliness of all dishes, pots, pans and appliances, as well as sorting and storing them properly. In addition to dishwashing, they make sure both the kitchen and dish pit are clean and attended to at the end of their shifts. Dishwashers will also assist with intake of deliveries, taking out trash, recycling, and glass. Dishwashing shifts align with the kitchen shifts, working breakfast and lunch in the morning, and dinner in the evening.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Clean dishes to the Lodge's standard, to comply with Food Safety regulations and provide excellent guest service.
- Be able to operate a commercial Hobart dishwasher.
- Be able to hand-wash dishes in a triple sink configuration.
- Sort and store dishes, pots and pans in accordance with Dining Room and Kitchen preferences.
- Be fully responsible for managing your own time and understanding priorities without constant supervision.
- Take direction from Kitchen and Dining Room managers and staff.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for you and your coworkers.
- Understand and plan for the flow of dishes during your shift.
- Leave a clean workspace for your coworkers.
Job Description: Handies are the backbone of the Alta Lodge. They are responsible for front of the house and back, dealing with customers on a one-on-one basis, as well as attending to the presentation of the building. A typical shift will mostly be spent acting as a bellhop, running bags from rooms to the top of our three flights of stairs for departures and down from the top to rooms for arrivals. Handies are also responsible for all of the shoveling around the building. Alta, on average, gets 500 inches of snow in a winter, so shoveling is an important task for the handies. They also assist with some cleaning tasks around the Lodge, moving furniture, driving shuttles for guests, and assisting other departments as needed.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds and walk up and down 3 flights of stairs
- Must be able to shovel lots of snow, outside in cold temperatures and inclement weather
- Be fully responsible for managing your own time and understand priorities, without constant supervision
- Take direction from the front desk staff and MOD via radio
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for you and your coworkers
- Greet and welcome guests to the lodge, assisting with check-in and guiding guests to rooms
- Assist guests with luggage upon departure
- Maintain a clean uniform
- Understand and plan for the flow of business during your shift
- Leave a clean workspace for your coworkers
- Must have valid drivers license and be able to drive shuttles for guests within the canyon
Job Description: Professional line cook to prepare food to chef's expectations and set up stations for the daily menu. Duties include assisting Head Chef and Sous Chef, running the line for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner service, and providing service that aligns with Alta Lodge values of excellent guest service.
- Set up and stock stations with necessary supplies
- Prepare for food service i.e. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, preparing sauces, etc.
- Cook menu items in cooperation with the entire kitchen staff
- Answer, report, and follow Head/Sous Chef instructions
- Clean up station and take care of leftover food
- Stock inventory properly
- Ensure food comes out simultaneously, in high quality and in a timely fashion
- Comply with nutrition and sanitation regulations and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
- Help manage employees within other departments when physically in or interacting with kitchen
Under the direction of the Housekeeping Manager, the Housekeeper performs cleaning duties to ensure clean, orderly, and attractive Lodge rooms and common spaces. The Housekeeper completes a daily checklist of common area cleaning and assists other housekeepers as necessary to clean Lodge rooms in a timely way.
- Cleaning of Lodge rooms and common spaces, including hallways, public bathrooms, front of house common areas, and back of house employee areas. Includes wiping counter tops, dusting furniture, vacuuming, scrubbing toilets, showers, sinks, kitchens, and floors; cleaning mirrors and emptying trash, as well as maintaining the cleanliness of the pool and hot tub areas.
- Picks up spills, litter, and other items as necessary to maintain cleanliness of all common spaces and back of house areas.
- Delivers robes and other special items to guest rooms.
- Sorting, washing and folding linen.
- Deep cleaning of guest rooms and common areas as needed.
- Maintaining and cleaning housekeeping closets and stocking of room attendant carts.
- Various other duties assigned by the housekeeping manager and/or supervisor.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the Front Desk to facilitate the flow of lodge guest traffic.
Your job as a Front Desk Attendant at Alta Lodge is to put your own personal touch on fostering a welcoming environment for our guests from the days leading up to their arrival, through to the days after they leave. You will be the face of the lodge, exhibiting the lodge's values and high standards of guest service. As a Front Desk Attendant, you should have ample knowledge of the Lodge, the ski resort, neighboring businesses, the Town of Alta, and the community. We expect you to take the initiative to be informed and be willing to ask questions when you do not know the answer to something. We expect you to be a team player and willing to go the extra mile to help your fellow staff members and our guests. Multitasking is an important skill at the desk, as well as phone etiquette and basic math competency.
- Representing the lodge as a friendly, welcoming face and voice
- Actively engaging with and guiding guests throughout their stay
- Staying informed and adept at communicating policies, operations, activities, etc.
- Streamlining guest service by consistently and effectively communicating with other departments
- Maintaining respectful, friendly, and effective communication and working relationships with your fellow front desk attendants and front desk managers
- Handling stressful situations with poise and a cooperative, positive attitude toward guests and coworkers
- Seeing tasks through to the end, even beyond your scheduled shift
- Delegating tasks appropriately between departments
- Coordinating check-in and check-out with guests and lodge departments
- Answering phones
- Coordinating guest transportation
- Issuing Convenience Card lift passes and assisting with lift ticket purchases
- Navigating our Property Management Software
- Basic data entry
- Handling guest payments and transactions from the Dining Room, General Store, and Front Desk
- Basic daily accounting at the end of each night shift
- Screening patrons who may be too young to purchase alcohol from our general store
- Making sure that the lodge public spaces are neat and tidy and that the front desk area is clean, organized and presentable
- Supporting staff members in other departments as needed
- One or more nights per week, be on call overnight to assist guests with whatever needs arise (contacting local dispatch for help, parking issues, carrying luggage, etc.)
- Following up with and organizing the Front Desk email inbox
- Collecting and distributing mail
In the Alta Lodge dining room, we strive to create a welcoming environment for both returning and new guests. As a front line employee, we are relying on you to help create this atmosphere. We expect you to work hard during your scheduled shifts, but we craft your schedule to enjoy as much ski time as possible. You will be expected to perform all the standard server duties, including fine dining dinner service, quick and friendly lunch service, and speedy and cheerful breakfast service. Much of your job will consist of conversing with guests, many of whom have stayed at the lodge for decades. Since we are the largest department in the lodge, one of your benefits is easily being able to switch shifts with your fellow “trons”. In summation, you should look forward to a winter full of skiing, hard work, and great companionship.
Must possess or be willing and eager to learn the following skills:
- Fine dining table service for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Excellent people skills and the ability to talk with a wide variety of people
- Patience and empathy for guests, problem guests, and fellow employees
- Basic knowledge of food ingredients and allergies (gluten, dairy, etc.)
- Basic food knowledge, and kitchen cooking methods
- Basic knowledge of POS systems (Aloha)
- Ability to work a variety of hours (breakfast, lunch, tea time, dinner)
- Ability to be on your feet and multi-tasking in a fast paced environment for entire shifts
- Ability to oversee the entire foodservice operation and assist servers with their jobs
- Basic knowledge of wines from around the world
- Specific knowledge of the wines on our wine list
- Uncorking and pouring skills