Yellowstone Bighorn Research Association: Head Cook / Senior Camp Cook
On Mount Maurice (Beartooth Mountains) overlooking Red Lodge, MT.
- Red Lodge, Montana
- $3,500.00 / month
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (May 20, 2024)
Position: Head Cook (Senior Camp Cook) Summer 2024
Timing: Summer 2024 Season (Mid-May to Early September), hiring now
Location: YBRA Field Camp, Red Lodge, Montana
Salary: Starting at $3,500 per month, higher salary may be negotiated based on experience and/or performance; room & board included at no cost.
If you are an experienced head cook with a positive attitude and love the mountains, the Yellowstone Bighorn Research Association (www.ybra.org) a non-profit summer field geology facility in operation since 1936 on the National Historic Registry will hire a full-time Head Cook / Senior Camp Cook for the summer of 2024 (mid-May to early-Sep) and beyond. The Head Cook / Senior Camp Cook plans and prepares meals in a lodge with a fully equipped kitchen at our historic camp near Red Lodge, Montana. The Head Cook / Senior Camp Cook will: 1) manage all aspects of the kitchen, dining room, and kitchen staff, including planning meals so that kitchen crew members each get 1 day off per week; 2) plan, and/or prepare, and/or serve 2 hot family and/or buffet style meals and 1 cold bag lunches to 30- 90+ students and faculty seven days per week, 3) live on-site (at no cost), 4) work an average of six days per week. YBRA has a recipe book but is open to the addition of new healthy and memorable camp meals. In addition to a competitive salary, meals and housing in a private cabin will be provided at no cost. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience working as a cook on a ranch, at a summer camp, in a school cafeteria, ski lodge, etc. or similar setting. This is an exciting summer opportunity for an energetic, entrepreneurial culinary professional who loves the mountains.
Candidates must ideally have most of the following traits and qualifications:
- Comfortable living and working at the rustic and historic field camp on Mount Maurice overlooking Red Lodge, Montana.
- Comfortable working in a family-friendly environment with an upbeat, team and people-oriented culture.
- Experience as a Head Cook / Senior Camp Cook familiar with meal planning, food ordering and preparation for the varied number of guests at the camp, which can range from 30-90+ some weeks.
- The main meals are breakfast and dinner, lunch is typically a bag lunch prepared from supplies provided by kitchen for guests going out into the field.
- Consideration must be made for special menu requirements for individual guests, such as vegan or vegetarian or halal options.
- Experience managing, directing, and training kitchen staff to help set-up, serve and clean-up after meals.
- Able to manage kitchen staff schedules and meal plans to ensure adequate staff to prepare and serve the number of guests in camp each night and ensure 1 day off per week for the staff and Head Cook.
- Familiar with and certified in all applicable food & food safety regulations.
- Must be outgoing and engaging with guests as you, with the other camp staff are the “face” of YBRA.
- Must pass a background check and provide professional and personal references
- Must be ServSafe certified
- Must be punctual and reliable as meals are prepared and served to guests at set times.
- Be a talented multi-tasker and be able to work efficiently.
- Must be able to stand, walk and work in a warm kitchen environment for extended periods for meal preparation and clean-up.
- Must be able to lift 25 - 40 pounds.
- Experience as a cook in a high-volume ranch, camp, cafeteria, or lodge is required.
- Valid driver’s license to be able to drive a camp vehicle obtain food stocks, supplies at local and regional stores
Experience: Cooking: 3+ years, “home cooking” experience and culinary experience required.
Compensation: Salary starting at $3500 per month, higher salary may be negotiated based on experience and/ore performance.
Timing: The job is full-time during the season from mid-May to late August/Early September depending on the guest bookings and schedule.
Room & Board: Camp housing includes wifi, laundry and all utilities provided; all meals (breakfast lunch and dinner) are provided. No-cost housing is a private cabin close to the lodge where kitchen is located. In the past, spouses or partners of the Head Cook have shared the no- cost cabin provided and may also find summer employment opportunities at YBRA.
Location: YBRA Field Camp is in Red Lodge, Montana. A successful candidate must be willing to relocate to the camp (or reasonable daily commute initially) in mid-May to help open camp and train with our Camp Manager before starting work for the summer. Reasonable one-time travel expense requests to get to the camp for the summer may be considered on a case-by-case basis.