Work on the Pacific Coastline, hike in temperate rainforests and trek on mighty glaciers!
Adventure Guiding Company Seeking Marketing & Guide Staff for Summer Season
Above & Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is a locally owned and operated company who have been exploring the Tongass National Forest, glaciers of the Juneau Icefield, and waters of Alaska’s inside passage since 2002. ABAK's goal is to offer our clients an opportunity to explore any of the environments found around Juneau by kayak, canoe, or foot.
Located in Juneau Alaska, nestled in a beautiful temperate rain forest, surrounded by snowy peaks, and right on the Pacific Ocean. We are a town of 30,000 people but with a small town feel. Juneau has an incredibly high quality of life with an active music, culture, and bar scene plus more hiking trails than roads. Spend your summer exploring from ocean to ice in this wilderness playground.
Jobs in the Spotlight
About Above & Beyond Alaska Wilderness Trips
At Above & Beyond Alaska, our goal is to provide a complete Alaskan wilderness experience for our clients by sharing our passion, technical know-how, and natural history knowledge. Our goal is find well rounded team players with a passion for the outdoors and a willingness to put the clients experience first. We have a huge variety of trips, from day to overnight, from sea kayaking to ice trekking, and more. You do not have to be an expert in every field, but be open to growing your technical skills and sharing your stories with the clients and the team.
We are the premier wilderness guides in Alaska and also work with major production from around the world including Nat. Geo, the Travel Channel, and we even took Martha Stewart ice trekking once! Summer 2017 we welcomed Oprah, the BBC, and many others to Juneau and spent the day showing them around the Mendenhall Glacier, the Tongass Rainforest, and Inside Passage. If you have production experience, please let us know. If you would like to gain experience in the production world we can help you grow your skills and show you the ropes.
We are now hiring the best of the best in Wilderness Guides for Summer 2018. We require a love of hiking, kayaking, canoeing, and exploring with a positive attitude and team orientated mindset. So if you want to learn from the professionals and have the most diverse guiding experiences during your time in Alaska, apply to join our team today!
The Employee Experience
Alaska truly is the final wilderness frontier. You feel very small wherever you go in the magnificent scenery. You also get unlimited outdoor opportunities. Do you want to sea kayak today up the rugged coastline? Or maybe go ice trekking on a glacier that is thousands of years old? Or how about a hike through the lush and beautiful rain forest? One thing that we highly recommend asking every potential employer is, "how many days off per week I am expected to work?" The truth is most companies require 6 to 7 days on per week all summer, which limits your free time for adventure. We work very hard to try and provide more flexibility with 5 days on and 2 days off in a row whenever possible. We want you to have amazing experiences in your free time to improve your skills, stories, and experiences. We don't guarantee it, but your time and quality of life is very important to us.
At Above & Beyond Alaska we value nature and the wilderness above all else. We are here to preserve and educate. No trace left behind and take nothing but photos is our philosophy. If you share these values you will be surrounded by a large and experienced staff who can help and mentor you to grow in the areas you are interested in. Love kayak but want to learn ice trekking? No problem! Let's make a day of it and have an adventure!
ABAK is seeking applicants who:
- Are independent and reliable
- Have the flexibility to work an ever-changing schedule
- Consistently demonstrate empathy and enthusiasm
- Work well as part of a team and have strong communication skills
- Enjoy working with people and providing service that goes above and beyond
- Place an emphasis on safety and demonstrate conservative judgment and decision-making
- Love the outdoors…and don’t mind the rain
- Have the desire and ability to share their knowledge of the natural environments of Southeast Alaska and the history of Juneau and the Tongass
- Are open to learning and expanding their “people skills”, technical know-how and natural history knowledge
- Have physical stamina, fitness, and no potential physical limitations and can lift and carry at least 50 pounds
- Have an unflagging honesty, sense of humor and respect for all others
- Are willing to work where needed and fill different roles for the company when asked
- All employees must be First Aid and CPR certified. (American Red Cross class recommended)
- All Wilderness Guides must have a WFR or EMT certification.
For Guide applicants:
- Be willing to learn the technical skills needed to guide glacier trekking, canoeing or kayaking trips (i.e. crevasse rescue, proper trekking, and ice climbing technique, top-rope site management, spotting techniques, proper paddle strokes, assisted re-entries, advanced capsize rescues)
- Hold a WFR or EMT certification
- 1-2 years outdoor guiding experience preferred but not required.
- A love of the outdoors and experience in a variety of outdoor settings.
- Team player with client needs as the top priority
Room and Board
We provide housing placement assistance and roommate matching. Juneau is an easy place to find summer housing and if you have a specific price range or requirements we will help you locate the best fit in the area for you. Staff will make every effort to assist in helping locate and solidify housing.
- End of season bonus based on performance
- Guide staff regularly receive gratuities from guests
- Paid training
- Opportunity to purchase discounted and wholesale outdoor products from the top manufacturers.
- Free seat on the ABAK trips in your time off (when open seats are available)
- Use of gear, equipment, kayaks, paddleboards, and more during your free time
- Discounts on ABAK trips for friends and family
- Mentorship with staff of professional guides, regardless of your position in the team we have excellent leaders who will help and train in every aspect of wilderness guiding, helping you become the best!
Getting Here and Getting Around
Juneau Alaska can be accessed by plane or ferry only. Daily flights from Seattle to Juneau are available with Alaska Airlines. Staff will be available to help coordinate and support transportation to Juneau.
Its Alaska! The only limit is your imagination!
- whale watching
- bear watching
- ice trekking
- zip lining
How to Apply
Apply online via the link provided. We look forward to hearing from you!