Though we are still closed to guests due to Covid, as of Fall 2020 we accepting applicants to our work-study program. All new residents must have health insurance, fund their own transportation and follow our Covid safety policies which include a 2 week quarantine upon arrival and best practices to keep each other safe.
There are 4 related non-profit organizations with activities at Ratna Ling -- the Ratna Ling Retreat Center, Dharma Publishing, the Yeshe De Text Preservation Project and Sarnath International Nyingma Institute. All work-study participants live onsite at Ratna Ling and participate equally in community life. Work-study positions are available in the following areas:
Ratna Ling Retreat Center
- Building and landscape maintenance
- Vegetarian cooking and baking
- Marketing, graphic design and social media
- Program coordination
Yeshe De Text Preservation Project
- Sacred text preservation (book binding, printing and other book-making activities)
- Sales, marketing & promotions
- Sacred art production
- Administration (including accounting and bookkeeping)
Sarnath International Nyingma Institute
- Assistant to the Director position
To learn more about living and volunteering at Ratna Ling please see our website.
We are always happy to receive inquiries from experienced vegetarian chefs/cooks to help make our kitchen run smoothly and create delicious vegetarian meals for our residents and guests. Our kitchen staff is an integral part of both the residential and the guest experience at Ratna Ling and as such are highly valued members of our community. Our kitchen is professionally outfitted and well-stocked, allow your care and creativity to flourish.
For applicants who love to cook, but do not want to serve in the kitchen full-time, we can discuss splitting time between kitchen and other activities such as gardening or helping in other projects onsite.
Depending on the current configuration if our kitchen staff, responsibilities can include:
- Preparing buffet-style vegetarian meals for 20-50 guests and staff for two meals per day Monday - Saturday
- Menu and meal planning
- Food ordering and kitchen inventory management
- General kitchen maintenance, cleaning, and sanitation
- Management of kitchen staff and scheduling
- Buffet set-up
- Past experience working in a retreat center, commercial kitchen and/or restaurant as a chef/cook
- Appreciation for vegetarian cuisine
- Reliable, hard-working nature
- Organized with an attention to detail
- Experience with international cuisine is a plus
- Baking skills are always welcome!
- Creative and flexible in a rapidly changing environment
- Willingness to work as part of a team
The Yeshe De Text Preservation Project was founded in 1983 by Tibetan refugee and Buddhist master, Tarthang Tulku Rinpoche and is dedicated to preserving the Tibetan Culture. A non-profit organization committed to the replication of rare Buddhist teachings, our volunteers work as a team year-round to make Tibetan books and prayer wheels to be given away at the annual World Peace Ceremony in Bodh Gaya, India–– the site of the Buddha’s Enlightenment.
Our team is motivated by knowing that we make a difference by impacting the lives of thousands of refugees in Asia. We give our time and energy freely to save Tibetan texts that contain teachings that would otherwise be lost.
Work at the book bindery is hands-on and production oriented. Areas of work may include:
- Operating bindery machines like the collator, gold stamper, trimmer, and folder
- Assembling traditional Tibetan books and wrapping them in colorful fabric
- Putting books in slipcases and boxing them up for shipment to India
In 2021, we are planning additional projects to help support our overall work including
- Installing solar panels to provide sustainable power for our printing and book-binding machinery
- Building a warehouse to augment our long-term book storage capacity
- Engaging in controlled burns and other fire-prevention activities on the 120 Ratna Ling Retreat Center land which hosts the Yeshe De Project
How to Apply
Please email your resume or cover letter along with a photo or headshot to email@example.com. We receive abundant inquiries and will work to get back to you as quickly as possible. Thank you!