Join us in Maine in 2024 to make the world better and more beautiful!
Arcadia has been helping women for over 107 years to develop the self-confidence and life skills that are an integral part of leading a full, successful life in the 21st century. Counselors play an instrumental role in Arcadia’s goals for campers to build confidence, skills, encourage healthy risk taking, and heighten their sensitivity and awareness of the out of doors.
We are situated lakeside on over 365 wooded acres in the Sebago Lake region of western Maine, which provides convenient access to both the wilderness of the white mountains and the city of Portland.
About Camp Arcadia
Spending a summer at Camp Arcadia is much more than just a summer job!
As a counselor at Camp Arcadia you will make memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Join us and experience an amazing summer of professional and personal growth while sharing your talents and unique skills with fellow counselors and campers.
The Employee Experience
Camp Arcadia staff come from around the US and the globe and have a variety of different backgrounds. We all have one thing in common: a love championing children and helping them reach their full potential.
As a member of the Camp Arcadia staff you will have the opportunity to:
- Actively enjoy the outdoors! Our camp has 367 wooded acres and a mile of shoreline along Pleasant Lake for all to experience
- Make a big impact on the lives of girls ages 7-17
- Teach life and specialty skills while creating the magic of summer camp
- Develop your own skills and work experience through new and varied leadership experiences. Counselors leave Camp with improved communication, collaboration, conflict resolution, and decision-making skills; these skills will stick with you no matter what profession you choose next
- Make memories and friendships that will last a lifetime!
Our counselors are actively and enthusiastically involved in our camp, teaching/working in their activity, and contributing to community life. The activities at Arcadia have a common focus to promote health and wellness, environmental issues, global awareness, and personal expression. We view our entire staff as an integral part of the success of Camp Arcadia.
We are looking for staff who will:
- Be a positive role model for our campers
- Embrace camp life and culture with enthusiasm and curiosity
- Engage energetically and authentically within our camp community
- Make this summer the best ever, because they are a part of it!
We have job opportunities in Wilderness Skills/Campcraft, Hiking Trips, Waterfront, Riding, Archery, Leadership, and more! You can click here for more information about our open positions.
All staff must be available June 12- August 11th 2024. Trip leaders and department heads will need to arrive earlier in June. There are opportunities for staff to work Opening Camp, Family Camp, and Closing Camp to extend their contracts earlier in June and later in August.
Room and Board
Camp Arcadia is a residential setting with rustic, yet comfortable cabins with views of Pleasant Lake. All cabins are technology-free. Some cabins have electricity and most have bathroom facilities. Cabins closest to the lake share a common bathroom. There is a shower house that is centrally located to all the cabins. Counselors who are not women share separate cabins located in our staff housing area.
- Paid training, weekly salary, and travel reimbursement based on distance from Maine
- Weekly laundry service (or you may choose to use our coin-operated machines)
- Uniform t-shirts
- Wi-Fi in a staff area located away from the cabins
- Individual lockers and locks to keep personal/valuable items
- Transportation to/from Portland
- 8-day staff orientation that will provide you with the tools and professional development needed for a success season of working at camp
- For some roles, opportunities to take part in certification courses or clinics to build your skills and resume
- Internships, Practicums, Field-based Independent Studies credit and opportunities available
- Unique new leadership development program for candidates of color interested in working in the outdoors industry
- Access to a strong alumni network that spans professions and around the world!
Getting Here and Getting Around
Counselors are encouraged to bring personal cars to explore the surrounding wilderness and city of Portland during time off, although regular trips are provided. On days off we provide transportation to destinations in Maine and New Hampshire. When you arrive or depart camp, we can support you getting from camp to Portland, and busses and trains run frequently from Boston/Logan airport and Portland.
Our staff has fun 24/7. Our staff lounge provides space to relax with your team. The staff lounge has Wifi, a secure locker to charge your personal devices, and games and sports equipment to enjoy during free time. Whether it is our outings during Orientation, surprise staff snacks or swag, or our end-of-summer staff party, it’s important to us that our team have time to laugh and unwind in between supporting our campers.
Each week staff have one day off, and they love to take advantage of the beauty and wonder of Maine. Often, they hike in the white mountains of Maine and New Hampshire, take a trip to Portland or Freeport for sightseeing and shopping or enjoy a day at the beach. There are many lakes in the region for canoeing, kayaking, and swimming, and Hackers Hill (a destination only minutes away from camp) provides an exceptional 360-view of Maine. Excursions to nearby towns such as Naples, Windham and Raymond are provided for shopping supplies and to experience local eats.
How to Apply
Camp Arcadia is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and accepting environment for all employees.
Please click the apply button below to start your online application today. We look forward to connecting with you!