Come and work for a growing conservation non-profit and support NV land and a friendly staff!
Yerington, Nevada is a small but growing farming community of about 3,100 residents in rural west central Nevada, and is located about 85 miles southeast of Reno.
- Yerington, Nevada
- $37,440.00 / year
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Feb 13, 2018)
JOB PURPOSE: The primary purpose of Conservation Maintenance Specialist is to support field operations of the Walker Basin Conservancy’s (WBC) to ensure the successful transition of retired farmlands to self-sustaining vegetation communities that are able to thrive in the absence of supplemental irrigation. The Maintenance Specialist will work with the Field Manager and the Land Manger and other staff to operate, repair, and maintain stewardship tools, and is expected to spend a significant amount of time in the field and shop environment.
A deep knowledge of agricultural systems, irrigation equipment, vehicle and large equipment operation, repair and maintenance is essential. The Maintenance Specialist should also have the ability to, operate, maintain and repair a variety of welding machines, pneumatic tools, hand tools, hydraulic systems, and irrigation systems. The Maintenance position requires, mentorship, patience, technical aptitude, focus on efficiency, and a high level of comfort in the outdoors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In cooperation with the Field Manager maintain, repair, and overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, implements, trucks, pumps and irrigation systems.
- Operates, maintains and repairs ATV’s and other small motorized equipment.
- Assist with all aspects of successful stewardship implementation. Duties may include ground preparation, seeding, planting, irrigation, weed control, or other tasks as necessary.
- Examine equipment, create inspection reports, and confer with colleagues to locate and diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Repair or replace defective parts, using hand tools, milling and woodworking machines, lathes, welding equipment, grinders, or saws.
- Lead installation of drip, handline, trench, and wheel line irrigation systems.
- Creates and maintains current and accurate records for all Conservancy assets and rolling stock.
- Ability to identify the native and non-native flora of Nevada.
- Develop a deep working knowledge off all equipment, irrigation infrastructure, project partners, and vegetation management techniques used by the Program.
- Operates and maintains a variety of small to heavy equipment (hand tools, power tools, tractors, mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, backhoe, water truck, and large tractors).
- Other duties as assigned mutually agreeable between Walker Basin Conservancy and the employee.
- 5+ years of experience in a natural resource or agricultural setting
- General experience with and knowledge of irrigation equipment and operations
- Ability to safely operate, repair and maintain large machinery and vehicles including tractors, ATVs, trucks, and trailers
- Ability to safely operate, repair and maintain chainsaws, brush cutters, backpack sprayers, and other related equipment
- Ability to keep detailed records, communicate with other staff and supervisors, and to work unsupervised to accomplish program tasks
- Clean driving record and a NV State driver’s license, or ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds and to work long hours in an outdoor setting
Salary & Benefits:
Salary range starts at $37, 440 depending on experience. Benefits include a paid health, dental and vision care plan and generous paid leave and retirement plans.
Position will remain open until filled. Only top candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Subject Line: Maintenance Specialist
Please call (775) 463-9887 ext. 116 with questions.
Walker Basin Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.