Meaningful job in a beautiful place! Day Camp Inclusion Counselors support Campers with High Needs
Located in the gateway town to Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, Colorado.
- Estes Park, Colorado
- $16.42 - $16.42 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (May 20, 2024)
Ideal dates: May 20 - August 16, 2024
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM.
- Weekends are encouraged to explore our incredible surroundings and get involved in everything YMCA of the Rockies has to offer staff. This is a great opportunity for those looking for a seasonal job in a beautiful mountain town.
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Day Camp Director and direct supervisor, this position is responsible for working with our campers who have high needs that require intentional supports this may include but it not limited to physical needs and special needs. They are also expected to keep the children safe in an outdoor environment and make sound decisions with the help of a co-counselor. They should be role-models for the children exemplifying the 5 Core Values of YMCA of the Rockies; Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities specific to camper needs
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Ability to care for campers with toileting, feeding, and other physical needs
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, swimming, archery, hiking, scavenger hunts, etc.
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for assigned camp group
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance
- Know, understand and follow all emergency procedures associated with the day camp program
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for campers’ safety and whereabouts at all times
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and how we can serve the participant appropriately and report concerns to Camp leadership
- Ensure that day camp sites are kept clean, organized, and free of litter
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- CNA certification or other nursing certification, nursing classes, or practical experience working with children with high needs
- Experience working with individuals with special needs
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, swimming, team building activities, campfires, skits, and physical games
- Must enjoy working with children of all ages
- Must have the ability to restrain and physically support children weighing 50-200 pounds when needed for safety in general camp activities
- Upon hire, must complete YMCA-provided First Aid and CPR certification, and for some positions, Wilderness First Aid certification
- Must be fluent in speaking and writing English.
- Must possess strong organizational and communication skills
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on uneven terrain.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
Compensation Package & Employee Perks:
This position pays $15.42/hour with the opportunity to opt-in the Rocky Mountain Living Package which includes:
- Housing in dormitory-style housing
- Buffet meals (3 meals/day, 7 days/week)
- Free or discounted gear rentals for outdoor adventures
- Rocky Mountain National Park and Winter Park Ski Resort as your backyard
- YMCA of the Rockies Membership - access to all facilities
- Cultural events hosted by the YMCA
- Free laundry
- Free Wi-Fi
How to Apply
Apply now via the link below.