We are continuously hiring full time year-round positions! Our seasonal summer positions open up in April with onboarding and training with employment ending in October. Whether you are looking to join the community indefinitely or come for a summer, we encourage you to apply!
Living expenses are minimal for employees at Breitenbush and many employees save a significant portion of their wages and live very comfortably. We are an employee-owned cooperative corporation and we offer many benefits: housing, meals, utilities, wi-fi, discounted massages, daily wellbeing classes, co-op membership opportunity*, health insurance*, dental insurance*, paid time off*, paid wellness leave and more, all add up to a generous compensation package. *Benefits afforded to full time, year-round positions.
A strong service ethic, positive attitude, and commitment is required for all positions. It is our mission to provide a safe and potent environment where people can renew and evolve in ways they never imagined. We are in service to our guests and stewards of the land, ensuring access to the hot springs and healing water to all beings who respect them. Whether you are leading repairs on the hydroelectric system, planting trees, cooking meals, turning beds, or managing reservations, we are all committed to providing an awesome experience for our guests and ourselves.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
The Off-grid Systems Technician is a full time employee on the Systems Team. This is a self managed team that is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all Breitenbush Hot Springs utilities, including the hydroelectric generator, backup diesel generators, domestic water pumping and filtration plant, geothermal heating systems, mineral water systems and pools, and septic systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform daily checks of all systems and maintain desired operating performance within set specifications and regulatory guidelines
- Gather and record operating performance data
- Analyze operating data trends to predict preventative maintenance tasks and diagnose system anomalies
- Maintain compliance records and submit in a timely manner per regulations
- Thoroughly document all work in Task Management Software (Clickup)
- Maintain all system components in good working order
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Collect samples for compliance and submit in a timely manner per regulations
- Work in confined spaces
- Participate in on call program and respond to after hours emergencies
- Utilize HMI for systems monitoring and control
- Evaluate and plan and complete repair projects and assemble parts list with costs, to minimize impact to guests and community
- Participate in seasonal snow removal as needed
- Participate in team, department and coop coordination meetings
- Engage with guests to provide direction and assistance as necessary
- Physical stamina and the ability to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances and work in confined spaces
- Proficient with one or more of the following: water line construction, general construction and/or operation of a water filtration or sewage utility, installing, replacing, repairing and maintaining water mains, valves, pumps, meters and hydrants. design and installation of electrical systems, wiring and controls.
- Excellent team participation and collaboration
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent service ethic
- Complex systems troubleshooting and problem solving
- Valid Oregon driver’s license
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Effective communicator
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Desired Qualifications (a qualified candidate doesn't need to possess each of these skills but must have a basic working knowledge or ability to learn with training):
- Oregon Drinking Water Systems and Operation Certification; Cross Connection Certification; and/or construction experience.
- Familiarity with systems automation, monitoring and control (SCADA, HMI, PLC, etc.)
- Familiarity with off grid/alternative energy power generation and distribution.
- Heavy equipment operation
- Familiarity with Google Workspace
- Valid Oregon CDL
- Proficiency with task management software (Clickup)
Compensation and Benefits:
- $14.20 per hour
- Health insurance (100% premium covered by employer)
- Dental Care (100% premium covered by employer)
- Organic, vegetarian meals are provided during your working shift
- Generous paid time off and wellness leave accruals
- Employer-provided housing at hot springs retreat (potential for space for your RV/Tiny home)
- Utilities (including internet)
- Participate in and build community in the Cascade Mountains
- Use of hot springs, sauna
- Discounted massages
- Access to Daily Well Being programs like Yoga, Meditation, Dance, Discounted Body Work, etc…
- Co-op membership opportunity
- Walk to work across a footbridge that spans the Breitenbush River
*Benefits subject to change based on the needs of the Cooperative
Breitenbush Hot Springs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Breitenbush does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, parental status, military service, or association with a protected class.
Network Administrator and Automation Technician - Full-Time Year Round Position
Breitenbush Hot Springs (BHS), a worker-owned cooperative, has an immediate opening on our Information Services and Automation Team for a full-time Network and Automation Technician. This position works to provide end-user technical support and maintain hardware and software infrastructures for a unique Apple OSX-based network that provides a broad range of services. This is a full-stack position that includes all aspects of network design, installation, programming, maintenance and end-user technical support for a remote network that provides a broad range of services for a thriving business and small community. In addition, this position is a member of the Automation team that is responsible for designing, selecting, installing, calibrating and maintaining instrumentation and controls associated with the Breitenbush’s utility systems. This is a year-round, full-time position.
BHS is a remote, rustic retreat and conference center located ten miles north of Detroit, Oregon. The community is surrounded by the Willamette National Forest and has access to countless outdoor activities. For more information about the community and the business, you are encouraged to visit our website at www.breitenbush.com.
- Thorough working knowledge of Google Workspace and associated apps.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Apple OS X GUI and the ability to troubleshoot and solve common end-user problems.
- Knowledge of Ubiquiti mesh and the UnFi Network Controller.
- Proficiency in design, installation, programming and maintenance of network infrastructure, including inside plant, outside plant, in-ground, riser, and radio tower installations.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Very high degree of integrity.
- Curiosity and an interest in learning.
- Ability to live and work closely in an off-grid intentional community.
- Positive attitude, congenial and outgoing.
- Physically fit - all community members participate in keeping paths clear of snow in the winter.
In addition to these minimum requirements, preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate proficiency with one or more of the following:
- Sophos UTM.
- UHF radio programming and maintenance.
- Windows 10/11.
- Ubuntu Linux.
- MS Visio.
- Cloud services such as Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud.
- VoIP/SIP protocols.
- Telephony (PBX, premises wiring, etc.)
- Low voltage electronics (PLC, relays, sensors, etc.)
- Point-to-point 5.8Ghz microwave backhaul; installation and configuration.
- Proficiency with systems automation, monitoring and control (SCADA, HMI, PLC, MODBUS Protocol, PID Loop programming etc.)
- Proficiency with Inductive Automation’s Ignition HMI programming including Python programming, Ignition expression language, SQL Database query language, graphical interface design, HTML familiarity and proficiency in the creation and function of User Defined Data Types.
- Proficiency with Automation Direct Do-More PLC ladder logic programming, including use of User Defined Data Types, analog 4-20mA controls, control of Vector Frequency Drives and MODBUS communications protocol.
- Living in community, off-grid living.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Maintain the integrity of the on- and off-property network, phone systems, computers, peripherals, all physical and virtual components of the network and phone systems, and all radios owned by the business such that they provide reliable, secure and consistent connectivity and operability.
- Provide on-call user technical support via radio, phone and our web-based ticketing system.
- Provide and assist with end-user training.
- Work with the Administration Team to create and administer all network and cloud-based user accounts.
- Manage software updates on Servers and all client machines.
- Maintain and administer data backup systems.
- Serve as an advisor and consultant to the Board of Directors, the Membership, the Business Director, Marketing Director, Finance Director and other stakeholders regarding the use and maintenance of the network, phone systems, and radios, network security, acquisition of new hardware, software and other technologies, and planning for future expansion.
- Work with the BOD and the Membership to create and administer guidelines and agreements for the community and business use of the network, phone systems and radios.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with outside vendors for purchasing, repair, maintenance and consultation.
- Create and maintain a system of documentation and storage for all computers, radios and software installed on business-owned computers, and maintain up-to-date service logs for all network, phone system and radio components.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the technologies used in the network and phone systems and keep up to date with developing technologies, available software and hardware upgrades and security issues that may affect operability of the network, phone and radio systems.
- Administer, troubleshoot and maintain all elements of our Programmable Logic Controller and Human Machine Interface network.
- Design and install new network infrastructure (this will include building outside plant junction boxes, pulling wire, installing and punching down new network nodes, climbing radio towers, etc.)
- Keep all network-related licenses current (FCC, Security Certificates, Firewall licenses, etc.)
- Provide AudioVisual/Technical setup and support for Events (Concerts, Workshops, etc.)
- Maintain a safe, clean and orderly work environment in all network and automation work and storage spaces.
- Simple, rent-free housing in the Breitenbush Community, all utilities provided
- Full medical/dental and vision coverage
- Full access to all guest and staff facilities (hot springs, sauna, trails, etc.)
- Discounted massages
- Living off the grid in the woods on the western slopes of the Cascade Mountains
- Ability to participate in many events and workshops, often at staff discount
Compensation: Full-time regular hire positions at Breitenbush make Oregon Minimum wage.
How to Apply
Applying is easy! Apply online at our career portal through the button below.
Submit your resume and cover letter as attachments, and complete the online application. Be sure to complete the application, otherwise, we might not see it!
There are many positions open now, and new opportunities pop up year-round. Most positions advertised now are full-time year-round. Our seasonal positions begin in March or April, and you can apply for those now too! Just let us know in the application or interview which type of position you are most interested in.
We look forward to meeting you!