Soak up the sunshine as a member of our Landscaping Crew!
Breathe the fresh air in the Badlands at work!
- Medora, North Dakota
- $15.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 2 months. (May 06, 2024)
There’s no organization quite like the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation (TRMF). We’re a premiere tourism operation—and we’re a 501c(3) non-profit. We welcome hundreds of thousands of guests to an exciting, diverse lineup of entertainment, historical, and educational attractions—and we work tirelessly to connect people to Medora for positive life changing experiences.
TRMF was established in 1986—but our story begins before that. In 1962, nationally-renowned businessman Harold Schafer took an interest in a historic old town named Medora. He loved its history, its striking location, and its potential to inspire others. So he began revitalizing the old town: he restored a historic hotel, brought the Medora Musical to town, and so much more.
It was 1986 when the Schafer family, with Harold ready to retire from business, donated all they’d created in Medora to establish the non-profit Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation.
In the years since, we’ve grown from a staff of a handful of folks to more than 50 full-time employees, with hundreds more seasonal workers and over 650 volunteers. We’ve awarded hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of scholarships to our staff. The Medora Musical has earned the attention of The New York Times. And we’ve earned a reputation as the #1 tourism and hospitality provider in North Dakota.
We are a team of people who draw inspiration from Medora. We deeply respect this place, and the people we meet here. We deliver excellence in hospitality. We work with creativity and integrity. We’re a family that values family.
We are the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation.
As a member of the maintenance team, a Grounds Crew member will report to the Grounds Manager. A Grounds Crew member will have the primary day-to-day responsibility to perform landscaping tasks using power equipment and hand tools to maintain the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation in-town grounds.
- Maintains sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, or other features; performs general cleaning.
- Collets and discards litter or other waste materials.
- Operates a variety of maintenance equipment such as shovels, rakes, or saws to complete assignments.
- Operates power equipment and other vehicles such as tractors, mowers, chainsaws, electric clippers, or other similar machines.
- Plans and cultivates lawn, or gardens and based on landscaping designs, designs, determines further work that should occur.
- Delivers and spreads topsoil and/or straw over newly seeded grass.
- Prepares chemicals as needed for application by mixing according to directions.
- Applies fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs or trees by spraying or spreading.
- Performs maintenance on irrigation systems including any necessary winterizing procedures.
- Maintains any specialty features such as rock gardens, retaining walls, decks, or playground equipment.
- Work collaboratively within the maintenance department including general maintenance, sanitation, and other duties as needed.
- Participates in workplace safety training sessions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position operates in an outdoor environment. This role routinely uses standard maintenance and landscaping equipment. Continuously in hot/heat outside conditions. Frequently works humid conditions, with sharp objects and heavy machinery. Frequently works with grease, oil, md, and around fumes, gases, odors and or dust. Occasionally works in cold conditions, and with chemicals.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Ability to operate various types of power equipment including lawnmowers, trimmers, hedge trimmers, leaf blowers, and other landscaping equipment.
- Ability to use hand tools required for landscaping.
- Ability to follow instructions and complete assignments.
- Knowledge of landscaping techniques and processes.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills
- Good verbal communication skills.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Previous experience preferred
- On-the-job training offered.
- Knowledge of horticulture preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and at least one year of driving experience with proof of good driving record.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Continuously required to stand, walk, balance, hear, reach with hands and arms, and lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Frequently required to lift up to 100 pounds, carry up to 50 pounds and crouch.
- Occasionally reach overhead, and sit
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus to determine accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of work assigned and able to determine safety of workplace surroundings.
TRMF is located in the heart of the Badlands: Medora, North Dakota.
It’s situated near the border separating North Dakota and Montana, along Interstate 94. Medora is the basecamp to Theodore Roosevelt National Park: 110 square miles of rugged beauty. You’re never more than a few minutes away from a night under the stars or a bike ride along the thrilling Maah Daah Hey Trail. In Medora, beauty and adventure abound.
Our central hub of operations, the Life Skills Center, is a state-of-the-art campus, purpose-built for the glory of work and the joy of living. It features a dining room, a fitness center, as well as spaces for music, studying, learning, prayer, reflection, and socializing—all designed with our employees in mind.
- You have a passion for exploring beautiful places and meeting people from around the world.
- Competitive wages with great opportunities for overtime work
- Affordable company provided housing on-site
- Employee meals provided at low cost in employee dining room
- Explore Medora and its attractions free or at discounted costs. Including the Medora Musical, Bully Pulpit Golf Course, Trail Rides, Mini Golf, Retail Shops and more!
- Learn more at www.medora.com/employment
How to Apply
Drivers License preferred. Please apply online below and attach your resume.