"Nature. Cheaper than therapy!" Use your passion to connect people with nature!
Rocky Mountain scenery meets Southwest enchantment. Explore 920 square miles of wilderness!
- New Mexico
- $14.00 / hour + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 1 month (Mar 01, 2018)
Job Title: AM Sous Chef/Pastry Chef
Division: Ted Turner Expeditions
Location: Vermejo Park Ranch, Raton, NM
Reports To: Executive Chef
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Type: FT/PT or Seasonal / Housing & Meals Provided
Contact: Chris Redman / Recruiting and Training Manager
Phone: (406) 600-2551
"Connecting People With Nature", Ted Turner Expeditions (TTX) eco-conscious journeys are individually crafted and tailored to their specific North American locales: Turner’s Ladder, Armendaris and Vermejo Park Ranches and Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa in New Mexico. These unique adventures are intended to deliver insightful and exhilarating experiences across 1.1 million acres of private ranchlands, while also providing extraordinary guest service. Ted Turner Expeditions is committed to making a difference by inspiring individual action to preserve the integrity of our earth and the creatures that inhabit it. Make an impact, join our team!
Vermejo Park Ranch, located in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado, spans approximately 585,000 acres, making it the largest Ted Turner Expeditions vacation property. With its unique location in the southern Rocky Mountains, Vermejo is home to abundant wildlife populations such as elk, deer, pronghorn antelope, bison, black bears, mountain lions, and more. Through extraordinary guest service and our expert adventure guides, Vermejo provides guests of all ages unparalleled opportunities for outdoor exploration with activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing and wildlife viewing for a truly unforgettable Ranch getaway.
Ted Turner Expeditions is seeking an energetic and creative AM Sous Chef/Pastry Chef to produce breads and desserts of the highest quality at Vermejo Park Ranch. This individual will be a key contributor to quality dining experiences, a positive team dynamic, and a clean and efficient kitchen environment.
This job requires onsite living, rurally located an hour from the closest town, Raton, NM.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to prepare a wide variety of baked goods including; cakes, pies, cookies, and breads to the highest quality standards
- Strong capacity to decorate and present dishes to standards and concept of Executive Chef
- Ensure kitchen safety, cleanliness, and hygiene standards are met
- Properly manage time and priorities of kitchen assignments
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties and responsibilities. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: A culinary arts degree is not required for this position; however it is preferred, and a High School Diploma is required. A minimum of 3 years back of house pastry baking experience is required. Must have substantial experience in a fine dining kitchen. Must be familiar with upscale buffet service and composed plating. Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards and applicable health codes is required. Valid Food Handler License or willingness to obtain in a reasonable period of time.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Shows care and compassion for team members both in and out of department.
- Puts needs of coworkers above their own.
- Speaks about others in and out of department in a positive light.
- Shows genuine forgiveness for the shortcomings of others.
- Self-directed, energetic and motivated with multi-task capabilities.
- Ability to work independently, as well as with others.
- Maintaining a positive attitude while providing excellent service.
- Adjusts to high-pressure situations and is open to change.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development.
- Facilitates positive employee image and effective guest relations by demonstrating attention to detail, congeniality, integrity and sound judgment.
- Must possess strong interpersonal interaction skills.
- Available to work nights and/or weekends (flexible work schedule)
- Strong communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Organizational skills-Ability to be organized in a changing environment.
- Ability to maintain a calm professional demeanor in during periods of uncertainty or crisis.
- Conducts themselves (acts & dresses) professionally at all times in and out of the restaurant setting.
Language Skills: This position requires effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to read, understand, and follow recipes with accuracy. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Must be able to pay close attention to detail, solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Successful applicant must possess a valid New Mexico class C Driver's License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of employment. Driving record must meet the eligibility requirements of the TEI liability insurance carrier. Employee will be required to sign a confidentiality statement and undergo a background check.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee may need to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee may be required to work long hours, exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Location: Position requires the applicant to live on Ranch property approximately 40 miles from the closest town. Vermejo Park Ranch’s Headquarters are located 40 miles west of Raton, NM; a 4.5 hour drive south of Denver or 4.5 hour drive north of Albuquerque.
- Must adhere to Company and Ranch policies and procedures, which are included in the Employee Handbook
- Must have neat and clean personal appearance and adhere to company grooming standards
- Must present documentation establishing both identity and employment authorization within three days of hire, pursuant to federal law
- Employee will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement
- Employee will be required to submit to and pass a pre-employment drug screening
- Company housing is provided
- Will be required to work some weekends and be on a rotating schedule.
- The Company operates as a drug-free/tobacco-free workplace. Tobacco use is not allowed on the ranch property, to include but is not limited to, ranch housing, ranch vehicles, ranch offices or on ranch equipment
Turner Enterprises, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-Free/Drug- Free Work Place.
How to Apply