Opportunity to Live and Explore in Yellowstone National Park!
Yellowstone National Park
- Lamar Valley Buffalo Ranch, Wyoming
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (May 11, 2018)
Yellowstone Forever is the official nonprofit partner of Yellowstone National Park. We partner with Yellowstone National Park to create opportunities for all people to experience, enhance, and preserve Yellowstone forever. Our combined operations include 11 educational Park Stores with gross sales of over $5.1 million; the Yellowstone Forever Institute, which offers more than 600 in-depth programs each year; a supporter program of over 50,000 Yellowstone enthusiasts raising funds to support critical park priority projects; and an online community of over 300,000 worldwide. Yellowstone Forever has provided over $100 million of cash support and over $55 million of in-kind support since 1933. Our mission of engagement and support through education and fundraising for the park will ensure Yellowstone remains for generations to come.
The Campus and Program Volunteer supports the YF Institute field seminars and Yellowstone Overlook field campus. Each YF Institute field seminar is supported by one of our Campus and Program Volunteers. Field seminars are based at the Lamar Buffalo Ranch field campus, the Yellowstone Forever classrooms in Gardiner, or another location in the park. The Yellowstone Overlook field campus is based in Gardiner, and provides a location for adult students and youth groups to stay in comfortable lodging during their stay while participating in YF programs. Campus and Program Volunteers welcome and host students, orient them to Yellowstone Forever and the facility, assist instructors in logistical aspects of courses, drive the 14-passenger mini-bus for all field trips, assist in risk management in the field, and maintain and clean campus facilities. Campus and Program Volunteers also provide linen service and basic maintenance services at the Yellowstone Overlook field campus. Success in this position requires a welcoming demeanor, being a responsible and independent worker and being able to assist with the needs of various students. Depending upon the needs of Yellowstone Forever, Campus and Program Volunteers may spend more time or less on certain duties.
- Greet and check-in students and instructors
- Transport course participants in 14-passenger mini-buses
- Assist students and instructors in the classroom as well as in the field
- Oversee student safety and risk management in the field
- Clean and maintain assigned vehicles and facilities daily
- Represent Yellowstone Forever and its mission accurately and positively
- Foster a collaborative, team-oriented environment with YF employees, volunteers and partners
- Travel into Yellowstone, throughout the Greater Yellowstone area and other, as required
- Other tasks as assigned by the Field Campus Manager, or other designated leadership
- Willingness to live in close quarters, with a roommate at a remote facility in potentially extreme environmental conditions
- Proven interpersonal and customer service skills for greeting and orienting students, instructors and visitors
- Ability to maintain friendly, cooperative working relationships with a diverse population
- Willingness to keep facility and vehicles clean, safe and maintained
- Ability to perform basic cabin cleaning and maintenance tasks proficiently
- Physically able to perform basic maintenance skills, lift up to 40 pounds, and to accompany courses into the field on hikes of 2-10 miles at elevation on uneven terrain
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate student and facility needs and work with minimal supervision
- Attention to safety and risk management
- CPR certification (earned prior to starting work) and Wilderness First Aid certification (generally provided in training)
- Ability to pass a DOT Medical Exam, only Program Volunteer positions
- Willingness to support the needs of Yellowstone Forever through multiple assigned tasks in a volunteer capacity
- Ability to represent YF in a courteous and professional manner
- This position involves driving YF vehicles, therefore applicants must hold and maintain a valid US driver’s license, and maintain a favorable driving record for insurance purposes
- A satisfactory criminal background check are conditions of volunteerism
- Experience with campus management
- Experience with risk management
- The ability to pass and maintain a Department of Transportation medical exam
This is a volunteer position located at the Lamar Buffalo Ranch, inside Yellowstone National Park and at the Yellowstone Overlook Field Campus, just outside the northern gate of Yellowstone National Park. Campus and Program Volunteers will be provided with a comfortable cabin that may be shared with other volunteers. Volunteers will be provided a nominal fee of $15 per day to help offset out of pocket expenses. This may be taxable income; therefore, volunteers will receive a 1099 from Yellowstone Forever. Volunteers must provide their own health insurance for any health issues unrelated to the volunteer duties. Yellowstone Forever volunteers also receive a 30% discount on most Park Stores products and a free Yellowstone Forever Institute Field Seminar each year with over 10 days volunteering. Discounts on other courses and products are also offered. Benefits of this position include knowing that your efforts directly benefit Yellowstone National Park and having the opportunity to work in one of the world’s premiere wilderness areas.
Yellowstone Forever is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, political beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.