Retail Store Lead
$19.00 / hourApply Now
Position: Retail Store Lead
Location: Greater Yellowstone National Park Area, Wyoming/Montana
Reports To: Retail Operations and Visual Merchandising Manager
Status: Full-Time / Seasonal (May through October) / Non-Exempt
Yellowstone Forever (YF) is the official nonprofit partner of Yellowstone National Park. Our mission is to protect, preserve, and enhance Yellowstone National Park through education and philanthropy. YF connects people to Yellowstone through outstanding visitor experiences and educational programs and translates those experiences into lifelong support of the park and philanthropic investment in its future. Our educational programming and products help people enhance their understanding and appreciation of the wildlife, natural wonders, and cultural history of the park. YF’s operations include Park Stores in and around Yellowstone; the Yellowstone Forever Institute, which offers in-depth educational programing for people of all ages; and a supporter program which raises funds for priority park projects.
The Retail Store Lead plays a critical role in overseeing day-to-day Yellowstone Forever Park Store operations in assigned stores at visitor centers and contact stations around the greater Yellowstone National Park area. The Retail Store Lead oversees staff assigned to specific stores as defined by the Retail Operations and Visual Merchandising Manager and is responsible for the daily execution of effective retail operations. To include training staff, inventory management, daily/weekly/monthly reporting, store cleanliness and presentation, tracking and relaying key performance indicators (KPIs), and overseeing related systems, working to provide the highest quality visitor experience possible. Closely coordinating with the Retail Operations and Visual Merchandising Manager, the Retail Store Lead is also responsible for executing the retail merchandising, marketing, and communication plans in their assigned Park Store and proactively looking for ways to enhance the visitor experience and developing recommendations to senior retail staff in the process. Additionally, the Retail Store Lead will assist in selecting, training, and developing Park Store Associates. Success in this position requires excellent supervisory skills and customer engagement, experience capturing and analyzing KPIs and managing core operational systems, unrelenting pursuit of excellence, and a drive for continual growth and improvement.
- Effectively manage the customer experience throughout the store by executing merchandising plans, making recommendations, and testing product stories through creative displays and merchandising and monitoring and reporting on these tests;
- Actively greet and engage customers and be a Yellowstone Forever enthusiast related to our retail products, institute courses and offerings, the purpose of our philanthropy efforts, and the projects that we support annuall;y
- Provide training and mentoring to Park Store Associates and foster a collaborative, team-oriented environment with a high level of accurate execution, and support Park Store Associates to ensure their ability to perform tasks as required;
- Capture, analyze, and relay retail industry KPIs and lead staff to achieve the goals set for the assigned store, informed by captured KPIs;
- Support the Retail Operations and Visual Merchandising Manager with budget planning and forecasting for the store and control and manage expenses as they directly relate to their assigned store operations, given established budget;
- Work with the Yellowstone Forever facilities team to ensure displays, lighting, fixtures, and the store's physical appearance are maintained to the highest standards;
- Work with the Retail Operations and Visual Merchandising Manager and merchants to set product layouts in stores and deliver on the product distribution and visual merchandising plans;
- Develop a firm understanding and ability to navigate the retail back-end software systems to handle and track the accurate movement of inventory, stock levels, and inventory turns related to their store;
- Be a POS systems expert related to the iPad register screens, software sales systems, and credit card processing equipment and how these systems interact and communicate with each other;
- Work with organizational leadership and park partners to maximize store schedules, ensure appropriate staffing levels, and maintain staffing schedules;
- Process all transactions using the POS and other systems, and become a problem solver as it relates to these systems to keep transactions flowing efficiently through the store;
- Have a passion for creating and delivering a superior customer experience;
- Ensure that the store is held to the highest cleanliness and presentation standards;
- Work collaboratively within the Yellowstone Forever organization to ensure that Yellowstone Forever's procedures and standards carry out operations within the store;
- Collaborate with Finance staff to submit accurate and complete daily, weekly, and monthly reports and ensure proper levels of cash are maintained;
- Ensure staff responds to questions about the park by providing accurate information or referring visitors to another source when necessary;
- Ensure the active promotion of the Yellowstone Forever Supporter and Institute programs;
- Develop and motivate staff to achieve optimal performance;
- Represent Yellowstone Forever and its mission accurately and positively;
- Travel into Yellowstone, throughout the Greater Yellowstone area and others, as required;
- Other tasks as assigned by Retail Operations and Visual Merchandising Manager, or other designated leadership.
- 1-2 years of retail store experience, including use and performance related to retail industry KPIs;
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience;
- Experience in high volume (rush period) retail environment;
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Proven ability to quickly learn and apply new systems, processes, and applications;
- Experience providing excellent customer service;
- Self-motivated with a sound approach to problem-solving and timely task completion;
- Ability to sometimes work a flexible schedule, which may include nights, weekends, and holidays when needed;
- Ability to lift boxes/equipment weighing up to 40 pounds (with support of lift equipment);
- Ability to represent Yellowstone Forever in a courteous and professional manner;
- This position involves driving Yellowstone Forever vehicles; therefore, applicants must hold and maintain a valid US driver's license and a clean driving record for insurance purposes;
- A satisfactory criminal background check is conditions of employment.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise a team of employees;
- POS and retail experience;
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment;
- Knowledge of Yellowstone National Park.
Yellowstone Forever is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, political beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.