Looking for a year-round career in the mountains? Come live and work in Alta!
Jobs in the Spotlight
Live and work in the mountains this summer!
Now hiring for Summer 2022! Starting May 31st through October 9th.
Your job as a Front Desk Attendant at Alta Lodge is to put your own personal touch on fostering a welcoming environment for our guests from the days leading up to their arrival, through to the days after they leave. You will be the face of the lodge, exhibiting the lodge's values and high standards of guest service. As a Front Desk Attendant, you should have ample knowledge of the Lodge, the ski resort, neighboring businesses, the Town of Alta, and the community. We expect you to take the initiative to be informed and be willing to ask questions when you do not know the answer to something. We expect you to be a team player and willing to go the extra mile to help your fellow staff members and our guests. Multitasking is an important skill at the desk, as well as phone etiquette and basic math competency.
- Representing the lodge as a friendly, welcoming face and voice
- Actively engaging with and guiding guests throughout their stay
- Staying informed and adept at communicating policies, operations, activities, etc.
- Streamlining guest service by consistently and effectively communicating with other departments
- Maintaining respectful, friendly, and effective communication and working relationships with your fellow front desk attendants and front desk managers
- Handling stressful situations with poise and a cooperative, positive attitude toward guests and coworkers
- Seeing tasks through to the end, even beyond your scheduled shift
- Delegating tasks appropriately between departments
- Coordinating check-in and check-out with guests and lodge departments
- Answering phones
- Coordinating guest transportation
- Issuing Convenience Card lift passes and assisting with lift ticket purchases
- Navigating our Property Management Software
- Basic data entry
- Handling guest payments and transactions from the Dining Room, General Store, and Front Desk
- Basic daily accounting at the end of each night shift
- Screening patrons who may be too young to purchase alcohol from our general store
- Making sure that the lodge public spaces are neat and tidy and that the front desk area is clean, organized and presentable
- Supporting staff members in other departments as needed
- One or more nights per week, be on call overnight to assist guests with whatever needs arise (contacting local dispatch for help, parking issues, carrying luggage, etc.)
- Following up with and organizing the Front Desk email inbox
- Collecting and distributing mail
Handies are the backbone of the Alta Lodge. They are responsible for front of the house and back, dealing with customers on a one-on-one basis, as well as attending to the presentation of the building. A typical shift will mostly be spent acting as a bellhop, running bags from rooms to the top of our three flights of stairs for departures and down from the top to rooms for arrivals. Handies are also responsible for all of the shoveling around the building. Alta, on average, gets 500 inches of snow in a winter, so shoveling is an important task for the handies. They also assist with some cleaning tasks around the Lodge, moving furniture, driving shuttles for guests, and assisting other departments as needed.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds and walk up and down 3 flights of stairs
- Must be able to shovel lots of snow, outside in cold temperatures and inclement weather
- Be fully responsible for managing your own time and understand priorities, without constant supervision
- Take direction from the front desk staff and MOD via radio
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for you and your coworkers
- Greet and welcome guests to the lodge, assisting with check-in and guiding guests to rooms
- Assist guests with luggage upon departure
- Maintain a clean uniform
- Understand and plan for the flow of business during your shift
- Leave a clean workspace for your coworkers
- Must have valid drivers license and be able to drive shuttles for guests within the canyon
In the Alta Lodge dining room, we strive to create a welcoming environment for both returning and new guests. As a front line employee, we are relying on you to help create this atmosphere. We expect you to work hard during your scheduled shifts, but we craft your schedule to enjoy as much ski time as possible. You will be expected to perform all the standard server duties, including fine dining dinner service, quick and friendly lunch service, and speedy and cheerful breakfast service. Much of your job will consist of conversing with guests, many of whom have stayed at the lodge for decades. Since we are the largest department in the lodge, one of your benefits is easily being able to switch shifts with your fellow “trons”. In summation, you should look forward to a winter full of skiing, hard work, and great companionship.
Must possess or be willing and eager to learn the following skills:
- Fine dining table service for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Excellent people skills and the ability to talk with a wide variety of people
- Patience and empathy for guests, problem guests, and fellow employees
- Basic knowledge of food ingredients and allergies (gluten, dairy, etc.)
- Basic food knowledge, and kitchen cooking methods
- Basic knowledge of POS systems (Aloha)
- Ability to work a variety of hours (breakfast, lunch, tea time, dinner)
- Ability to be on your feet and multi-tasking in a fast paced environment for entire shifts
- Ability to oversee the entire foodservice operation and assist servers with their jobs
- Basic knowledge of wines from around the world
- Specific knowledge of the wines on our wine list
- Uncorking and pouring skills
This is a year-round position, 40 hrs/week (must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays)
Sell an authentic Alta Lodge experience to guests. Ensure accuracy of all reservations, rates and communications relative to Reservations and guests’ stay. Handle pre-arrival financial transactions between our guests and the Lodge. Consistently provide all guests with a genuine, high-quality hospitality experience. Possess a strong desire and dedication to passionately share Alta’s unique resort community and our authentic mountain experience.
A Reservations Agent should have exceptional phone and written communications skills; the necessary social skills to work with all types of guests/clients; strong attention to detail, the ability to work independently and creatively as tasks and problems arise; self-motivation to complete departmental tasks; aptitude to navigate all of our reservations systems on the computer; and be able to work well under pressure while meeting multiple and sometimes competing deadlines.
- Assist potential guests (via phone or electronically/email/online) with lodging reservations and their Alta vacation.
- Provide exceptional customer service and relations both externally (lodge guests) and internally (co-workers).
- Ensure accuracy of all aspects of the reservation(s) both front and back of house – guest information/history, rates, deposits/payments, communications/confirmations, databases, filing, etc.
- Optimize guest reservations, systems and communications.
- Provide timely correspondence and replies to all potential and booked guests.
- Develop extensive knowledge of accommodations, amenities, Alta resort (mountain, tickets, ski school, etc.) and town (other lodging properties and businesses), events, and special programs.
- Effectively communicate Alta Lodge experience and resort knowledge to all contacts.
- Responsible for departmental opening and closing duties as outlined.
- Track various data accurately.
- Assist in compiling reports.
- Ensure accuracy of online bookings.
- Assist other departments with various projects, including reservations.
- Manage office supplies in back office and ordering.
Under the direction of the Housekeeping Manager, the Housekeeper performs cleaning duties to ensure clean, orderly, and attractive Lodge rooms and common spaces. The Housekeeper completes a daily checklist of common area cleaning and assists other housekeepers as necessary to clean Lodge rooms in a timely way.
- Cleaning of Lodge rooms and common spaces, including hallways, public bathrooms, front of house common areas, and back of house employee areas. Includes wiping counter tops, dusting furniture, vacuuming, scrubbing toilets, showers, sinks, kitchens, and floors; cleaning mirrors and emptying trash, as well as maintaining the cleanliness of the pool and hot tub areas.
- Picks up spills, litter, and other items as necessary to maintain cleanliness of all common spaces and back of house areas.
- Delivers robes and other special items to guest rooms.
- Sorting, washing and folding linen.
- Deep cleaning of guest rooms and common areas as needed.
- Maintaining and cleaning housekeeping closets and stocking of room attendant carts.
- Various other duties assigned by the housekeeping manager and/or supervisor.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the Front Desk to facilitate the flow of lodge guest traffic.