A Summer Job vs A Life Experience: Join The Manitou Team
Manitou is a residential boys camp in the beautiful Belgrade Lakes region of Maine. Manitou prides itself on a state of the art camping facility with an unmatched variety of programs. On the job training allows our staff to build resilience, grit, collaboration and communication skills. Become your best self by meeting people who attend Manitou from around the world.
Manitou is located on the shores of East Pond, in the Belgrade Lakes region of Maine about an hour and a half from Portland and three hours north of Boston.
About Camp Manitou
We are hiring enthusiastic and mature leaders. Are you looking for terrific life experiences?
As a Manitou staff member, we'll ask you to provide an exceptional experience to our campers, and we'll pledge to give you a community where you are valued and your contributions matter. We achieve success because we believe in our values and our community.
Responsibilities: You are the primary caregiver for each camper. The Counselor is responsible for planning, instructing, coordinating, carrying out activities, and guiding each child's personal growth and daily living skills. We value staff who aspire to lead children.
What do we expect?
- You will assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within sports, and throughout the camp to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- We will train you to apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and youth empowerment.
- The care and safety of the child are our top priority. You will appropriately supervise campers at all times. Our training helps you to be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of programs. Be responsible for leading and assisting with the instructing of activities you love and actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision, including recognition of personal health needs.
- Be a role model to others in your attitude and behavior. You will make friends from around the world. Relationships formed at Manitou last a lifetime.
- Set a good example for campers and others regarding general camp procedures and practices, including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
We achieve success because we believe in our values and our community. Check out this video to learn more about the staff member experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our camp. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The Employee Experience
Staff members at Manitou develop leadership skills for life.
- Our camp is a terrific place to build your confidence and presence.
- You'll work alongside teammates eager to collaborate to craft a memorable experience for our campers. Manitou staff members learn how to lead group discussions, practice conflict resolution, and coach kids to grow and build skills.
- In our intentional community, you will meet people who live in locations around the world. Our campers and counselors seek to build positive relationships with empathic, caring, and trustworthy people. Manitou relationships last a lifetime.
- At Manitou, your office has no desk, no walls, and you'll rarely wear anything more than a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. You'll spend your summer at a beautiful Maine camp on the shores of a pristine Belgrade lake.
Will be self-motivated, reliable, multi-talented and passionate about working at camp and positively impacting our campers lives forever!
Room and Board
All male staff members live with our campers and other counselors in our cabins. The cabins are equipped with electricity, a bathroom that is inside the cabin, and there is recreational and storage space. We will provide all meals, laundry, and access to Internet.
Base salary begins at $2,400 for the summer season and climbs based on your level of expertise. You'll also receive a travel stipend and pre-summer training meant to build your leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills.
Once camp is in session you will get one day off a week and two or three nights off per week. On your day off you'll have the opportunity to explore Maine, go whitewater rafting, paintballing, or have a relaxing day away from the campers.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Camp Manitou is located on East Lake in Oakland, ME. Camp is a three hour drive north from Boston, MA and an hour and a half from Portland, ME.
The staff experience is essential to the success of our community. We often organize evening programs at camp or places in the nearby towns.
You'll have access to our fantastic facility, pick-up sports games, and a vibrant waterfront.
Maine is a terrific place to spend the summer because it offers beaches, great food, and fun coastal towns such as Portland and Bar Harbor.
How to Apply
Once you complete the application, we will contact you for an interview and to discuss opportunities for 2024.