Outdoor Learning Center - Seasonal Outdoor Instructor
Outdoor Recreation and Education Company seeking skilled Outdoor Professionals!
Endless Horizons is the parent company of a family of businesses that are diverse in their missions, but share a common commitment to offer programming and experiences to help individuals and organizations grow to their full potential. We specialize in outdoor recreational opportunities for all ages and personal and organizational development programs that focus on leadership and team building.
A majority of our positions are located in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, however, we also have several positions in the Seneca Rocks area of West Virginia.
Jobs in the Spotlight
Nelson Rocks Outdoor Adventure Center Hiring Seasonal Adventure Guides!
About Endless Horizons
The Endless Horizons family of businesses includes:
- Camp Horizons, an exciting summer camp for children ages 6-17 that also offers specialized outdoor recreation programs for schools, church groups and businesses throughout the rest of the year;
- Outdoor Learning Center located at Camp Horizons, offers programming and facilitation in team building, outdoor education, and conservation for school groups, corporate retreat groups, and any other groups.
- Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center in West Virginia offering one-of-a-kind outdoor adventures;
- Horizons Hospitality, providing food service, event planning, and venues for special events and meetings
The Employee Experience
Located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, the opportunities to get involved in outdoor activities outside of the job as well as to facilitate on the job are endless. From hiking and backpacking to rock climbing and caving to kayaking and tubing, and everything in between you will definitely be able to find something to do on your days off. We are located 2 hours from Washington DC and about 3.5 hours from Virginia Beach so you can explore the area and we don't think you will be disappointed.
At Endless Horizons the main thing we look for in our staff is flexibility in their work and schedules. Working in the outdoor industry, things are ever changing and we need staff who are flexible and can use creative thinking and problem-solving skills to make sure they are always providing the best experience possible. some other traits we look for are:
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate situations and make appropriate decisions, including emergency situations.
- Willing to learn and grow with the position
- Consistent in attendance and stable work history.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service to diverse populations.
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing team member.
- Must have the ability to multi-task.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A hunger to learn and ability to flourish in a dynamic, high-growth, entrepreneurial environment.
- Discretion regarding confidential and proprietary information, combined with poise and professionalism in all communication.
Room and Board
We do have availability for housing at our different locations however these options are different throughout. Please ask for more information.
Many companies have offered pro-deals for our staff members such as: Chacos, Sierra Trading Post, Black Diamond, Patagonia, Petzl, Liberty Mountain, and Experticity (Formerly Promotive). We also have discounts for staff members at NROCKs to climb the Via Ferrata and do Canopy tours at a lower rate.
Getting Here and Getting Around
We recommend staff bring their own vehicle because while most of the housing provided is on site, some of our locations are about 30 minutes from the nearest town. At Camp Horizons, the town of Harrisonburg is about 15 minutes away.
The nearest international airport is not less than 2 hours from our facilities.
Some activities available for staff include:
- rock climbing
- Farmers Markets
- Harrisonburg International Festival
- Kings Dominion (1.5 Hours)
- Busch Gardens (2.5 Hours)
- Washington DC (2 Hours)
- Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown (3 hours)
- and much more!
Endless Horizons offers several different work environments for Outdoor Recreation Professionals. From a summer camp where you can spend your summer working with kids and using creativity during the scheduled activities at Camp Horizons, to teaching outdoor education and team building to school and corporate groups with our Outdoor Learning Center, to being a guide on the premier Via Ferrata (a recreational rock climbing activity) in North America at Nelson Rocks Outdoor Adventures.
The Dining Services Manager will work independently and/or with the supervision of the Director of Program Services to analyze program needs and develop, implement or coordinate the delivery of a wide variety of programs, including dining operations, for Horizons Consulting LLC, Horizons Outdoor Learning Center, Valley Pike, Camp Horizons summer camp, and Mountain Valley Meeting and Retreat Center.
Outdoor Learning Center Instructors are responsible for the care and management of groups while delivering high-quality outdoor programming. They are expected to create a positive atmosphere while establishing opportunities for experiential learning and authentic growth for students and clients. As we consider the outdoors to be a classroom, the instructors are expected to take on a teacher mentality while providing team building and personal development programming, outdoor adventure and guiding, and science and environmental education classes among other programming. Our clients include public and private schools, colleges and universities, scout groups, and specialty retreats. Instructors will also be responsible the logistics before, during, and after a groups stay. This includes preparing program areas and facilities, facilitating meals and transitions, developing programming, and cleaning and general maintenance. As the groups arrive with chaperons, our Instructors are not responsible for campers once they are in cabins for the evening. Additional responsibilities between programs will be assigned as needed and will include landscaping, basic maintenance of gear and facilities to maintain the safety and quality of our facility.
JOB SUMMARY: Assists in the daily operation of Mountain Campus Dining Service and Building and Grounds Maintenance to include: front and back of house kitchen operations, grounds maintenance, mowing, landscaping, and facility cleaning and maintenance. QUALIFICATIONS: • Previous F&B experience • Current food handlers certification • Previous grounds and maintenance experience • Class B Commercial Drivers License a plus
Under the general direction of the Operations Support Manager, or designated supervisor, the Bus Driver shall be responsible for providing a safe, caring environment for the camp participants in accordance with the Endless Horizons Transportation Policy. The Bus Driver shall transport the children/clients to and from designated locations as assigned in a safe manner. The Bus Driver shall maintain cleanliness of the vehicles, conduct pre-trip inspections, weekly inspections as assigned, and complete all required logs and documentation regarding the vehicles.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS:
• Valid Virginia State Class B Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger and
Air Brake endorsements