Playing Outside & Growing Inside Since 1935
Gwynn Valley is a co-ed residential summer camp located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina. We offer a farm, wilderness and traditional program that nurtures each camper while fostering a connection with the land and the simple joys of childhood. Gwynn Valley is a child-centered world where each camper learns and grows under the guidance of a mature and caring staff.
Gwynn Valley is located in Brevard, North Carolina on 400 acres just outside of Pisgah National forest.
About Gwynn Valley Camp
Our core values.
Since 1935, Gwynn Valley has promoted simplicity, acceptance, appreciation of the natural world, and a non-competitive program.
Our farm-to-fork program.
Learning about and participating in food production is an integral part of camp life. Almost all campers will visit our 25-acre farm during their session to harvest vegetables, collect eggs, feed baby cows, and meet baby chickens, pigs, and goats. We grow about 25,000 pounds of vegetables each summer, and 60% of the food (and 100% of the beef) served in our dining hall comes from the Gwynn Valley farm. With so many fresh, local ingredients, it’s no wonder our kitchen is known for delicious, healthy, made-from-scratch meals!
Our commitment to environmental stewardship.
For decades, environmental stewardship has been a priority at Gwynn Valley. For instance, we:
- Grind corn and churn ice cream in our 1890’s water-powered grist mill - no electricity required!
- Minimize waste in our dining hall (we use “real” table settings, not paper and plastic), and recycle virtually all of our paper, plastic, glass, and metal.
- Use water-saving showerheads, low-flow toilets, and energy-saving lightbulbs.
- Heat over 70% of the camp’s hot water using wood-fired water boilers fueled by dead and down trees from our forest.
Choice-based, age-appropriate activities.
Giving children the freedom to explore their interests and choose their activities has always been a priority at Gwynn Valley. Campers select their multi-day morning activities upon arrival, and they choose their afternoon activities every day after lunch. Activities are sorted by age so the level of challenge and intensity can be tailored
to the group.
The Employee Experience
- Live, play, and work in the great outdoors
- Make a difference in the life of a child
- Go on active adventures
- Live in and explore a beautiful part of the US
- Make new friends from all over the world
- Bank more money than you think given the few expenses you have here at camp
- Develop life and career skills (leadership, collaborative skills, communication, public speaking, etc)
- Live the human powered existence where you seldom get in a car
We hire creative, fun, inspiring individuals who demonstrate a desire to work with younger children and who have strong character, leadership skills, and experience to teach in our program areas. Our counselors are at least 18 years old and most have finished their freshman year of college or equivalent.
Camp counseling is serious business and is only for those diligent people who can put the campers' needs before their own. Camp Counseling is hard work and maybe one of the most difficult jobs you could undertake, but at the same time, it can also be the most rewarding.
Room and Board
Housing is provided for all staff working at camp. Cabin Staff live in cabins with kids and are responsible for their cabin group. Non-cabin staff live in side rooms, private rooms, or extra beds within the cabins
Getting Here and Getting Around
Staff are encouraged to bring a personal vehicle if possible. For staff flying to camp we provide airport pickups in Charlotte and Asheville.
We are located in Western North Carolina, a hub for outdoor recreation. Near camp we have incredible mountain biking in Dupont State forest, rafting and paddling on the Nantahala river, and hiking and rock climbing in Pisgah National Forest. We are also located 45 minutes from the city of Asheville, which has a thriving music, arts, and food scene in a mountain setting.
How to Apply
Click on APPLY HERE and fill out our online application or submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org