Lifeguard - (Room & Board Included!)
High Rockies, located between Winter Park Resort and Rocky Mountain National Park
- Snow Mountain Ranch/YMCA of the Rockies in Granby, CO
- $250.00 / week
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 2 months (May 07, 2018)
You will have the opportunity to serve guests in a resort setting which makes this a dynamic lifeguarding position. Enjoy the luxury of a 20:1 guests to guard ratio. We are looking for people that are wanting to expand their lifeguarding skills (we will certify you if you are not already a lifeguard but have extensive swimming experience) in an indoor and outdoor setting.
Lifeguard applicants must be either currently certified or able to pass an American Red Cross lifeguard certification class before beginning work. Through the approx. 25-hour training course, including videos, reading, group discussion, and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid, CPR/AED, and other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard. Your certification will be good for two years.
- If you aren't certified, you must able to perform the following PRIOR to taking the lifeguard certification course:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, using a correct breaststroke or front crawl. (untimed)
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Employees leaving for any reason prior to the end of their work agreement may be charged $200 for the cost of the Lifeguard Certification.
- Be able to pass the written and practical exam at the end of the class before you will be employed as a guard. Applicants unable to pass either exam may receive an offer of employment in a different department.
- Possess current First Aid and CPR certifications
- Possess good human relations skills.
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be able to lift 40 pounds
- Responsible for maintaining the safety of guests and cleanliness in the aquatics facility
- Direct and supervise others with professionalism and respect
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $250/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!