Immerse Yourself in Nature on Fox Island
The Alaska Collection, an experience by Pursuit, offers several lodging and attractions including the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge, Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge, Seward Windsong Lodge, and Kenai Fjords Tours.
45 minutes by boat outside of Seward, Alaska
About Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge
Blue-green waters teeming with wildlife, kayak excursions, wild Alaska salmon and remote wilderness cabins. There is no better way to experience this magnificent region than in the peaceful seclusion of the Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge on Fox Island. Our rustic, cozy cabins (eco friendly) are cradled on the picturesque shore of Fox Island's Halibut Cove. We welcome the elite students and summer staff to our private island to provide exceptional service to our guests.
Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge is an isolated facility located on Fox Island. There are no roads and the only access is by Kenai Fjords Tours boat. It is located in the heart of Resurrection Bay, approximately 12 nautical miles (a 45 minute boat transfer) from the town of Seward. The island houses two State Marine Parks and measures three square miles. Alaska Collection owns the portion of the island occupied by the Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge and Day Lodge facilities, the rest of the island is uninhabited. This wilderness destination offers an amazing opportunity for visitors and employees to be immersed in nature within a temperate rain forest. All of our facilities run on solar and propane generator power. We have our own water and waste systems. We expect that our employees support our eco friendly environment and help us conserve energy and resources as much as possible.
Early May to the second week of September
The Employee Experience
You get to experience what few will ever do. This is a "bucket list" destination! No cars, no billboards, no high-rise resorts. This is the raw, unaltered wilderness in one of the remaining pristine places left. See glaciers while you still can. Pick wild blueberries until your fingers hurt. Watch humpback whales breech or sea otters play outside your window. Enjoy being something greater than yourself. We value integrity, a strong work ethic, and team work. During your time here, you will cultivate long lasting friendships and experience iconic, unforgettable moments at Fox Island Wilderness Lodge.
We are looking for candidates with a positive attitude, friendly, professional, committed and hard working. Our staff works toward a common goal of complete customer satisfaction. Our facility operates both a prime rib and salmon buffet to over 35,000 passengers a season and an exclusive wilderness lodge with 8 cabins catering to 1500 guests per season. All of our candidates should be positive team players and able to “wear many hats.” Because our lodge is isolated and remote, the service is catered to each guests needs. The interaction between our employees and our guests is extensive, providing a relationship that is more personal than at a large hotel. The Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge holds a high standard of customer service with the expectation that all our employees conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner at all times. Customer Service is our number one priority. It is important that we always keep the guest in mind while carrying out our daily tasks. How our employees interact with our customers is a direct reflection of the type of service we are providing at the lodge.
Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge will continue the high quality of service we provide with help from you as part of our diverse team!
Room and Board
Room and Board is included for Fox Island Employees. The Crew Housing on Fox Island was rebuilt in 2013 and has all the basic necessities, including wireless internet. There is a large common area with a TV to watch movies, kitchen with propane stove and refrigerator, 5 large shared bedrooms (all units split by male and female rooms) and shared bathrooms/showers. There are no laundry facilities located on the island.
The crew facility in Seward is a shared hostel-style housing unit with four rooms (2 bunk beds in each room) for our employees. It is located upstairs from our main warehouse. You will be assigned a unit with several others (all units split by male and female rooms) and rotate out of the room for your days off. There is a common lounge and kitchen area, free laundry facilities, WiFi and 2 shared bathrooms. The Seward housing facility is centrally located and within walking distance to all major businesses.
Special Note – Because of our remoteness and housing needs we cannot accommodate spouses or families on Fox Island or in Seward.
The following charges apply if you are offered housing:
Any damage fees will automatically be deducted from your year end bonus.
Housing is a community experience and is part of your employment. We expect that all rules and policies are to help ensure a quality, peaceful living experience for everyone. Violation of housing rules will result in loss of housing privileges.
- Staff housing is a "dry camp." No alcohol is allowed in housing units.
- Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Employees work variable shifts.
- Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge is a zero tolerance drug free operation. Our facilities are smoke free and drug free; no smoking inside any building and only permitted in designated areas.
- Pets are not allowed in company housing.
In addition to competitive wages we offer a seasonal bonus of 5% for a new employee and 10% for eligible returning employees of wages earned. Bonuses may be earned for completion of hiring agreement.
Discounts on Alaska Collection day cruises, discounts on lodge room rates, and many other discounts available on activities in the area and in the state.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Travel to Seward
- Flights - Closest commercial Airport (Ted Stevens International) is in Anchorage, the flight from Seattle is approximately 3 hours in duration.
- Driving- It takes approximately two and a half hours to drive south from Anchorage to Seward along the Seward Highway, designated a Scenic Byway. This is a very spectacular drive.
- Train - Rail travel is available and employees can receive a 50% discount (May 11 thru Sept 15) if space is available. To receive the discount, a faxed request on company letter head, signed by a Manager must be sent to the Alaska Railroad.
- Pre-Season Service - Limited, no cost, space available transportation from Anchorage to Seward with Kenai Fjords may be possible for employees traveling between March 29 and May 16. Bookings are required and should be made 48 hours in advance. Pickups are in the early morning and only available at select hotels or locations. Please call 800-270-1238 for additional details.
- Shuttle Bus - Travel is available to Seward year round via Seward Bus Line 907-224-3608. They will provide a drop off at Kenai Fjords Tours on request and pick up from the airport for $45 plus tax.
- Coach Service - The Park Connection (May 17 thru Sept 17) offers two departures a day from Kenai Fjords Tours main office. Employees can receive a 50% discount. ($28 plus tax).
Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge is located on Fox Island and transportation is provided by Kenai Fjords Tours. Walking is the only mode of transportation for our .25 mile stretch of beach that we live and work on. In Seward housing is located a few blocks from the small boat harbor, where Kenai Fjords Tours is located and easily accessible by car, bike, or on foot. Local taxi services are available 24 hours a day.
- Hiking on island
- Marine tours (We offer our employee discounts)
- Kayaking, both lake and sea
- Beach combing
- Studying nature
- Sea Life Center
- Shopping, Restaurants, Gift Shops, Grocery Stores
- Fitness centers
Commonly open positions:
- Island Chefs / Cooks
- Island Maintenance
- Guest Services/ Room Attendant / Guest Activities / Servers
- Customer Service Agent / Dishwasher / Gift Shop