Museum Intern - Seasonal
On the stunning eastern edge of Rocky Mountain National Park
- Estes Park Center, Colorado
- No experience required
The Museum Intern assists the Museums Director and Historian in all facets of operation of the Lula W. Dorsey Museum. The focus of the internship will be conducting an inventory of the YMCA of the Rockies Museum collection.
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be working towards a degree in history/museum related field, graduate level preferred
- Must enjoy working with people of all ages, especially school aged youth
- At the direction of the Museums Director, conduct an inventory of the museum collection including photographing and data entry into Past Perfect Museum software
- Assist with other collections management projects including but not limited to: acceptance of potential donated artifacts, accessioning artifacts, filing archival documents and updating collections records in Past Perfect
- Independently open and close the museum buildings two days per week and other days as directed by Museums Director
- Greet museum guests at door, introduce them to the museum and answer questions
- Responsible for keeping the museum buildings and grounds clean and orderly, report concerns to the Museums Director
- Assist Museum Director with exhibit design, artifact changes and light construction
- Support volunteers in their duties as museum interpreters
- Must be physically able to climb stairs multiple times daily, lift up to 25 pounds from floor level, and lead up to 2 hour walks around the YMCA grounds
- Must possess the ability to quickly retain learned historical facts
- Must be fluent in speaking English and possess effective communication skills
- Must possess basic office skills and be organized
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver's license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $250/week (paid biweekly), with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
How to Apply
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1032, or email email@example.com
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!