Mountain Village is a great place to live, work and visit.
At the base of the Telluride ski area, our Gondola links the Town of Mountain Village with historic Telluride providing the only FREE public transportation system of its kind.
A companion town of Telluride, Colorado, Mountain Village is located in the southwestern Colorado in the San Juan Mountains.
About Town of Mountain Village
In summer, the resort transforms into an icon of music and events - home to world-famous music and film festivals. The Telluride Ski Area has added over 300 acres in the last few years, offering some of the most stunning skiing and riding on the planet. A FREE 13 minute (3 mile) gondola ride connects the towns of Mountain Village and Telluride.
- Gondola operators are Town of Mountain Village employees. Approximately 1/2 of the staff are seasonal and 1/2 are full-time year round employees.
- The gondola safely transports over 2 ½ million passengers annually.
- A gondola cabin travels about 11 mph at full speed, which means each cabin travels over 52,000 miles per year.
- The gondola can transport 900 people per hour between the two towns. It would take eighteen fifty-passenger buses to drive the 8 mile trip resulting in more people on the road & more pollutants in the air.
- Every other cabin allows pets, there are wheelchair accessible cabins in addition to summer bike racks and winter ski/snowboard racks.
The Employee Experience
Many of our seasonal employees work a season and then are off to their next adventure however, many stay on for multiple season or even go on to become full-time year round employees. We offer a generous benefit package for both seasonal and full-time year round employees. Regardless of what your plans are, as soon as you arrive you are welcomed to the team, the community and feel as if you are surrounded by good friends.
We are looking for people who love the outdoors, adventures and meeting new people. Guest service is key, regardless of what position you are interested in we are always looking for friendly employees that enjoy sharing their knowledge and passion about the area, local recreational opportunities and fabulous restaurants that the Mountain Village/Telluride area has to offer.
Many of our employees come from the national parks, other resorts, and some are just looking for complete change of scenery! At the time an offer is made, applicants will then undergo background/ motor vehicle check and pre-employment drug testing.
Room and Board
- Employee housing IS available- Living situation is a fully furnished shared 1 bedroom Village Court Apartment.
- Employees are paired with member of the same-sex (couples or friends may be paired together space permitting)
- Rent is automatically payroll deducted bi-weekly ($279.75 per pay period per person)
- Unit is fully furnished - kitchen includes full sized appliances and dishwasher
- All bills paid- cable tv included (the internet is employees responsibility)
- $500 deposit $50 Admin Fee and parking permit fee required. (parking permit subject to availability)
- Everything you need is within walking distance or a gondola ride away, so there is no need to bring a vehicle. Onsite parking is limited and first come first serve.
- Must be employed as a full-time seasonal employee to live in Employee Housing
- Contact email@example.com for additional information
Other Housing Options
- Village Court Apartments in Mountain Village: a five-minute walk from the gondola, chair lift, grocery store, Nordic skiing/ biking/ hiking trails. Offers studio, one, two, and three bedroom rentals. Minimal dog rental units are available.
- Big Billie's in Mountain Village: For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org 970-728-7470.
- Telluride Daily Planet: The classifieds are a great place to look for house/apartment rentals as well as "roommates wanted".
- The San Miguel Regional Housing Authority provides assistance in finding affordable housing to fit your needs.
- $14.00 per hour PLUS $1.00 per hour bonus upon completion of the season
- Discounted Ski Pass (winter only)
- Four day set schedule (depending on position) -allows three days a week to explore the region
- Many activities are already free for all: public transportation, downhill mountain bike park, Nordic skiing/hiking/biking trails, 18 hole disc golf
- Free Employee Assistance Program
- Direct deposit of paychecks
- Access to fitness room
- Employee housing available
- Employee shuttles to/from Montrose, Norwood and Cortez for $2/ride
Getting Here and Getting Around
The free gondola operates from 7:00 am until midnight from:
- the Town of Mountain Village
- the base of the Telluride Ski Area
- Station St. Sophia at the top of the mountain (access to skiing, hiking/biking trails and the Mountain Bike park)
- the Town of Telluride
Mountain Village free bus service
Telluride free bus route
Distances from major towns/destinations:
- 1 1/2 hours south of Montrose
- 1 1/2 hours northeast of Cortez
- 2 hours north of Mesa Verde National Park
- 2 hours south of Black Canyon National Park
- 3 hours from Moab, Utah and Canyonlands and Arches National Parks
- 7 hours southwest of Denver
- 7 hours southeast of Salt Lake City
- 8 hours north of Phoenix
Climb a 14’er! The rugged San Juan Mountains have thirteen peaks over 14,000 feet. The Mountain Village hiking/biking map and Telluride hiking Guide will also help you navigate through many of the additional Mountain Village high alpine routes, historic walks and popular hikes.
Downhill mountain biking: The free Mountain Village bike park appeals to intermediate and expert downhill bikers with its 1,000 feet of vertical drop, 30-plus berms, and various jumps. The 2002 World Cup downhill race course includes log jams, steep drops, jumps and unavoidable obstacles of up to 10 feet tall.
Backcountry huts: Provide access for hut-to-hut skiing, biking and hiking
Biking: Most beginner and advanced hiking/biking trails can be reached via the free gondola.
Bouldering: The free climbing rock in Mountain Village is a challenge for all ages.
Disc golf: We invite you to challenge your skills on our free, par three, 18 hole disc golf course in Mountain Village
Golf: At 9500 feet, keeping your eye on the ball and off the towering peaks may be one of your biggest challenges. This par 70, 6,574 yard 18 hole golf course is surrounded by the highest concentration of 14,000 foot peaks in North America.
Festivals and Activities throughout the summer include: Free Wednesday summer concert series in Mountain Village, Bluegrass, Jazz, Chamber, Americana, and Blues and Brews, and the Ride Festivals, Telluride Film and MountainFilm Festivals, Balloon Festival, Wine Festival Hardrock 100 and Imogene Pass Runs, Mountains to the Desert Bike Ride, Arts: Plein Air, Mushroom Festival Yoga Festival
Ski Telluride: “The most beautiful place you’ll ever ski” averaging more than 300 inches of snow and 300 days of sunshine. With 2000 skiable acres and a vertical drop of 4,425 feet, the resort remains uncrowded throughout the season. Beginners and intermediate skiers can ride to the highest peaks and enjoy terrain and views typically reserved for the experts. CAUTION: The terrain in Black Iron Bowl, Gold Hill chutes, and Palmyra Peak is for expert skiers and snowboarders only. Cliffs and narrow chutes exist.
Backcountry huts: Provide access for hut-to-hut skiing, biking and hiking
Heli-Skiing: Provides pleasurable skiing conditions at 10,000 – 14,000 feet accessible only by helicopter
Nordic skiing/ snowshoeing: Over 8 miles of groomed trails right out your door
Skating: Telluride’s Hanley Rink is a covered NHL size rink for skating and hockey.
2017 Summer Season: May 15, 2017- October 15, 2017* dates vary depending on position
2017-2018 Winter Season: November 17, 2017- April 8, 2018
WINTER 2017-2018 GONDOLA OPERATOR/DRIVER positions now posted!!!!
- Gondola Operator/Driver Summer and Winter Positions available
- Police Officer (FTYR Position)
- Electrical Technician/Supervisor- Gondola Maintenance (FTYR Position)
How to Apply
Apply online at via the link provided. In order to select the best candidate for the position we can only consider applications that are complete so please be sure to complete all sections of the application. If you have any questions or need additional information please contact Corrie McMills HR Coordinator at email@example.com or at 970.369.6409.