Come teach outdoor education to youth in the Rocky Mountains!
YMCA of the Rockies-Snow Mountain Ranch-Winter Park, CO-30 mins from Rocky Mountain National Park
- Granby, Colorado
- $250.00 / week
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 5 months (Aug 13, 2018)
The Fall Outdoor Education Program at Snow Mountain Ranch runs from 8/13 - 10/19. There are opportunities to arrive early or extend later and work in an alternative position/department. Please indicate your available dates on your applicaiton.
Facilitate adventure/outdoor-based programs including low/high elements challenge course, environmental education, climbing wall and day hike interpretations.
- High school graduate or GED equivalence.
- Minimum of one season of experience facilitating adventure and outdoor education programs.
- Experience working with multiple populations ranging from school age to adults in an outdoor setting.
- Knowledge of interpretive natural history of the Rocky Mountains.
- Read and speak English.
- Teach ecological concepts in an experiential setting.
- Experience leading hikes up to eight miles in length.
- Experience with low and high elements challenge courses including belay techniques.
- Current first aid and adult/child CPR.
- Become familiar with Snow Mountain Ranch adventure/outdoor education programs through in-service training and independent study.
- Development of adventure/outdoor based programs to be implemented for clientele.
- Implement emergency procedures as necessary.
- Facilitate challenge course operations, and lead interpretive hikes.
- Maintain YMCA standards of behavior while working with clientele.
- Supervise participants of program areas in which they are responsible.
- Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests and staff
- Prefer BS or BA degree in environmental education, adventure education, environmental science or related field.
- Prefer wilderness first responder.
- Provide general program/YMCA information for guests.
- Development of curriculum in adventure/outdoor education programs.
- Administrative duties.
- Work in other program areas as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position paying $250/week with additional employee benefits including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort – limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)