A Summer Job vs A Life Experience: Join The Manitou Team
Manitou is a residential boys camp in the beautiful Belgrade Lakes region of Maine. Manitou prides itself on a state of the art camping facility with an unmatched variety of programs. On the job training allows our staff to build resilience, grit, collaboration and communication skills. Become your best self by meeting people who attend Manitou from around the world.
Manitou is located on the shores of East Pond, in the Belgrade Lakes region of Maine about an hour and a half from Portland and three hours north of Boston.
About Camp Manitou
We are hiring enthusiastic and mature leaders. Are you looking for terrific life experiences?
As a Manitou staff member, we'll ask you to provide an exceptional experience to our campers, and we'll pledge to give you a community where you are valued and your contributions matter. We achieve success because we believe in our values and our community.
Will you build your skills this summer?
Responsibilities: You are the primary caregiver for each camper. The Counselor is responsible for planning, instructing, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding each child's personal growth and daily living skills. We value staff who aspire to lead children.
What do we expect?
- You will assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within sports, and throughout the camp to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- We will train you to apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth.
- The care and safety of the child are our top priority. You will appropriately supervise campers at all times. Our training helps you to be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of programs. Be responsible for leading and assisting with the instructing of activities you love and actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.
- Be a role model to others in your attitude and behavior. You will make friends from around the world. Relationships formed at Manitou last a lifetime.
- Set a good example for campers and others regarding general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
The Employee Experience
We achieve success because we believe in our values and our community. Check out this video to learn more!
MANITOU’S CORE VALUES: THE CORE FOUR
1. Do the right thing
2. Make every day count
3. Give back
4. Play for the game
We connect Do the Right Thing to respect and integrity, Make Every Day Count to positivity and passion, Give Back to selflessness and appreciation, and Play for the Game to healthy competition and tolerance.
Provide an exceptional community guiding boys to reach their full potential.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our camp. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Will be self-motivated, reliable, multi-talented and passionate about working at camp and positively impacting our campers lives forever!
Room and Board
All staff will live with our campers and other counselors in our cabins. The cabins are equipped with electricity, and bathroom that are inside the bunk. We will provide all meals, laundry and access to internet.
Base salary begins at $2,000 for the summer season and climbs based on your age and level of expertise. You'll also receive a travel stipend and pre-summer training meant to build your leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills.
Once camp is in session you will get one day off a week and two or three nights off per week. On your day off you'll have the opportunity to explore Maine, go whitewater rafting, paintballing, concerts or just relaxing.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Camp Manitou is located on East Lake in Oakland, ME. Camp is a three hour drive north from Boston, MA and an hour and a half from Portland, ME.
The staff experience is essential to the success of our community. We often organize evening programs at camp or places in the nearby towns.
You'll have access to our fantastic facility, pick up sports games and a vibrant waterfront.
Maine is a terrific place to spend the summer because it offers beaches, great food, and fun coastal towns such as Portland and Bar Harbor.