Join us in SE Alaska to inspire visitors & locals to step into the extraordinary lifestyle of Sitka.
Work surrounded by mountains, ancient forests & the Pacific Ocean.
- Sitka, Alaska
- $45,000.00 - $55,000.00 / year
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Jul 11, 2022)
The Sitka Chamber and Visit Sitka are looking for an enthusiastic self-starter that can take a job and run with it from idea to completion. We are a small and very busy collaborative office with many programs constantly in progress. We are looking for an up-beat, honest team member who is as comfortable working alone as they are on a big team project and is always willing to jump in and assist any other team member as needed. If you enjoy managing multiple projects, are friendly with excellent customer service, and have great communication skills, then you can be our Communications Specialist.
Where are we located?
We are a small nonprofit organization located in Sitka, Alaska on the west coast of Baranof Island facing the Pacific Ocean. Our community of about 8,500 human residents share the area with eagles, bears, all five species of salmon, whales, sea lions, sea otters and so many more species of animals. Located in the midst of the Tongass National Forest, Sitka is only accessible by air and water – no roads reach us, but our main road in town stretches 14 miles from end to end. Sitka is a place of great natural beauty, a warm welcoming community, and instant access to nature steps from your front door. Our historic downtown offers locally owned shops and businesses that support Sitka’s artists, makers and eateries. Sitka’s commercial airlines offer daily flights to Seattle, Juneau and Anchorage, making Sitka easily accessible for visitors and for you to explore.
Promote, shape and enhance Sitka's image through accurate and effective communication strategies. This position works directly with the Director of Visit Sitka and the Executive Director of the Sitka Chamber of Commerce to plan and implement publicity strategies and campaigns that include digital marketing and print collateral. Applicants must posses exceptional project management skills and excellent written communication - a lot of descriptions include this, but we REALLY mean it. To succeed in this role, you will be a wordsmith and storyteller of the highest caliber while managing dynamic multi-faceted projects.
Want details? Click here to download a detailed job description.
Assist Director of Visit Sitka (DVS) with implementation of publicity strategies and campaigns including social media and website content development. Manage dynamic multi-faceted projects.
- Create and maintain communication timelines and a detailed editorial calendar, while working with contractors to ensure brand.
- Write press releases and other communications to build and maintain a positive image for the company and Sitka as a community. Create & manage external communications (including partner, trade and consumer newsletters, press releases, announcements, signage)
- Maintain company websites including generating blogs and some webmaster duties. Develop content for social media including Facebook, Pinterest. Track success and provide regular progress reports as well as analytics for reporting metrics.
- Working with contractors, create and update print and digital collateral.
- Manage travel trade leads program, working with fulfillment house to supply collateral to requestors.
- Promote Sitka at local, regional, state and national industry specific meetings, conventions, sales missions and trade shows.
- Support company meetings and events, as well as community and special group events throughout the year (such as industry events, Visit Sitka luncheons, conferences in Sitka).
- Represent the Sitka Chamber and Visit Sitka with integrity to all members of the world community.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in public relations, communications or relevant field with proven work track record of strong project management skills and creating successful communication projects.
- Excellent written communication skills. A lot of descriptions include this, but we REALLY mean it. To succeed in this role, you will be a wordsmith and storyteller of the highest caliber.
- Strong understanding of content tactics, including digital and social media communication, and use of content analytics.
- Advanced software proficiency is required, but not limited to Microsoft Office, Desktop Publishing, PowerPoint, WordPress, and the ability to learn software quickly.
- Outstanding project management talent, we have already said this but it bears repeating- excellent organizational, time management and planning.
- This is a full-time exempt position that requires 40 hours per week and may include evenings and weekends as needed.
- Willing and able to travel to trade shows and conferences by various means of transportation.
- Valid driver’s license.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as directed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, two professional references and at least two writing samples and two project work samples. Initial reviews will begin July 1 and will continue until the position is filled.
Email to Laurie Booyse at email@example.com