Spend Your Summer Amazed by Denali “The Great One”
The Alaska Collection, an experience by Pursuit, offers several lodging and attractions including the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge, Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge, Seward Windsong Lodge, and Kenai Fjords Tours.
About Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
Have you dreamed of exploring the great Alaskan wilderness or spending the summer in a quintessential Alaskan town? Does spending your summer at the doorstep of adventure have a certain appeal? If your answer is yes, Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge offers the ultimate experience in seasonal employment.
We believe that collecting memories is far more important than collecting things. We share your longing to explore. To get out into the world in search of remarkable experiences. This is what we call ‘living’.
/ Our Vision is to be the world’s leading provider of experiential adventure travel.
/ Our Mission is to connect guests and staff to iconic places through unforgettable, inspiring experiences.
We are seeking fun, adventurous, hard-working, and conscientious people to join our team under the Midnight Sun. Our hiring needs range from chefs and servers, to maintenance and management, and everything in between. If you have a background in hospitality, tourism, maintenance, hotel management, natural sciences or recreation, we want to hear from you!
Life is not one-size-fits-all, and neither are we. These places and experiences have the potential to change lives.
Are you ready?
Our season runs May through September and we employ more than 175 seasonal employees each year. Supervisory and entry level jobs are available at all locations.
The Employee Experience
Our employees come back year after year; they describe Talkeetna as "special", "family-like", "fun" and "amazing". We have the best views of The Alaska Range, are visited by local moose and bears (often on property), and plenty of wide open spaces, clean air, and some of the best employee housing in the industry. We are a short jaunt from the quaint town of Talkeetna, Alaska, which boasts a cat as their mayor, aka "Mayor Stubbs". Talkeetna also has its own brewery, several local artists, live music and great food. The lodge offers many employee activities and is considered one of the best places Alaska has to offer.
Our ideal candidate is someone who wants to truly experience all that Alaska has to offer and believes in our mission. We are selective to ensure our employees and our guests have the best experience possible during their stay. Each job is important. We value integrity, a strong work ethic, a self-starter and a team player. Successful employees are those who step in where needed and can bring their best. We find our team members to have an adventurous and generous spirit. If you sincerely enjoy working with people and want to contribute to an amazing guest experience, while having an unforgettable and unique experience of your own, then we want you to work with us.
Room and Board
The Lodge provides optional on-site housing for its employees who are 18 years of age or older, on a first-come first-served basis, with preference given to employees from out of town. Rules and policies are in place to help ensure a quality, peaceful living experience for everyone. Employees are required to sign a housing agreement if provided with company housing.
We have two types of communal housing:
- Dorm Style housing with communal cooking, leisure/TV and gender separate shower/restroom facilities for employees.
- Employees share a bedroom with 1-3 others and will share the communal areas with 32 other employees.
- Apartment Style housing that includes a kitchen, bathroom and television for individuals.
- Employees share a bedroom with 1-3 others and will live in an apartment with 6-7 other employees.
Employee Housing Charges
- A monthly housing fee of $5-$8 per person per day will be deducted from the employee’s paycheck while living in employee housing.
- Employees will be charged for any damages to their employee housing unit, failure to return their housing keys, and for any missing or damaged bedding items or lodge-provided items.
All kitchens are equipped with refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, cooking equipment and utensils. The Lodge also provides bedding and towels and has free on-site laundry facilities for employees living in employee housing.
The Lodge also has three trailer sites available with full hook-ups for $4/day.
Most cell phone carriers have service in the area, but employees are encouraged to check with their carriers before arrival.
The Lodge offers free wireless internet for personal laptops, however each employee may only register 1 device and is limited to using only 1GiG of data PER DAY. Employees living in apartment-style rooms are encouraged to purchase a private, monthly internet package to enjoy more data usage either privately or shared with your roommates.
Employees are encouraged to experience all of Alaska Collection locations and products. We offer employee perks and discounts on Kenai Fjords Tours day cruises, discounts on Lodge room rates, restaurant discounts, retail, and may other deals for a variety of Alaska adventures in the area.
Pay Days/Direct Deposit
Pay days are bi-weekly, every second Tuesday. Pay advances are not available, so please ensure availability of sufficient funds for food, etc. during the first three weeks of employment. The Lodge encourages employees to sign up for direct deposited payroll for additional security. This requires the employee provide a voided check on the account funds are to be deposited to.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Travel to Talkeetna, Alaska
- The closest commercial airport (Ted Stevens International) is in Anchorage and is approximately 3 hours from Talkeetna; the flight from Seattle to Anchorage is approximately 3.5 hours in duration
- Driving from Anchorage to Talkeetna is approximately 3 hours
- If you choose to drive to Alaska, give yourself plenty of time and make sure you have the international requirements to get through Canada
Traveling From Anchorage to Talkeetna
- A train travel employee discount is available. A fax request from the Lodge's Human Resources Department is required for bookings. Please see Alaska Railroad's website for schedules and contact the Lodge HR office for a reservation
- Buses and shuttles are also available. Please contact your manager for more information
What to Bring
A good alarm clock (battery operated) if you have an early shift! The summer climate can be absolutely gorgeous and sunny one day and cold and wet the next. It can be cold in early May and September so employees need an assortment of clothing. The average summer temperature is 65 degrees and some suggestions are:
- Jacket (water and wind proof)
- Hiking boots (waterproof)
- Sweaters and warm fleece
- Shorts, yes there is that possibility of warm temperatures
- Uniform pants and shoes (detailed uniform requirements will be sent by hiring manager)
The historic town of Talkeetna has a year round population of approximately 800 people.
We are 3 hours north of Anchorage and 2.5 hours south of Denali National Park. Talkeetna sits about 60 air miles from Denali “The Great One” and is the take-off point for mountain climbing expeditions. We also pride ourselves in being a destination spot for some of the best fishing, hiking, rafting and picturesque prospects in all of Alaska.
The Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge is a great opportunity for you to work, develop friendships, and see all Alaska has to offer! We welcome you to join our team!
- Flight seeing
- Marine tours (Kenai Fjords Tours, a sister company, offers employee discounts)
- Dog mushing tours
- Zip lining
- Rafting, canoeing and kayaking
- Four wheeling
- Jet boating
- Biking and Running on paved 14 mile path
- Many staff get together for games of football, soccer, bocce ball, badminton, basketball, etc.
- The Lodge features two restaurants, a lounge and a gift shop
- Town offers restaurants (including a pizzeria and several casual dining establishments), watering holes, a small general store, bakeries, coffee shop, library, post office and a full service grocery store 13 miles down the road
- A shuttle service is available from the Lodge to town or it is a beautiful 1-2 mile walk into town. Plus there is a community shuttle that is available for trips to the full grocery store several times a day Mondays through Fridays
- The town has a bank that is 12 miles away - MVFCU - Mat Valley Federal Credit Union
Lodging/Housekeeping, Food and Beverage, Maintenance, Front Desk, and Gift Shop Staff