Every summer, Major Marine Tours hires seasonal deckhands, customer service agents, and reservation agents to help run our operations in Kenai Fjords National Park. Our 2019 season runs from March 9th to October 13th, but most of our seasonal hires are expected to commit from early May to the end of September. If you are interested in a position with our growing team, please see the positions we currently have available listed below:
View Job Description
Position: Customer Service Representative
Reports to: General Manager
Customer Service - Represent Hertz of Seward to the general public and community. Personal meet/greet of customers, respond to customer inquiries in person and via telephone or email. Complete rental reservations and contracts accurately, efficiently and in a friendly manner. Work as part of the overall sales team to process all related paperwork, accurately record rental details and clean vehicles and workspace as needed.
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to the five guiding principles of Hertz of Seward:
* Environmental responsibility
- Report to work on time and be a reliable member of the team - Report and be ready for work when your shift begins. Clearly communicate any deviations from the schedule that you may need in advance. Being here and ready interact with customers appropriately is a mandatory job function.
- Through training and leadership, learn the various processes and procedures in quoting rates, completing reservations and rental agreements, and all associated paperwork as required. Be able to use Capture system to complete transactions accurately, efficiently and in a friendly manner in order to achieve a high level of quality customer service. Complete all follow-up processing and reporting according to set procedures in order to maintain positive accountability for all transactions.
- Clearly communicate verbally and in writing as needed with other employees any situations requiring follow-up attention. Communicate with team members regarding on-going situations and issues clearly and concisely to achieve smooth and seamless service to customers.
- Maintain a clean, neat and orderly personal work space, as well as public reception areas and restrooms.
- Maintain a “teamwork” attitude and work ethic to complete the various tasks needed to ensure friendly and efficient service, clean & well maintained vehicles, and a safe workplace. Work with other Hertz team members to ensure vehicles are clean (interior and exterior), fueled and ready for their next rental.
- Gain knowledge of the local and statewide travel routes, attractions and transportation options. Be able to share this information with customers in a clear and concise manner.
- Work congenially with partnering companies and their employees to ensure that the overall visitor experience is positive.
- Appearance/Grooming: Excessive jewelry, body piercing and tattoos are not allowed. Specific uniform items will be supplied when you are representing the company. Represent Hertz of Seward in a professional and friendly manner whenever interfacing with passengers or community members.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for a Customer Service position:
View Job Description
- Demonstrate good communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude with the goal to achieve Quality Customer Service.
- Must have a current Alaska Driver’s License and provide a current copy of driving record.
- Be willing to submit to post-accident, and just cause drug and alcohol testing.
- Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 50 lbs. Employees are regularly required to sit, stand, walk, see, talk and hear. Frequently they will need to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Position: Seward Transportation Coordinator
Reports to: General Manager
Status: Seasonal --April through September
General Function: Work with Alaska Transportation Company General Manager to coordinate and implement tour and transportation support for Major Marine day cruise operations and Harbor 360 Hotel guests.
Conduct all activities and decisions according to the five guiding principles:
Schedule daily dispatch to efficiently provide shuttle service for MMT cruise customers to/from local hotels, RV Parks and the Alaska Railroad depot.
Monitor Driver/Guide staff to ensure that all DOT regulations are being followed and that the service provided is professional and on time.
Coordinate shore excursion tour transfers for MMT cruise customers to/from cruise ship terminal and other local attractions.Transfer service includes providing informative local narrative and luggage handling in addition to providing safe and reliable transportation.
Maintain regular and positive communication with the operations staff of partnering companies to ensure transportation to Anchorage for shore excursion guests is scheduled.
Maintain driver files and compliance with DOT requirements.
Oversee basic maintenance of fleet of coaches and other company support vehicles; including regular review of Vehicle Inspection Reports and scheduling any required maintenance to meet DOT requirements.
Work with President and General Manager of ATC to maintain DOT identity and organization of fleet filing system for all vehicles that fall under DOT regulations.
Coordinate with Hertz of Seward to ensure that rental customers are provided transportation to onsite rental location.
Coordinate with Major Marine to ensure brochures are distributed locally.
Review and approve timecards for staff and invoices related to bus/shuttle operations.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for a Customer Service position:
View Job Description
Demonstrate good communication skills – both written and verbal.
Must demonstrate good working knowledge of Microsoft suite – specifically Word and Excel.
Demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude with the goal to achieve Quality Customer Service.
Must have a current Alaska Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and provide a current copy of driving record.
Be willing to submit to pre-employment, post-accident, and just cause drug and alcohol testing.
Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 50 lbs.Employees are regularly required to sit, stand, walk, see, talk and hear.Frequently they will need to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Reports to: Hertz General Manager
Pay Status: Hourly - Seasonal
General Function: Serve as a primary contact representative at the Cruise Terminal, Train Station and other pick-up locations in Seward, AK and the surrounding area. Main Duties include assisting customers with fast, safe transportation to wherever their travel needs be, provide educational information to customers about transportation options, and relay information between multiple offices and locations.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for a Driver position:
- Possess current CDL minimum class C (Commercial Drivers License) with a current Passenger endorsement (some training provided after hiring if needed)
- Basic understanding of vehicle operations within the State of Alaska.
- Must provide a copy of driving records.
- Must allow a verification of driving records, employment history, and previous drug & alcohol testing results.
- Be willing to submit to pre-employment, random, post-accident, and just cause drug and alcohol testing.
- Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 60 lbs.
- Employees are regularly required to sit, stand, walk, see, talk and hear. Frequently they will need to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Employees must be able to work in harsh weather conditions for long hours on a variable schedule.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to the five guiding principles of Major Marine/ Hertz of Seward:
- Environmental responsibility
View Job Description
- Through training and leadership, gain understanding of system and maintenance needs for all vehicles in order to facilitate safe transportation of passengers and baggage, and maintain high levels of organization needed during times of large movements of passengers.
- Gain understanding of the local Kenai Peninsula Area and be able to provide information to customers about places to visit and what the transportation options are for getting there.
- Work well with both Hertz car rental crew members as well as the Major Marine crew members in order to ensure quality communication, so that the transportation needs of ALL customers can be met.
- Work with office staff to complete any tasks necessary including the cleaning of the exterior and interior of any shuttle bus or rental car, general maintence and appearance of all shuttle buses and rental cars, help with movement of large amounts of passengers and luggage from one location to another, as well as provide guided tours of Seward and the surrounding area when needed.
- Strive to represent Major Marine & Hertz of Seward in a professional and friendly manner whenever interfacing with passengers or community members.
- Must be able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and assist when needed in other areas of the company.
- Appearance/Grooming: As a representative of Hertz of Seward, it is important to always present a professional image. Excessive jewelry, body piercing and tattoos are not allowed. Specific uniform items will be supplied when you are representing the company in a public format.
Reports to: Reservations Manager
Pay Status: Hourly - Seasonal Full-time
General Function: Sales Agents are responsible for assisting customers with planning and booking their Major Marine Tours and Harbor 360 Hotel reservations. Sales and customer support will occur through a combination of phone, email, and in person communications. The primary duties of this position are answering customers’ questions, providing suggestions, and processing reservations. You will be an integral member of our Sales Agent Team, working closely with the Reservations Manager and your fellow team members in a fun, fast-paced work environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Providing World-Class Customer Service
Sales Agents are responsible for being knowledgeable about our products (including cruise, hotel, and other services such as transportation and activities) and interacting with customers in a friendly, professional manner. Sales Agents will become familiar with our products through a combination of training, studying our reference materials, and experiencing our products first-hand. A thorough understanding of our products is crucial to helping customers with their questions throughout the booking process. Major Marine Tours is committed to world-class customer service throughout the entire customer experience, and Sales Agents are an essential part of this experience as they are the first point-of-contact between the customer and our company.
Selling Our Services and Products
Successfully selling our products is a key Sales Agent duty. You will be encouraged to upsell products by offering our customers additional services or special packages. You will be responsible for phone and email communications for both Major Marine Tours and Harbor 360 Hotel, and you must be comfortable with upselling cruise and hotel packages. Incentive programs such as contests and office sales goals will occur throughout the year to encourage upselling.
Making and Processing Reservations
The main duty of a Sales Agent is to assist customers with planning and booking their reservations. Sales Agents may also help customers plan travel itineraries and recommend local attractions and places of interest. Many of our customers are planning their one-in-a-lifetime Alaska vacations, and they often look to our Sales Agents as a resource for travel planning. Knowledge of popular tourist activities in Alaska is helpful, but not required, for this position. Once a reservation is made, Sales Agents are responsible for processing payment and sending confirmation details to customers. If an issue arises with a reservation, Sales Agents are responsible for resolving the issue with the customer. Sales Agents are expected to be careful and accurate when processing reservations.
When not making reservations, Sales Agents may be asked to perform other duties, such as double checking reservations, making copies, stocking supplies, running errands, etc. Sales Agents may also be asked to perform special sales and marketing projects.
SALES AGENT SKILLS
Sales Agents must have excellent customer service skills and be able to communicate with customers and fellow team members in a friendly, professional manner. Sales Agents must be detail-oriented and enjoy helping others. In addition to these traits, our ideal candidate will have the following skills:
View Job Description
Basic computer proficiency
Working knowledge of office equipment, such as copiers, fax machines, and scanners
Between Chugach National Forest and Kenai Fjords National Park is the small harbor town of Seward, Alaska. Seward is nestled among steep, glacier-carved mountains wreathed in spruce and hemlock forests. A 2.5 hour drive from Anchorage along the Seward Highway, widely-considered one of the most scenic drives in the world, brings you to the coast of Resurrection Bay - home to vast marine life including puffins, orcas, humpbacks, and Steller sea lions.
At Major Marine Tours, we operate several scenic daily boat tours enabling passengers to see spectacular wildlife, landscapes, and glaciers firsthand. Though from a passenger’s perspective our operation may appear simple and seamless, it requires quite a bit of knowledge, coordination, hard work, and teamwork. An important role in the success of our daily operations is that of our team.
We are now looking for individuals to join our sales and customer service team for the 2019 summer season. Major Marine Tours is a family-owned company, meaning we look out for our employees. We want individuals to come gain resume-building skills, while presenting an opportunity to create life-long memories with the people, places, and experiences that make Major Marine Tours and Kenai Fjords National Park so amazing.
About the lifestyle:
Seasonal employees are expected to be available from May through September, during the height of the Alaskan tourist season. A seasonal bonus may be issued at the completion of the summer.
Major Marine Tours offers shared dormitory housing options to employees for $12 per day. Employee housing is optional, but encouraged for seasonal hires looking to build lasting relationships with crew mates.
Employees are responsible for booking their transportation to and from Anchorage, Alaska. Anyone traveling from out-of-state is eligible for a $400 travel reimbursement upon the completion of their contract.
In addition to competitive hourly wages (determined upon experience), employees also receive complimentary trips on any company cruise and great discounts for friends and family. We encourage every employee to take advantage of the pristine beauty and adventure that Alaska has to offer. With plenty of time throughout the season, employees are encouraged to hike, kayak, camp, bonfire, fish, and partake in all summer festivities. These are the perks of working in tourism.
About the Job:
Seward-based Office Agents interact with customers in person as well as on the telephone in order to provide information on Major Marine Tours’ products and services. Our primary focus is hospitality; as customer service agents, we proudly operate as the face of the company as well as the first-impression for our guests. Agents are responsible for ticketing sales, and ensuring that the boarding process is as smooth as possible for each of our daily tours. Additional responsibilities include seating, staff support, and routine organizational tasks. We also operate a coffee shop in our ticketing office, so opportunities to barista exist as well.
- High school diploma or higher and at least 18 years of age.
- Knowledge of Gmail, Excel, and general PC Operating Systems.
- Available to work mid-April to late September (beginning and end dates will be determined upon hire).
- Confident verbiage and patient temperament. Previous customer service experience is encouraged.
- Positive attitude and willing demeanor - People wait their whole lives to travel to Alaska, and we are lucky enough to live here and make someone’s dream come true.
- Willing to submit to pre-employment, random, post-accident, and for cause drug and alcohol testing
Besides the general combination of customer service, product knowledge, and sales enthusiasm that is expected from all front desk agents, please feel free to include your special interests. We are looking to fill the following sub-responsibilities as well:
A.M. Supervisor: Responsible for opening one of two Seward offices (Start time is approximately 6-7am in high season, so must be a morning person!) A team player who helps delegate morning and afternoon office tasks between employees. Looking for someone comfortable and capable of answering and solving guest inquiries or problems as they arise. Acts as the go-to employee when management is not available. Must be well-spoken and self-sufficient. Previous experience with the company preferred, but anyone looking to step into leadership will be considered.
P.M. Supervisor: Responsible for closing one of two Seward offices (End time is approximately 9-10pm in high season). A team player who helps delegate afternoon and evening office tasks between employees. Looking for someone comfortable and capable of answering and solving guest inquiries or problems as they arise. Acts as the go-to employee when management is not available. Must be well-spoken and self-sufficient. Previous experience with the company preferred, but anyone looking to step into leadership will be considered.
Retail Assistant: Oversees the sale and restock of all retail and office inventory. Works directly with our Purchasing Manager to coordinate visual merchandising, sales, and marketing. Retail experience preferred.
Media and Wildlife Coordinator: Works directly with our Anchorage marketing department. Manages the captain’s reports and logs daily wildlife sightings on company boards. Creativity, journalistic wit, and knowledge of Kenai Fjords landscape and wildlife is highly encouraged. Preferably studying or interested in marketing and online media.
Transportation and Special Groups Assistant: Works directly with Transportation Manager and Groups Coordinator to organize daily train and shuttle pick ups around town. Additionally, assists management in preparing for and catering to any special group or charter tours. Personality goes a long way here - you are the face of the company. Must have a valid Drivers license and be able to work ALL Fridays and Sundays. Experience with Excel is preferred
Accounting Assistant: Processes, prepares, and reconciles daily banks and reports for boats and offices. Handles cash for the company - MUST be trustworthy., Great opportunity to work to expand on Excel skill sets. Attention to detail is a must. Preferably studying or interested in accounting or business management.
Coffee Lead Barista: In charge of the upkeep of the coffee cart, including maintenance, cleaning, reordering, and seasonal promotions. Will manage the rest of the staff of barista training. Barista experience required.
Any relevant experience is always a plus, but a willingness to jump in and make it work is a must.View Job Description
Reports to: Company Port Engineer
Status: Hourly Seasonal / Full Time
General Function: Provide support and assistance to the Port Engineer, Operations Manager, and the Captains in executing vessel maintenance, including organization and resupply of spares and repair parts. Provide hands on efforts to make routine and emergency repairs to vessels, support equipment and facility, as directed by Port Engineer.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for an Engineer position:
- A strong understanding of engines, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Possess a current CPR certificate and First Aid card (training provided after hiring if needed).
- Basic understanding of vessel operations and the Alaskan environment.
- Agree to submit to and pass drug testing as detailed in the company drug policy.
- Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 70 lbs.
- Position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, see, talk and hear. Position requires need to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Must be able to work in harsh weather conditions for long hours on a variable schedule.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to the five guiding principles of Major Marine Tours:
- Environmental Responsibility
View Job Description
- Gain understanding of systems and maintenance needs for all vessels in order to facilitate safety of passengers, and successful operation of the boats. This will include routine maintenance schedules, and involvement of vessel repairs, either routine or emergency.
- Responsibility for understanding of pertinent Coast Guard regulations and company policy. Complete all related paperwork in a professional, accurate, consistent and timely manner.
- Be physically on-site and mentally prepared to work as scheduled by Port Engineer.
- Maintain open, clear and positive communication regarding all aspects of vessel maintenance and safety with Operations team, Captains and crew.
- Work with Port Engineer to handle all aspects of assigned projects on facilities, vessels and other vehicles. Manage assigned projects including procurement of parts, supplies or sub-contractors, performing work, ensuring that all work will be completed in a timely manner, and within the approved budget.
- Develop understanding of tour routes and information provided by Major Marine Tours and serve as crewmember when needed. When on-board as deckhand, work with other crew to maintain appropriate inventory, staff the galley and offer direct passenger services as needed. Be able to give leadership and training to crew regarding vessel maintenance and other vessel specific tasks.
- Work with Captain and crew to maintain cleanliness of vessel throughout.
- Work with management to quickly assess situations and work with operations team to relay information appropriately in the event of unusual circumstances (mechanical issues/failures tour deviations, passenger incidents or injuries, etc…).
How to Apply
Please complete our online application via the link provided below.