Glacier Raft Company's season starts in May and runs through September for most departments.
We have employment opportunities in various departments for the upcoming 2021 Summer Season;
- Fishing Guide
- Whitewater Guide
- Glacier Outdoor Center Retail Staff
- Kitchen Assistant
- Grounds and Maintenance
- Bus Drivers (must have valid Class B CDL)
We are an Orivs Endorsed Outfitter Located in West Glacier, MT. We fish the rivers that border Glacier National Park. We're permitted to fish the Upper Middle Fork Wilderness Section in the Great Bear, Lower Middle Fork, and North Fork of the Flathead Rivers.
Fishing Guides need to be proficient in rowing Class II, III whitewater. We prefer guides to come from a whitewater background due to the nature of our rivers as well as our proximity to emergency services and cell coverage. Guides are expected to have an extensive knowledge of fishing on freestone rivers of the West.
All Fishing Guides must be 18 years or older, Obtain or possess a Montana Guides Licence through the Montana Board of Outfitters, Valid CPR and First Aid or Advanced Medical Certification, and have a savvy sense for customer service on and off the water.
Fishing Guides are required to have the following gear:
- 3 fly rods and reels.
- Tippet and leader.
- Montana Guides License
- Guide Tags need to be displayed and visible from both sides of the boat
- First Aid Card.
- CPR card
- Swiftwater Rescue Certified (can be obtained through GRC's Spring Training)
- Knowledge of fishing regulations, etiquette, fish, and proper fish handling.
Guide Duties and Responsibilities
Duties, responsibilities, and qualifications are taught and can be acquired through Glacier Raft Companies 6-Day River School and training program in the spring.
- Safely navigate Oar / paddle rafts down Class I – III rivers
- Work positively with other team members to implement all aspects of a GRC trip in order to provide guests with a safe, meaningful and memorable experience
- Excellent risk management capability in remote/backcountry settings
- Give effective and demonstrative safety talks
- Engage and respond to guests in a positive, friendly and supportive manner, including meeting their expressed and unexpressed needs
- Provide meaningful interpretation to our guests on natural and cultural history topics pertinent to each trip, such as geology, Wild and Scenic Rivers, Flora and Fauna, Ecology
- Prepare delicious, appealing riverside meals
- Upkeep of GRC equipment and facilities
- Professionally represent GRC’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Follow all policies and procedures as outlined in GRC’s Guide Handbook
- Know and comply with National Forest Service Regulations
- Know GRC’s Emergency Action Plan in the event of unforeseen circumstances
- Legally allowed to work in the United States
- Successful completion of GRC’s 6-Day guide school or approved equivalent required prior to first commercial trip.
- Swiftwater Rescue Certification (can be obtained through GRC’s 6-Day Guide School)
- CPR and First Aid Certification or Advanced First Aid Certification WFR, WEMT, EMT, Or OEC preferred along with current CPR. GRC hosts 2 different dates for CPR/FA Training during the spring that can be completed prior or during spring training
- A positive, supportive team player
- Excellent verbal communication skills, Customer Service and People Skills
- Physically fit, able to work long hours in the field and lift and carry heavy objects over awkward terrain
- Willing and eager to interact positively with a range of age groups, from small children to seniors
- Experience in guest services or group leadership preferred
- Understanding of natural history in and around Glacier National Park
- Fluent English
- Willingness to work all aspects of the Job both on and off river
Glacier Outdoor Center Retail Associate
Glacier Outdoor Center is currently accepting applications for enthusiastic, sales oriented and customer focused Retail Store Associates for the 2020 summer season at our store in West Glacier, Montana. The Glacier Outdoor Center store provides its guest a broad range of outdoor retail items, outdoor rentals and full outfitting services. Glacier Raft and Outdoor Center is a family owned and operated company established in 1976.
Duties and Responsibilities
Welcome and acknowledge guests into the store, ensuring each guest receives excellent service in a friendly environment.
Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service.
Provide a proven awareness of all product information, merchandise promotions and advertisements.
Assist in daily store recovery before, during and after store hours by maintaining product stock levels and visual displays
Complete sales transactions and maintain proper accountability at registers.
Ability to balance competing demands and multiple customers in a dynamic retail environment.
Candidate must have excellent communication skills
Previous outdoor retail experience preferred.
Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
Ability to work 40-50 hours per week, including night and weekend shifts
Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time, necessary to provide sales floor coverage related to customer service and loss prevention.
Ability to reach overhead, bend, squat, kneel and carry product, necessary for customer service, inventory re-stock and store merchandising.
Ability to walk up and down staircase, carrying boxes, products and other necessary store related items.
Ability to perform store maintenance items: sweep, vacuum, empty trash, clean, lift boxes up to 55 lbs.
Full-Time Seasonal Position June - September
Front-Desk Office Staff will work in both our Reservations office and our Rafting office.
Our Reservations office is responsible for checking in our daily fishing trips, cabin and wedding guests (for two properties), and our overnight rafting and fishing trips. They also handle all inbound calls taking reservations, making trip recommendations, and email correspondence.
Our Rafting office is responsible for checking in all daily rafting trips. They also assist customers with retail and photo purchases, and booking reservations.
Both offices require you to be knowledgeable about Glacier Raft Company trips, cabins and area information. We are looking for friendly, self-motivated, detail oriented individuals who strive to provide excellent customer service.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
· Print daily check-in reports
· Check-in all trips and cabins
· Communicate with Lead Guides over radio with updated trip numbers
· Assist customers with finding specific size/color merchandise
· Assist customers with photo purchases
· Clean and re-stock store daily
· Record daily rafting, fishing totals and river levels
· Ring up customer retail purchases
· Balance the cash register at the end of each shift
· Answer all incoming phone calls & emails
· Meet company's requirements for appearance, attendance, and punctuality
· Familiarize yourself with Glacier Raft Company services and pricing
· Become knowledgeable and assist guests in local area information
· Job requires working weekends, holidays, and evenings during peak demand times (typically four 10-hour shifts)
Job Skill Specifications:
· Must advocate exceptional customer service
· Must be able to multi-task and stay focused
· Must be self-motivated during times of increased or decreased work load
· Must be detail oriented when accepting and recording customer trip information
· Must be able to learn new information and systems at a fast pace
· Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time
· Must be skilled or have the ability to learn how to operate basic office equipment including copy machine, printer, cash register, digital camera, radios, and multi-line telephone system
· Must possess the ability to function effectively during times of high stress and high business demands, while dealing courteously and effectively with customers and staff
· Must have a positive attitude and the ability to work in a team environment
Grounds and Maintenance
We’re looking for self-motivated individuals to help us keep our property looking top notch this summer.
Duties include, but are not limited to;
- Mowing and Weed Whacking
- Watering lawns
- Cleaning Operation Buildings
- Washing Vehicles
- Running River Shuttles (must be 18 with clean/valid DL)
- Assist with setup and take down at our wedding pavilion
- Invasive weed control
Duties under this title are diverse and everyday will be a little different from the next based on the needs of the Operations that day. Our G&M Team are self-motivated individuals working with a fair bit of autonomy throughout the work week. If you’re looking for a rewarding outdoor work experience with a diverse set of duties that vary from day to day this could be a great fit for you.
We prefer candidates to be at least 18 years of age or older.
Bus Driver Class B CDL
Full Time and Part-Time Summer Seasonal Drivers
We’re looking to fill CDL Driving positions to help us get our Clients and Guides up river to the put ins. Drivers primary run an 8-mile section of US Hwy 2 between West Glacier and Moccasin Creek. Drivers work in coordination with our managers and guide staff to setup trips launches and safely transport our clients and boats up to our half day and full day put in’s.
Drivers must have Current CDL Class B with Air Brake Endorsement
- Safety Consciences
- Current DOT medical cards
- Drivers must pass a DOT Drug Screen
- Clean Driving Record
- Drivers must demonstrate proper pre-trip inspections
- Drivers must maintain and complete vehicle inspection forms daily
- Drivers should be proficient in trailer backing
- Drivers should be mechanically inclined
We offer a flexible schedule in both Full Time and Part Time positions as well as a ton of company perks to go along with it. If you’re looking for a fun opportunity to work along side a lively group of folks this could be a great fit.
Pay is based on experience
Housekeeping Team Lead
Primary Job Description: The primary role of the Housekeeping Team Lead is to manage and work alongside a housekeeping team of up to 13 people who are responsible for cleaning Glacier Raft Company’s various lodging and office facilities.
Reports to: Housekeeping Manager
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise daily and assigned tasks of Housekeeping Team ensuring proper and efficient task completion
- Foster and maintain a peaceful and productive work environment
- Lead team by setting the proper example in quality, efficiency, attitude, responsibility and overall commitment to job completion and the company mission
- Encourage timeliness of your team members
- Understand and direct proper cleaning skills
- Always promote and enforce workplace safety
- Understand and direct stocking and restocking of inventory
- Understand, maintain and direct the proper use of equipment (vacuums, ladders, washing machines, dryers, etc.)
- Understand and initiate spot corrections and coaching in a proper and constructive manner
- Augment other Glacier Raft Company departments when needed
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to a satisfactory standard. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Valid driver’s license
- Be dependable, organized, punctual and have a good attention to detail
- Have good communication skills
- Have good leadership and motivational skills in a team setting
- Basic conflict management skills
Education & Experience: High school diploma; experience supervising others
References: Provide three references
Physical Ability: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, stand, walk, sit, bend, kneel, reach, lift and push or pull up 50 – 75 pounds.
Primary Job Description
This is a full time year around position including full benefits.
The Marketing Specialist is responsible for developing, creating, executing, and monitoring marketing and advertising programs in support of Glacier Raft Company. Work includes researching the market, analyzing trends to help define the strategy and providing insight as to how to best reach the target market.
General Manager | Brandon Gonski
- Develop, implement, and monitor marketing programs such as email newsletters, social media, print advertising and digital campaigns
- Analyze and report on the performance and efficiency of implemented marketing campaigns
- Collaborate with other departments (e.g. Weddings, Glacier Outdoor Center) to develop, implement and monitor strategic marketing initiatives
- Develop and create marketing materials such as photos and videos that adhere to branding guidelines
- Write, proofread, and edit creative content across different mediums, including website blog
- Work with external marketing firm and other vendors to execute marketing programs
- Monitor and respond to various customer review websites (e.g. TripAdvisor / Google Reviews)
- Participate in river rafting and fly fishing trips in order to acquire and create content to use in various marketing efforts
- Strong knowledge of various marketing and analytics tools such as Google Analytics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled in writing and editing content with an attention to detail
- Organized and able to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Skilled in the use of photo and video editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and Premiere or Apple Final Cut Pro
- Preferred knowledge of cameras, GoPro and DJI equipment
- Preferred Knowledge of basic website coding or experience with content management software such as WordPress
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications, or other related field
- 2-5 years of experience in marketing
Physical Ability: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk and use a keyboard for long periods of time
Primary Job Description
This is a full time year around position including full benefits.
The Reservation Manager is responsible for scheduling, supervising and managing Glacier Outdoor Center’s reservation office. Reservations should be geared toward proper activity and accommodation placement with an emphasis on total guest satisfaction.
Brandon Gonski – General Manager of Inside Operations
- Learn all of Glacier Raft Company’s products and services
- Answer phones and emails in Glacier Outdoor Center’s call center and make reservations
- Hire, train and manage reservation staff
- Create and manage schedule for reservation staff
- Set up and coordinate large group trips and special events
- Update reservation binder with current information
- Keep accurate records of Glacier Raft Company gift certificates
- Maintain and update accurate records of Glacier Raft Company multi-day trips and day trips
- Maintain fishing license binder
- Maintain 3rd party listings on Get Your Guide, Viator, Booking.com, Expedia, and Groupon
- Ensure accuracy of trip check in paperwork and door code locks
- Pay fishing and overnight guides and issue fishing credits
- Work with lead guides on trip limits for the week
- Look ahead in reservation software to anticipate challenges and ensure accuracy
- Run rafting clinic at West Glacier KOA
- Set up, coordinate, and bill vendor accounts
- Set up schedules for trips and services in AdventureRes
- Check balance and load ATM in both Glacier Outdoor Center and Downtown Office
- Check reservation deposits for accuracy
- Order office supplies for both reservations and downtown office
- Check time clock to ensure accuracy of employee time
- Send and pick up mail from PO Box in West Glacier
Education & Experience: High school diploma; BA preferred; experience supervising others required
Physical Ability: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to type, talk, stand, walk, sit, bend, kneel, and lift, push or pull up 50 pounds. Must have valid driver’s license.
Rafting Office Assistant Manager Position
Primary Job Description
Rafting Office Assistant Manager is responsible for assisting the manager and staff of the rafting office. You are responsible for checking in all daily rafting trips. You also assist customers with retail and photo purchases, and booking reservations. You should be knowledgeable about Glacier Raft Company trips, cabins and area information. We are looking for a reliable, self-motivated, detail-oriented individual who strives to provide excellent customer service.
Reports to: Lacey Sheldon
Job Type: Seasonal (May-September)
• Check in all daily rafting trips
• Answer any incoming Glacier Raft Company phone calls
• Communicate with Lead Guides over radio with updated trip numbers
• Take walk-in reservations
• Assist customers with finding specific size/color merchandise
• Upload trip photos and assist customers with photo purchases
• Clean and re-stock store daily
• Record daily rafting totals
• Ring up customer retail purchases
• Balance the cash register at the end of each shift
• Meet company's requirements for appearance, attendance and punctuality
• Familiarize yourself with Glacier Raft Company services and pricing
• Become knowledgeable and assist guests in local area information
• Perform daily financials
• Assist with training of new employees
• Assist with end of year inventory counts/reporting
• Job requires working weekends, holidays, and evenings during peak demand times (available to work all days that Manager is off)
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to exemplify exceptional customer service, multi-task, be detail oriented, have strong computer skills, and possess the ability to function effectively during times of high stress while dealing courteously and effectively with customers and staff.
Education & Experience: High school diploma; retail and/or customer service experience preferred; management experience preferred
How to Apply
Glacier Raft Company is an equal opportunity employer. We make selections based on availability, skills, and previous experience in the Outdoor Industry. Guide applicants must be 18 or older. All employees must be legally allowed to work in the US.
Our summer season gets going in May and runs through September. Please give careful consideration to the dates of availability that you list on the application. Your indicated dates will be instrumental in our decision making process. All applicants will be contacted either by email or phone.
Please visit our website to Apply.