Work at a traditional, overnight summer camp on beautiful Lake Pokegama in Minnesota - develop as a leader, learn new life skills, and experience the incredible reward of working with children.
Camp Mishawaka is located in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and was founded in 1910. With more than 100 years in the business, Mishawaka is a traditional, overnight outdoor camp serving children ages 8-16. Located on Lake Pokegama, campers stay for 2, 4, 6, or 8 weeks at a time. Our campers come from all over the country and world, representing 31 different states and 10 different countries.
Camp Mishawaka is located on the shores of Lake Pokegama in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Lake Pokegama is a beautiful 5,000 acre lake that offers natural access to the Mississippi River. It is cool, clean, and the sandy shore and gently sloping beach offer great access to everything the waterfront offers.
About Camp Mishawaka
Camp Mishawaka seeks to hire summer staff members for a variety of positions for the 2024 season from June 9th-August 10th who share a commitment to making a positive difference in the life of a child. Overseeing and developing lessons for specialized or general camp activities, living and fostering an atmosphere of safety and comfort for a cabin group of 4-6 campers for up to eight weeks, leading a variety of activities throughout the day, and/or possibly planning and guiding extended wilderness trips for up to five days, staff at Mishawaka are provided with true leadership opportunities.
The Employee Experience
All the skills counselors learn (and hone), including critical thinking, collaboration, organization, communication, and creativity, have real world applications, and whether you are considering a career in education or another field, working effectively with people from different backgrounds and areas, as Mishawaka staff members do, provides an experience that you will be able to draw on for years to come.
Due to the seasonal nature of camp, our staff are usually students and teachers - often a combination of married couples, veteran teachers and college-aged men and women. We do not require previous camp experience; we want to employ people who are passionate about leading by example and connecting with kids.
- Availability between June 9 and August 10
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Be 18 years of age or older by the time of employment
- CPR, Wilderness First Aid, Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor, and other relevant activity certifications preferred for activity head positions
- Enjoy working with children
- Cultural competence and enthusiasm for working with a diverse and dynamic community
- Ability to communicate with peers, campers, and parents, including written correspondence and recordkeeping
- Ability to observe and assess, by sight and sound, dangerous situations and behavior that endangers the camp community
- Physical ability to move independently from place to place throughout a multi-acre, outdoor camp, and maintain your cabin area, including routine cleaning chores and assisting campers in need.
- Capable of appropriate responses in a variety of situations that arise when working with children including regulation of emotions.
Room and Board
Free room and board are provided for all staff. There is a variety of housing at Camp Mishawaka including large lodge-style cabins with electricity and smaller ones without. Counselors generally share a cabin with 4-6 campers. All lodging is simple, yet comfortable with easy access to adjacent shower and bath facilities. Free weekly laundry service is also provided, and a camp vehicle can be utilized on days off.
In addition to their salary and room and board, staff at Mishawaka enjoy the following benefits:
- A travel stipend is based on where they live. It is intended to cover the cost of transportation to Camp Mishawaka.
- Weekly laundry service
- Use of a camp vehicle on days off
- Use of camp equipment like paddle boards, kayaks, and canoes during time off
- Regular staff get-togethers and social hours during time-off
Getting Here and Getting Around
Camp Mishawaka is located in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. This small northern town is about three hours north of Minneapolis, and an hour and a half northwest of Duluth. For out-of-state staff, most arrive by plane, flying into Minneapolis/St. Paul Int'l Airport. When you arrive at the airport, a member of our team will be there to pick you up and bring you to Mishawaka!
For staff members who wish to drive to camp, that is no problem. Parking is available once you arrive. If you do not have a car, you may use a camp vehicle during your time off.
Belaying a climber, teaching a camper how to sail, or describing to to build a perfect campfire — your day will be full of fun as you enjoy the natural beauty of the northern wilderness.