Are You Ready to Cut Down the Competition?
Raleigh is known as the "City of Oaks" for its many oak trees, which line the heart of the city.
- Raleigh, North Carolina (with training in Richmond, VT)
- $525.00 / week
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (May 23, 2018)
The NCYCC State Parks Saw Crew will work directly with NC State Parks personnel to remove trees and debris off state park trails with chainsaws. Project work will be in two or more North Carolina state parks. The crew will consist of two leaders and six corps members. The crew will live together in tents or cabins the entire season in state park areas close to the project work.
The crew will work approximately 40 hours a week with a typical week consisting of eight hours a day Monday through Friday, with one hour of the day reserved for focused education. The crew will continue to live together during the weekends and for the entire duration of the program service term. This crew will provide training and on-the-job experience to anyone interested in working for a state park and/or gaining experience for a natural resource career. The crew will understand the value of hard work, the contributions their work will make to North Carolina State Parks, and the need to focus on safety and excellence in all aspects of the project. Chainsaws and all other tools and equipment will be provided.
Prior chainsaw and leadership experience required. Must have a S-212 B sawyer certification and 1+yers serving as a crew leader in a corps. Saw crew leadership a plus. Crew leaders will participate in two weeks of training in Vermont and one week of training in North Carolina prior to getting their crew.
- At least 22 years of age
- Good driving record and a valid driver’s license held for at least three years
- Wilderness First Aid
- An unwavering commitment to safety in every aspect of the crew’s work
- Ability and desire to work with NC State Parks personnel to set work expectations and provide on-the-job training.
- Ability to support corps member training in chainsaw certification and other job skills
- An ability to work long, physical days running a chainsaw and working with heavy tools
- Commitment to modeling and teaching strong work habits in an outdoor setting of adverse conditions
- Dedication to creating a team environment that nurtures personal growth and accountability.
- A positive attitude, interest in service, and desire to make a difference
- Ability to work and lead in all weather conditions
- Ability to meet AmeriCorps expectations for corps members
- Ability to provide trainings, such as tool use and safety
Compensation: $525-$550/wk, room and board, $500 end of season completion bonus
Term of Service: May 23 - August 10, beginning and ending in Richmond, VT
How to Apply
Questions? Email or Call Pilar, Pilar.Lopez-Gomez@vycc.org or 802.434.3969 x 111.