Come make an impact on campers' lives in a supportive and inclusive environment where you will make new friends and create memories that will last a lifetime!
Since 1945, North Star Camp has been providing meaningful summer experiences for kids from all over the US. We offer a diverse program with athletics, watersports, arts and adventure activities as well as a top notch wilderness trip program.
North Star Camp is a premier residential camp for boys in Hayward, Wisconsin, set on 120 acres and surrounded by 2.5 miles of beautiful Northwoods shoreline.
About North Star Camp
North Star Camp was started in 1945 by Lou and Renee Rosenblum. The summer of 2024 will be our 80th consecutive summer, serving tens of thousands of campers over that time. From the moment you arrive at the shores of Spider Lake, you will forever be a member of the North Star Camp family.
North Star Camp is a traditional all-boys sleepaway camp located in Hayward, WI. Each summer, over 300 campers and 110 staff members from around the world come to camp to make new friends, create memories that will last a lifetime, try new activities and sports, and grow as individuals. We guarantee that camp will be fun and that there will plenty of laughter.
Staff dates for 2024 are June 4 - August 9, with the ability to stay and earn additional compensation by working post-camp through late August.
The Employee Experience
Are you looking for the most rewarding, fun, and memorable job of your life?
Where else could you get paid to:
- Work outdoors all summer teaching activities you are passionate about?
- Make a positive impact on young children’s lives?
- Laugh, cry, sing and cheer for your job?
- Experience new adventures in the Northwoods of Wisconsin?
- Meet people from all over the world?
- Develop critical skills that will impact your future career goals?
- Have fun for two months straight?!
There is no better leadership training and enrichment opportunity found anywhere else than working at camp. You will improve your communication skills working with people of all ages and backgrounds, develop conflict resolution skills whenever an issue comes up in your cabin, learn how to balance your time during a very busy day, and experience personal growth along the way. Not to mention, you’ll make memories that will last a lifetime and create new friendships with people from all around the world. And get paid to have fun all summer with very limited expenses! Every year we hear from previous staff members how impactful working at North Star was in helping them develop skills that benefited them later in their careers.
We won't sugarcoat it though: working at camp is a demanding job. The hours are long and there is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. It will challenge you physically, mentally, and emotionally. The rewards of working at camp, though, greatly outweigh the challenges of the job. You have the opportunity to positively impact the lives of children and other staff, spend your summer outdoors, having fun. Come join us!
The ideal North Star Camp staff member is someone who:
- wants to be a positive role model for children (no experience required, but a desire to work with kids is a must!)
- wants to spend their summers outdoors, making new friends, and trying new activities
- is a team player and excellent communicator
- is open to receiving (and giving) feedback
- is a great listener and someone willing to support others
- is willing to share their hidden talents with camp (can you jump rope while balancing a cup of water on your head as you sing “Wagon Wheel” with perfect pitch? Know how to play the ukulele and harmonica? Campers love to see our staff members’ hidden talents and we’d love to see yours too!)
- ready for the best summer of their life!
Room and Board
Room and board are included in all compensation packages. Cabin counselors (male only) live in a cabin with 8-14 campers and 2-3 other counselors. All camper cabins have electricity. Camper cabins use a shared washhouse for showers and bathrooms.
All other staff members (trippers, office, health center, kitchen, maintenance, day camp, etc.) live in "out of cabin" staff housing which is generally a shared cabin with 2-5 other staff members and a private bathroom.
The food at camp is seriously delicious. We have three home-cooked meals a day. In addition to the main courses, we have a breakfast bar (cereal, fruit) in the morning and a salad bar at lunch and dinner. Fruit is available in the afternoon for a midday snack. In the evenings after the campers are in bed, we have a staff snack. We are able to accommodate food allergies and dietary restrictions, including vegetarian and gluten-free. We promise that you will be well fed at North Star!
Why work at North Star Camp?
- Spend the summer outdoors, working with kids - the opportunity to be a role model, mentor, teacher and friend
- Work in a community where you have a purpose and ability to change lives
- Lead or assist in activities you are passionate about
- Participate in amazing programs, camp traditions, special events, and trips
- Create friendships and memories that will last a lifetime
- Real world networking and mentorship opportunities with other youth development professionals
- Personal and Professional Growth
- Develop interpersonal skills that will be valuable in future career opportunities (communication, time management, conflict resolution, patience, teamwork, and more)
- Summer salary beginning at $2300 for freshmen in college with the ability to earn more based on age, years of professional childhood experience, and expertise in teaching specialty programs/activities
- Housing, meals, and laundry included in compensation (an over $2000 value!)
- $300 travel reimbursement for domestic staff; $500+ travel reimbursement for international staff depending on home location
- North Star will pay for all certifications (WFR, lifeguard, belay, riflery, archery)
Getting Here and Getting Around
North Star Camp is located in northwest Wisconsin in the small town of Hayward. The closest major airport is Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, which is approximately 3 hours from camp. We will coordinate travel with staff members who are flying in. A North Star Camp staff member will meet you at the airport to greet you and drive you to camp.
Many staff members choose to drive to camp as well. This provides staff members with an option to use their personal vehicle on time off. For those who do not have personal vehicles at camp, North Star provides one camp van for staff to borrow on days or nights off.
Domestic staff members receive a $300 travel reimbursement to help cover the cost of airline tickets and/or gas.
All staff members have one day off and one night off per week. There are a lot of really fun options for days and nights off in the area!
In Hayward, you can:
- Explore Main Street and all the fun shops that reside there
- Check out the carnival and live music during Muskie Fest (in June)
- Attend the Lumberjack World Championships (in July)
- Visit the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and walk through the 143-foot long muskie (largest in the world)
- Grab some cheese curds at Angler's Bar and Grill with friends
- Debate which ice cream parlor in town has the best ice cream - Sundaes or West's
- Pick up some homemade fudge at Tremblay's
- Grab some tubes and float down the Namekagon River with friends on a beautiful day
- Have a relaxing afternoon by catching the latest movie
- Eat lunch and/or dinner at any of the delicious local restaurants
Many staff members also like to go to Duluth, Minnesota on time off (1.5 hours away) where there are even more restaurants, a beach along Lake Superior, a minor league baseball team, an awesome aquarium, and more.
Occasionally staff members will travel to Minneapolis (3 hours away) for a Minnesota Twins game, a visit to the Mall of America, or a concert.
For staff who are not on time off, we have nightly staff basketball games, staff snacks, and many staff will hang out in the Lodge playing cards, watching movies, playing music, and more!
How to Apply
Interested in hearing more? Great! We'd love to hear from you. Please fill out our interest form via the apply now link below. Once we receive your information, an Assistant Director will reach out to schedule an informational interview.
Our hiring process is:
1) Initial interview
2) Second round interview
3) Check references
4) Quick chat with the owner/director
5) Receive a job offer
6) Accept the job offer and get ready for the best summer of your life!