Live, Work and Play in the Mountains!
Soak up the cool mountain air amidst a picturesque 1,200 acre forested campus. Come explore the Blue Ridge mountains and the Asheville music scene. Make lifelong friends and memories. Earn money for college and beyond. Grow as a leader. Find your way. That’s the Blue Ridge experience!
About YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly
YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly was founded over 100 years ago in Black Mountain, North Carolina as a conference center and mountain getaway, but also with a vision to be a leadership training center. The collegiate leadership program continues this legacy of developing leaders by furnishing valuable work and internship opportunities to college students, recent graduates and those still searching for their path.
We have an action-packed calendar of social events and staff outings, including campfires, movies, game nights, pool parties and off-grounds trips to area attractions like white-water rafting, amusement parks, Charlotte Whitewater Center, the Biltmore Estate and downtown Asheville.
We are always looking for the next generation of leaders to join our team, so apply now!
The Blue Ridge spirit captures those who seek a community to call their own. It lifts up those for whom friendship, fun and outdoor exploration are a way of life. And through our vibrant international cultural exchange program, the bonds of friendship and community stretch across all corners of the globe. We seek:
•Bright, motivated and passionate individuals who thrive in leadership positions.
•Service-minded people exploring a career in hospitality.
•Outgoing personalities who want to live for the moment and be a part of a community that welcomes all.
•Outdoor enthusiasts who are inspired by fresh air, cool breezes, mountain landscapes and bountiful trails and streams right outside their backdoor.
Room and Board
Our Younts Hall is our staff residence hall during the Fall, Winter and Spring. It offers furnished rooms, WiFi, ample common areas including a fully equipped kitchen and dining room
The staff meal plan is buffet style meals - breakfast lunch and dinner, with healthy options at every meal including fresh fruit and a deluxe salad bar
• Opportunity to live and work with other young people from around the world
• Time to enjoy mountain life
• Competitive hourly pay
• International ambassador opportunities
• Free college credit course (optional)
• Non-stop social events and trips including whitewater rafting and the Blue Ridge Parkway
• Free WiFi in dorm rooms
• Driving distance to the Asheville social scene
Getting Here and Getting Around
YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly is located 20 minutes from historic downtown Asheville, and less than 40 minutes from Asheville Regional Airport. We provide free transportation to and from the airport or bus station, but encourage those who have vehicles to bring them.
Besides the city of Asheville and the renowned Biltmore Estate, we are less than 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway and within driving distance of Pisgah National Forest the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
For those without their own car, don't worry--you can always tag along with others and Blue Ridge Assembly leads staff trips to numerous local attractions.
• Swimming and pool parties
• Volleyball, ultimate frisbee, soccer, kickball, basketball
• Open Crafts
• Disc golf
• Staff barbecues
• Whitewater rafting trips
• Biltmore Estate nearby
• Historic downtown Asheville
• Waterfalls through the local area
• The Blue Ridge Parkway
Summer Leadership Program
- Put your hands on! - Fall to Summer 2018
Located in in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina in Black Mountain on a picturesque 1,200 acre campus, the YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly is a non-profit conference and retreat center. Having hosted our first conference over 100 years ago, we continue to serve a diverse array of groups—churches, schools, colleges, family reunions and youth groups, among others. As a hospitality-focused YMCA, we are committed to delivering exceptional experiences for our 30,000 annual guests while developing a team of values-driven leaders.
The program put your hands on, consist in a great opportunity for young people to developed several skill in different areas under the hospitality industry. The program is going to take place in different department as food service, housekeeping, out-door program and conference services. The YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly will provided all the training, for each different department, where the staff will work. The period of the program would be from Fall to the end of Summer. Average of 40 hours per week.
Qualifications and Skills
- All candidates must be outgoing, courteous and customer-oriented and possess strong organizational and communication skills
- All candidates must be physically fit and mentally sharp
- All work must be completed with attention to detail, speed, accuracy and neatness
- Must be willing to work a variety of different shifts, including mornings, evenings and weekends
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Communicating and working with other departments to provide for a seamless and pleasant guest experience
- As the program say “hands on” and not a desk job. It often involves long periods of physically demanding work, so physical strength and stamina are required. The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. and remain on one's feet for long stretches is required.
- Commitment to the mission of the YMCA and upholding its values and ethics.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings as needed.
- Excellent, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and work in a team setting
Compensation and Benefits
- Work is paying by hour (base on 40 hours/ week) paying $220 per week.
- Free individual member to the Y of WNC, after a 90 day review period
- Free on-grounds housing in a private furnished room. All utilities and Wi-Fi are included, common areas including a fully equipped kitchen and dining room. NO BILL EACH MONTH
- Free meals in our dining facilities whenever conference groups are being served
How to Apply
Please visit our website via the links below and complete an online application. Email three references, including at least two current or previous managers, to the Director of Staff Recruiting at firstname.lastname@example.org