Become a part of our stellar Guest Services Team at our Remote Alaskan Fishing Lodge!
Located on Killisnoo Island, west coast of Admiralty Island National Monument 60 mi. south of Juneau
- $2,600.00 / month + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (Jun 10, 2019)
Whaler’s Cove Lodge 2019 Guest Services Staff
Department: Guest Services
Reports to:Guest Services Manager
To create a positive guest experience from first point of contact, through the reservation process, travel, arrival & welcoming, friendly departures, daily activities, processed fish shipments, and gift shop sales for up to 48 Guests per day, for an 74 day operating season. The lodge is located in Southeast Alaska, on Killisnoo Island, just off of Admiralty Island National Monument, near the City of Angoon. This is a remote wilderness lodge specializing in salt & fresh water fishing and ecotourism.
- Communication HUB
- VHF Radio Base, Dispatch for All Vessels
- Front Desk, Phones
- Hosting bi-weekly Welcome and/or Goodbye speeches.
- Accepting and tending to all (in-house) guest requests and communication with other departments (Kitchen, Housekeeping, Maintenance etc.) if so required.
- Fielding Guest Requests for Changes in Daily Boat Schedule
- Distribution of Guest Transportation Manifests
- Fishing Licenses – Sales, Distribution, Reporting to AK Dept. of Fish & Game
- Checking Reservation Emails Daily
- Guest Correspondence
- Support Guest Services Manager with all reservations.
- Working within the Reservation Database (GuestPoint)
- Inquiries & Information Packets
- Preparing and Processing Guest Check-in/check-out Paperwork
- Collecting Deposits & Final Payments, Including TIPS
- Guest Survey & Feedback Forms
- Support Guest Services Manager with all reservations.
- Preparing and Processing Employee Boat Rental Related Paperwork
- Checking the Incoming and Outgoing Mail; Visits to the Local Post Office
- Meeting and Greeting of Guests after each fishing day to socialize and to take pictures
- Tending to the Gift Shop. Selling merchandise to both guests and employees. Restocking and re-arranging when necessary. Inventory.
- Tending to the fireplace in the Main Lodge. Periodically cleaning of Front Desk work area including the Lobby area.
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Hospitality Industry Experience, Sales or Hosting
- Computer Literacy
- Microsoft Word - Advanced
- Excel – Intermediate to Advanced
- QuickBooks – Intermediate
- Point of Sale systems
- Familiarity with Database Management
- High School Graduate Required, College or University Experience Preferred
- Minimum of 8 years in Customer Service, Hospitality Preferred
- Professional, Positive & Self-Motivated
- Proficient Communicator
- Written & Oral
- First Aid Certified Preferred
Dates of Employment
Crew must be available for the entire season. Guest Services crew will fly to Alaska approximately June 19th and training begins onsite immediately. Opening day is June 25th and guests are at the lodge, every day, through September 7th. We have an 18-week operating season / 74 of those days are concurrent with guests. Flights home will be scheduled September 13th through September 20th, depending upon individual contracts.
Professionalism ~ We require our Guest Services Crew to present themselves in a professional manner at all times. We always have guests at the lodge (from June into September) with turnover days on Saturdays (every week) and Tuesdays or Wednesdays (alternating every other week). Because of our remote location, it is very difficult to replace any of our crew. We expect a commitment to stay the entire season or agreed upon length of contract. It is important that our applicants understand the operation and what responsibilities will be required of them.
Attitude ~ Our Guest Services crew have a position with very high guest exposure. It is important that our personnel enjoy people and enjoy showing the guests a good time. We are looking for individuals who can share the joy of hospitality. We require our team to have a positive attitude, show extraordinary manners, and be courteous at all times.
Safety & Medical ~ Our guides are our eyes and ears on the water. Guides are expected to keep tabs on other vessels from the lodge, including self-guided boats. At times our guides act as radio relay stations if a boat is trying to contact the lodge and is out of VHF range. Guided vessels are required to lend assistance to vessels in emergency situations where life or property is in danger. Guest Service crew staff the VHF radios 24/7 (in shifts) and are required to assist with any communications necessary.
Operating in the Alaskan environment is inherently dangerous and all of our employees are required to be aware and responsive to any potentially dangerous situation that may arise.
Guest Services crew must be healthy, physically fit, maintain a clean appearance, be drug-free (pre-employment drug testing and random seasonal drug testing is company policy at company discretion), and be a non-smoker. Anyone who cannot maintain themselves in a professional manner regarding alcohol consumption need not apply.
Guest Services Meetings ~ Whaler’s Cove Lodge facilitates training meetings and a weekly Guest Service meeting. The time and place of these meetings is established at the beginning of the season. All Guest Service crew are required to attend these meetings.
Salary: $2,600 to $2,850 per month DOE to start – plus the following:
Tips: Our guests stay for 3+days, and may tip crew directly or specify tip allocation at checkout. The tip pool is distributed every two weeks with payroll.
Transportation: First-year employees are responsible for their transportation to and from Juneau, however, upon successful completion of the season, the employee will be reimbursed the travel cost, with a cap of costs determined upon hire. Transportation is provided from Juneau, to Whaler’s Cove Lodge and back to Juneau.
Room & Board: Approximately a $1,500 per month value.
Accommodations: While at the lodge, the guides/crew will be housed in private rooms. Only very few crew rooms have private baths, all others will share bath facilities. Laundry facilities (including detergent) are provided for the crew along with bedding and bath linens.
Meals: Our staff enjoys hearty meals served buffet-style in the lodge dining room. There is no obligation for crew to share their meals with guests; crew is welcome to enjoy their meals in the privacy of their rooms, etc.
Personal Items: Your only living expenses while at the lodge will be personal items: i.e. toiletries, medicines, etc.
Whaler’s Cove Lodge is a permit holder in the Tongass National Forest and Admiralty Island National Monument. All rules and regulations are expected to be followed.