Join us as an Outdoor Education leader and share the magic of camp with area youth!
Camp is located in Middleville, MI. We have a beautiful lakeside property!
- Middleville, Michigan
- $60.00 - $65.00 / day
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Aug 22, 2022)
The outdoor education instructor will implement and help to plan and supervise the outdoor education program. Outdoor Education staff work weekdays, hours will vary. Retreats staff work weekends, hours will vary. Schedules can be flexible to accommodate education or other employment.
- Teaches daily outdoor education classes to Camp participants
- Leads evening programs when assigned.
- Provides an educational and positive experience for teachers, group leaders, and program participants.
- Teaches and monitors proper use of equipment.
- Checks equipment and make (or file for) repairs.
- Submits orders for equipment and supplies when needed.
- Ensures the continued cleanliness of all camp facilities.
- Assists in packing all materials and supplies at end of season.
- Assists in the development of lesson plans that will foster participants’ outdoor living skills and environmental sensitivity.
- Evaluates current season and make recommendations for equipment, supplies, and program for following season
- Works with other camp staff in a positive, professional manner.
- Maintains high level of professionalism during and while representing the YMCA & Camp Manitou-Lin programs.
Performs any other functions deemed to be necessary for the smooth and efficient operation of the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids
$60 - $65 per day; Seasonal, Non-Exempt
- Housing available!
- Free YMCA Membership!
- At least 18 years of age and high school graduate or equivalent, college degree with a B.A. or B.S. in Outdoor Education, Recreation, or Environmental Science preferred
- ACA, OLS training or equivalent
- Documented training and experience in outdoor living skills and environmental education.
- Blood Borne Pathogen training
- First Aid and CPR Certifications required, YMCA to provide training upon hire
- State of Michigan criminal background clearance (ICHAT)
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Uses best practices, guidelines, and industry standards as a framework to improve performance.
- Organizes program or project resources, space, or deliverables to best meet intended goals and outcomes.
- Delivers a high-quality experience to members, participants, or project teams.
Developing Self & Others
- Supports members, participants, or project teams in achieving their goals.
- Reflects on and learns from successes and mistakes.
- Proactively shares information, experiences, lessons learned, and suggestions to help others be more successful.
- Volunteers for challenging tasks or projects in an effort to grow and develop.
- Solicits and is open to informal learning opportunities to gain insight (e.g., performance feedback, coaching, and stretch assignments).
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
0-5% of local travel within the state of Michigan; occasional out-of-state travel may be required for educational conferences or training.
Guiding Principles describe our behaviors to support our organization’s work throughout its life in all circumstances, irrespective of changes in goals, strategies, and leadership. Our Guiding Principles are as follows: We CULTIVATE-We grow staff and volunteer leaders who will be stewards of the Y mission, resources, and opportunities. We OWN-We think long-term and act on behalf of the organization, beyond our own team. We WELCOME-We are inclusive of all people and all communities. We SERVE-We provide timely and excellent service to members, volunteers, community, and each other. We LEARN-We are never done learning and always seek to improve. We are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them. We UNITE-We work together to achieve big goals and speak as one voice. We RESPECT-We treat others with kindness and speak positively about other people in all situations. We PLAY-We celebrate, appreciate, and have fun!