Fun with Cherries!
LIFE, LIBERTY, BEACHES and PIE!
Headquartered in the heart of Cherry Country in the gorgeous village of Glen Arbor, MI Cherry Republic was founded in 1989. Surrounded by the pristine waters of Lake Michigan and located in the Sleeping Bear National Park, Cherry Republic has helped spread the good news of cherries around the world!
About Cherry Republic
GET TO KNOW US
In the magical land of Cherry Republic, Glen Arbor reigns as our Motherland. It was in this sleepy village many years ago our company was born among sparkling lakes, deep forests, and the abundant cherry orchards of Leelanau County. The borders of our empire have expanded, yet Glen Arbor remains the place of our origin, where Bob Sutherland's dream of spreading cherry joy took root.
Today, those who make the pilgrimage to Glen Arbor encounter the charm and authenticity that has defined Cherry Republic from the beginning. Crooked pathways meander under cherry trees and through cheerful perennial gardens and lead to The Great Hall, where soaring timber frame beams evoke the spirit of a century-old cathedral. Stop in here to shop some of our 200+ cherry products and sample to your heart's content.
Across the path from The Great Hall resides The Winery, where we offer complimentary tastings of 'Wine for the Tall and Pop for the Small.' Before or after tasting, head over to the Cherry Public House, where the whole family can enjoy inventive cherry-inspired lunch and dinner selections, 12 craft beers on tap, freshly baked pie, homemade cherry ice cream, and momentous shareable desserts -- all cherry, of course!
And no trip to the Republic is complete without trying your hand (or rather, your mouth) at our Olympic Sized Pit Spitting Arena. (Legend has it that Bob's 90-year-old Momma Mary holds the record for distance even to this day.) Play areas for kids young and old, along with plenty of indoor and patio seating make our Glen Arbor campus a true destination for visitors to Northern Michigan!
With six Michigan retail stores/wineries (Glen Arbor, Traverse City, Ann Arbor, Frankenmuth, Holland, and Charlevoix), hundreds of wholesale distributors, a popular mail order gift catalog, and a thriving e-commerce site, Cherry Republic has helped spread the good news of cherries around the world!
Headquartered in the heart of Cherry Country, Cherry Republic was founded in 1989 based on the core values of 'Life, Liberty, Beaches, Pie' -- a genuine, heartfelt description of who we are and who we strive to be each day.
-Life (Local) | We capture and share the vital spirit of cherries and Northern Michigan.
-Liberty (Self Driven) | For Cherry Republic to go from good to great, each employee much feel fully charged and free to innovate new ways to get things done and grow this company.
-Beaches (Have Fun & Be Good) | Be light hearted like the breezes, resilient like the sand and fun loving like the waves.
-Pie (Generosity) | We gratefully share the earth's abundance. Generosity is our foundation and is the value that most defines our special company.
'Life, Liberty, Beaches & Pie.' This familiar slogan, which represents our Core Values, has become synonymous with Cherry Republic. But did you know we have a fifth Core Value called 'We Journey'? It's about working together as a team while supporting each other to "reach the big open spaces where we can spread our wings and soar." (You guessed it. Cherry Republic is a pretty cool place to work.)
If this sounds like your kind of workplace, be sure to check out our current job openings!
The Employee Experience
Looking for a fun summer job in Northern Michigan? Cherry Republic is seeking energetic seasonal employees for its retail stores in Traverse City and Charlevoix, and both its retail store and Cherry Public House restaurant in the quaint village of Glen Arbor.
Working at Cherry Republic is unlike any other job you’ll have! Our company motto is Life, Liberty, Beaches & Pie, so you know we are serious about having fun while you work! You will be an official Cherry Ambassador, spreading the love of Northern Michigan cherries to the thousands of Cherry Republic ‘Citizens’ who visit our stores and restaurant every day.
When you’re not working, we encourage you to take every opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors! From Lake Charlevoix to Grand Traverse Bay to Lake Michigan, you will be surrounded by amazing freshwater lakes, beaches, and rivers — all perfect for kayaking and stand-up-paddle boarding. Hiking and biking paths wind through miles of forests and along the lakes. And the majestic Sleeping Bear Dunes National lakeshore is just steps away from our Glen Arbor campus. Visiting wineries, breweries, and shops are fun rainy day activities, too!
Other perks you will enjoy while working at Cherry Republic:
Free (non-alcoholic) drinks at work. Sip coffee, tea, cherry lemonade and pop.
Fun events like monthly CR family-style lunches
25% off employee discounts on Cherry Republic products
40% off meals at The Public House while you’re on the clock!
College Match Program for students enrolled in a Michigan Education Savings Plan and meet certain requirements.
Sound like your kind of place? Then we invite you to check out our current job openings, and throw your hat in the ring!
CALLING ALL STUDENTS, EMPTY-NESTERS, RETIREES, AND JUST-PLAIN-FRIENDLY CHERRY LOVERS!
We're looking for bright, new faces to join our team! As an employee at Cherry Republic, you must be:
- Friendly and Outgoing - In the land of Life, Liberty, Beaches and Pie, employees are approachable, kind and compassionate. They have a knack for making others feel special.
- Energetic and Motivated - Our employees take care of themselves so they have the stamina to take care of others. We support one another and push each other towards greatness.
- Passion for Northern Michigan - Life is one of our core values, which means we capture and share the vital spirit of cherries and Northern Michigan. We are environmentally conscious and appreciate nature and the Up North lifestyle.
- Able to be Flexible - There is no typical day, other than they are all FUN and filled with adventure!
- Can-do Attitude - Our employees roll up their sleeves and tackle projects head on.
- Team Oriented - Employees are an extension of our own family with lots of brothers and sisters.
- Must Love Dogs - Not a day goes by where you don't encounter a furry friend.
- FUN - "Unfun" people need not apply!
If this sounds like you, then now's your chance to join our fun and friendly team! What are you waiting for?
Room and Board
Cherry Republic provides a variety of student housing no more than four miles away from the Glen Arbor property for its employees.
- Dorm style located at a near-by private school with a community bathroom. Enjoy a private beach and fire pit. This location is along on Crystal River.
- House style located on a hill overlooking beautiful Glen Lake.
- Private options with local residents are available upon request.
Rent = $100 / week
All housing options are nestled nearby or within the boundaries of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, which is one of the nation's best-kept secrets. It was voted as Good Morning America's Most Beautiful Place in America!
Whistle While You Work!
At Cherry Republic we believe work should be fun! In fact, each of our Core Values touches on not only making our customers happy, but making our employees happy, as well. So in addition to a competitive medical benefits package, options for employee housing and your usual list of bennies (paid time off, paid holidays, 401K, etc.), we offer our staff extra perks that make our work environment a bit unique:
- Leaf Day! We take off the 3rd Monday in October to celebrate fall in Northern Michigan!
- Enjoy a paid ½ day off on your birthday each year. Just because.
- Free (non-alcoholic) drinks at work. Sip coffee, tea, cherry lemonade and pop.
- Fun events like CR family lunches, Harvest Dinner, holiday party and more.
- Generous employee discounts (40% for FT and 25% for PT) on Cherry Republic products.
- 40% off meals at The Public House while you’re on the clock!
- College Match Program for students enrolled in a Michigan Education Savings Plan and meet certain requirements.
- Sound like your kind of place? Then we invite you to check out our current job openings, and throw your hat in the ring!
Getting Here and Getting Around
All employee housing is no more than four miles away from our Glen Arbor property. If you don't have a car, no need to worry — transportation is generally easy for our employees!
If you're flying into the Cherry Capitol Airport, we will have someone there when you arrive to transport you out to Glen Arbor. We will also arrange for someone to take you back to the airport at the end of the season.
There are a few options for transportation to and from work:
- Carpool with other employees
- BATA bus — Pick ups and drop offs are aligned with work schedules and hours
- Seasonal Work Program Supervisor — This individual will be able to help you arrange transportation and/or transport you at times
- It's a beautiful, bike-friendly area with plenty of trails and wider roads for individuals, so we encourage you to bring your bike if you have one!
Our employees are quick to jump in and assist with transportation when they can!
Nestled between Sleeping Bear Bay on Lake Michigan and the Glen Lakes, Glen Arbor is a bustling town that has something to offer everyone! There are several ways you can get out and explore the area. Get refreshed in the natural beauty by taking a hike or kayaking the Crystal the River. Bring you bike and enjoy trails such as the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail and Palmer Woods. Take in the views all around including beaches, dunes, woods, and aqua-colored lake water.
Known as the Cherry Capital of the world, Traverse City is located along the picturesque shore of East and West Grand Traverse Bay. The city is home to the National Cherry Festival, Film Festival, Ironman 70.3 Triathlon, and has been designated as a Coast Guard City.
There are an abundance of wineries and appealing restaurants around the area for you to enjoy. In 2019, Traverse City was voted as the "Best Small Town Food Scene" in USA Today's 10Best Reader's Choice. Not to mention, you're a short drive away from Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, where you can take a step back and escape the hustle of the city and immerse yourself in nature.
For many, Charlevoix is a favorite destination year after year to vacation with family and friends. There's a reason why the Chicago Tribune named Charlevoix as one of the "Best of the Midwest: 10 Places to go in 2020." Charlevoix is a Northern Michigan town along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
Enjoy the crystal clear water by renting a kayak or paddle board or hop aboard a chartered sailboat to take in the views. Be sure to visit Castle Farms and Earl Young's Mushroom Houses and many more historical places to learn a little bit about the history of this beautiful town as well.
How to Apply
Check out our current job openings. If you find one you think you'd be perfect for, click APPLY HERE to fill out an application and email it to us along with your résumé and cover letter. Put the job title of the position you're applying for in the subject of the email.
Even if you don't see a job you like, get in touch with us. We're always looking for fun-loving go-getters. If that's you, don't be a stranger!
Cherry Republic would be an Equal-Opportunity Employer even if it wasn't required by law.