Every summer, Major Marine Tours hires seasonal deckhands, customer service agents, and reservation agents to help run our operations in Kenai Fjords National Park. Our 2019 season runs from March 9th to October 13th, but most of our seasonal hires are expected to commit from early May to the end of September. If you are interested in a position with our growing team, please see the positions we currently have available listed below:
Position: Driver / Guide
Reports To: Transportation Coordinator / General Manager
Status: Full Time Seasonal - Hourly
Major Marine Tours is seeking safe and competent drivers that demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude with the goal to achieve quality customer service. Our drivers provide safe, friendly and timely shuttle/transfer service on designated routes around Seward.
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to our five guiding principles:
- Use safe driving techniques and follow all company, local, state and federal laws while operating company vehicles.
- Safely assist guests while boarding or disembarking from company vehicles, and with the handling of their luggage.
- Gain an understanding of Alaska and specifically the local Seward area. Use provided information to develop personalized and factual narration for tours you conduct. Be able to accurately respond in a timely manner to customer questions.
- Gain an understanding and follow all DOT regulations and company policies. This includes conducting pre and post trip inspections, and completing all required paperwork.
- Clean the interior and exterior of buses on a regular basis.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for a driver/guide position:
View Job Description
- Must be at least 21 years of age by May 1 2020
- A current Class B Commercial Driver’s License with a Passenger endorsement and Air Brake restriction removed
- A clean driving record
- Ability to pass a Department of Transportation physical
- Be willing to submit to pre-employment, random, post accident, and just cause drug and alcohol testing
- Demonstrate good communication skills - both written and verbal
- Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 50 pounds
- Successfully complete a training program
Position: Customer Service Representative
Reports to: General Manager
Customer Service - Represent Hertz of Seward to the general public and community. Personal meet/greet of customers, respond to customer inquiries in person and via telephone or email. Complete rental reservations and contracts accurately, efficiently and in a friendly manner. Work as part of the overall sales team to process all related paperwork, accurately record rental details and clean vehicles and workspace as needed.
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to the five guiding principles of Hertz of Seward:
* Environmental responsibility
- Report to work on time and be a reliable member of the team - Report and be ready for work when your shift begins. Clearly communicate any deviations from the schedule that you may need in advance. Being here and ready interact with customers appropriately is a mandatory job function.
- Through training and leadership, learn the various processes and procedures in quoting rates, completing reservations and rental agreements, and all associated paperwork as required. Be able to use Capture system to complete transactions accurately, efficiently and in a friendly manner in order to achieve a high level of quality customer service. Complete all follow-up processing and reporting according to set procedures in order to maintain positive accountability for all transactions.
- Clearly communicate verbally and in writing as needed with other employees any situations requiring follow-up attention. Communicate with team members regarding on-going situations and issues clearly and concisely to achieve smooth and seamless service to customers.
- Maintain a clean, neat and orderly personal work space, as well as public reception areas and restrooms.
- Maintain a “teamwork” attitude and work ethic to complete the various tasks needed to ensure friendly and efficient service, clean & well maintained vehicles, and a safe workplace. Work with other Hertz team members to ensure vehicles are clean (interior and exterior), fueled and ready for their next rental.
- Gain knowledge of the local and statewide travel routes, attractions and transportation options. Be able to share this information with customers in a clear and concise manner.
- Work congenially with partnering companies and their employees to ensure that the overall visitor experience is positive.
- Appearance/Grooming: Excessive jewelry, body piercing and tattoos are not allowed. Specific uniform items will be supplied when you are representing the company. Represent Hertz of Seward in a professional and friendly manner whenever interfacing with passengers or community members.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for a Customer Service position:
View Job Description
- Demonstrate good communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude with the goal to achieve Quality Customer Service.
- Must have a current Alaska Driver’s License and provide a current copy of driving record.
- Be willing to submit to post-accident, and just cause drug and alcohol testing.
- Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 50 lbs. Employees are regularly required to sit, stand, walk, see, talk and hear. Frequently they will need to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
View Job Description
Reports to: Reservations Manager
Pay Status: Hourly - Seasonal Full-time
General Function: Sales Agents are responsible for assisting customers with planning and booking their Major Marine Tours, Harbor 360 Hotel, and Gateway Hotel reservations. Sales and customer support will occur through a combination of phone, email, and in person communications. The primary duties of this position are answering customers’ questions, providing suggestions, and processing reservations. You will be an integral member of our Sales Agent Team, working closely with the Reservations Manager and your fellow team members in a fun, fast-paced work environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Providing World-Class Customer Service
Sales Agents are responsible for being knowledgeable about our products (including cruise, hotel, and other services such as transportation and activities) and interacting with customers in a friendly, professional manner. Sales Agents will become familiar with our products through a combination of training, studying our reference materials, and experiencing our products first-hand. A thorough understanding of our products is crucial to helping customers with their questions throughout the booking process. Major Marine Tours is committed to world-class customer service throughout the entire customer experience, and Sales Agents are an essential part of this experience as they are the first point-of-contact between the customer and our company.
Selling Our Services and Products
Successfully selling our products is a key Sales Agent duty. You will be encouraged to upsell products by offering our customers additional services or special packages. You will be responsible for phone and email communications for both Major Marine Tours and Harbor 360 Hotel, and you must be comfortable with upselling cruise and hotel packages. Incentive programs such as contests and office sales goals will occur throughout the year to encourage upselling.
Making and Processing Reservations
The main duty of a Sales Agent is to assist customers with planning and booking their reservations. Sales Agents may also help customers plan travel itineraries and recommend local attractions and places of interest. Many of our customers are planning their one-in-a-lifetime Alaska vacations, and they often look to our Sales Agents as a resource for travel planning. Knowledge of popular tourist activities in Alaska is helpful, but not required, for this position. Once a reservation is made, Sales Agents are responsible for processing payment and sending confirmation details to customers. If an issue arises with a reservation, Sales Agents are responsible for resolving the issue with the customer. Sales Agents are expected to be careful and accurate when processing reservations.
When not making reservations, Sales Agents may be asked to perform other duties, such as double checking reservations, making copies, stocking supplies, running errands, etc. Sales Agents may also be asked to perform special sales and marketing projects.
SALES AGENT SKILLS
Sales Agents must have excellent customer service skills and be able to communicate with customers and fellow team members in a friendly, professional manner. Sales Agents must be detail-oriented and enjoy helping others. In addition to these traits, our ideal candidate will have the following skills:
View Job Description
Basic computer proficiency
Working knowledge of office equipment, such as copiers, fax machines, and scanners
Reports to: Company Port Engineer
Status: Hourly Seasonal / Full Time
General Function: Provide support and assistance to the Port Engineer, Operations Manager, and the Captains in executing vessel maintenance, including organization and resupply of spares and repair parts. Provide hands on efforts to make routine and emergency repairs to vessels, support equipment and facility, as directed by Port Engineer.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for an Engineer position:
- A strong understanding of engines, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Possess a current CPR certificate and First Aid card (training provided after hiring if needed).
- Basic understanding of vessel operations and the Alaskan environment.
- Agree to submit to and pass drug testing as detailed in the company drug policy.
- Be able to regularly lift and move a minimum of 70 lbs.
- Position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, see, talk and hear. Position requires need to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Must be able to work in harsh weather conditions for long hours on a variable schedule.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to the five guiding principles of Major Marine Tours:
- Environmental Responsibility
View Job Description
- Gain understanding of systems and maintenance needs for all vessels in order to facilitate safety of passengers, and successful operation of the boats. This will include routine maintenance schedules, and involvement of vessel repairs, either routine or emergency.
- Responsibility for understanding of pertinent Coast Guard regulations and company policy. Complete all related paperwork in a professional, accurate, consistent and timely manner.
- Be physically on-site and mentally prepared to work as scheduled by Port Engineer.
- Maintain open, clear and positive communication regarding all aspects of vessel maintenance and safety with Operations team, Captains and crew.
- Work with Port Engineer to handle all aspects of assigned projects on facilities, vessels and other vehicles. Manage assigned projects including procurement of parts, supplies or sub-contractors, performing work, ensuring that all work will be completed in a timely manner, and within the approved budget.
- Develop understanding of tour routes and information provided by Major Marine Tours and serve as crewmember when needed. When on-board as deckhand, work with other crew to maintain appropriate inventory, staff the galley and offer direct passenger services as needed. Be able to give leadership and training to crew regarding vessel maintenance and other vessel specific tasks.
- Work with Captain and crew to maintain cleanliness of vessel throughout.
- Work with management to quickly assess situations and work with operations team to relay information appropriately in the event of unusual circumstances (mechanical issues/failures tour deviations, passenger incidents or injuries, etc…).
How to Apply
Please complete our online application via the link provided below.