Seasonal, with Potential to become Year Round Head Chef Opportunity
Tonglen Lake feels like a remote, fly-in Lodge but is easy to access by car!
- McKinley Park, Alaska
- $30.00 / hour + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (Mar 01, 2022)
We are shifting from a B&B style Lodge to a FULL-SERVICE Lodge and looking for a Chef to join our team to help with menu creation and execution of new and current recipes to create a high-quality culinary experience for our guests. The Summer (busy) season runs May 27-Sept 13, with a week of training/shut down on either end of that.
Duties will include:
- Menu planning for both morning bakery & café, and evening Dinner Service (All meals are included in the cost of accommodations for up to 50 lodge guests daily);
- Recipe development;
- Costing and pricing of all menu items;
- Ordering of all consumables, including beer, wine, fresh produce, perishable goods, and a pre-season bulk order of dry goods (Produce purveyor delivers 2-3 times/week. Most other acquisitions are weekly. Suppliers are 120 – 250 miles away.);
- Ordering of all other café supplies, including to-go containers, napkins, plastic ware, etc.;
- Training and supervising staff of up to 10, including morning and evening service, back and front of the house;
- Planning and execution of food and beverages for a variety of special events, including catered dinners, workshops, weddings, retreats, wine tastings, etc.;
- Maintaining accurate inventory, with an eye toward a minimal over-wintering supply and cross-utilization of ingredients;
- Working closely with the owner to balance needs of lodge guests, café ambiance, and the business side of the café;
- Maintaining the agreed-upon standard for café fare, cleanliness, and procedures; Improving efficiency in the flow of prep and kitchen set up.
- Commercial kitchen experience a must;
- At least 3 years management experience;
- Food Protection Manager Certification;
- Completion of Training for Alcohol Professionals;
- Ability to lead a team and keep a positive atmosphere in kitchen and café;
- Ability to effectively teach others;
- A positive attitude and an interest in contributing talents and energy toward the efforts at Tonglen Lake;
- Ability to be flexible and communicative;
- Interest in being part of a small, close-knit team of seasonal employees is a must;
- Willingness to work flexible hours to support both AM and PM service in café, and events.
Desired Skills and Experience:
Our ideal candidate has a variety of experience in food & beverage, management, ordering and logistics, and familiarity with the operation of a seasonal business. They also possess an interest in taking a relatively new café to another level in terms of production, efficiency, profitability, and creativity, within the confines of the seasonality, remote location, etc.
How to Apply
Please email our General Manager with a letter of interest and your resume, highlighting applicable experience.