Our positions include RETAIL CLERKS and RETAIL SUPERVISORY positions.
The Acadia Corporation operates seven retail shops and an ice cream shop in Bar Harbor and one retail shop in Southwest Harbor all on beautiful Mount Desert Island in the state of Maine:
- The Acadia Shop - Feature gift, foods, and 'Made in Maine' and elsewhere that highlight the region's character.
- The Acadia Country Store - Maine foods and nautical & country store merchandise
- The Acadia Outdoors Store - Hiking and outdoor gear including shoes and backpacks
- Acadia Park Company - Acadia National Park inspired merchandise
- Jordan Pond Ice Cream Shop - Homemade ice cream and fudge
- Best of Bar Harbor - Feature gifts, foods, and clothing of Bar Harbor and Acadia
- Acadia on West - Nautically inspired merchandise and clothing
- Acadia Shop of Southwest Harbor - Outdoor apparel and accessories, gifts and foods
- Island Trading Company - Fashion apparel, jewelry, accessories, feature gifts and foods
Our season runs May through October with August being our busiest month.
Duties include cashiering, assisting with purchases, unloading and stocking merchandise, folding clothing, regularly scheduled cleaning duties including floor cleaning, and park visitor orientation. Must be able to lift 20 lbs. up to 10 times a day. Shifts may require standing for more than 4 hours at a time. All shop positions include weekend, evening, and holiday work. Shops are open as early as 8:00 AM and as late as 11:00 PM.
Base rate is $13.00/hr
($12.00/hr plus $1.00/hr upon completing your work agreement)
In addition to Retail Shop Clerk responsibilities, a Retail Shop Supervisor operates the shop when the shop Manager is not present. This includes supervising employees, assigning projects, counting the money at the end of the shift, printing reports at the end of the shift, helping clerks if they have a problem, helping customers with problems, training new clerks, locking the doors at the end of the night or opening the doors at the start of the day and getting the cash registers ready for the day. You will work closely with the shop manager, communicating any problems with an employee, product, or customer. Shop is open as early as 8:00 AM and as late as 11:00 PM. Also includes scooping ice cream cones, weighing fudge, and washing dishes.
Base rate is $13.50/hr
($12.50/hr plus $1.00/hr upon completing your work agreement)
How to Apply
Your dates of availability affect your chances of employment. In general, the later you can stay, the better your chances will be for receiving an offer of employment. Be realistic and specific about the exact dates you will be available, as these dates will become part of your employment agreement.
We look forward to hearing from you. An online application is available, linked below.
* Once an application makes it through the initial screening process we rely on phone interviews to give us additional insight before making and employment offer. We try to have many of our employment decisions completed by April. You will be notified by mail on the status of your application.
The Acadia Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, religion, national origin, age (except where age is a bona fide occupational qualification), physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran status.