Outdoor Learning Center - Seasonal Outdoor Instructor
Located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley
- Harrisonburg, Virginia
- $80.00 / day
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Mar 14, 2018)
With a focus on team building, challenge and community, the Outdoor Learning Center at Horizons offers school groups, scouts, and retreat groups an unforgettable experience in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. The Outdoor Learning Center is now seeking Instructors to lead groups in team building and educational programs of all shapes and sizes!
The Outdoor Instructor works under the direction of the Director and Coordinators of the OLC to deliver educational and adventure programming to our clients.
Outdoor Education through Adventure: Instructors may find themselves teaching any number of environmental, personal growth, and teamwork lessons during high and low rope activities, archery, caving, field games, climbing, backpacking, and paddling.
- 1-year outdoor recreation experience or camp counselor preferred
- Experience working with children preferred
- Must have completed or be in the process of completing an undergraduate degree. Or have commensurate work experience.
- Must have the status to work legally in the United States.
- Good driving record and ability to drive a 15-passenger van (training provided)
- Must hold current First Aid and CPR certifications.
- Must have experience or comfort with outdoor education, recreation activity, and adventure skills (camping, climbing, paddling, hiking, etc.).
- Documented experience teaching/ working with children with priority given to those who led in an outdoor adventure or environmental education environment
- Must deliver a clean Virginia criminal background check.
- Availability for the entirety of a season (Mid-March through mid-June or Mid-August- Mid November) With summer options available.
- Must be able to: lift 50 pounds, be continually physically active for up to 8 hours a day, and work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must possess excellent communication and group management skills, and ability to teach
- Desire and willingness to work in a natural camp setting in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Strong listening skills, detail-oriented, and the ability to multi-task
- Able to maturely play the role of educator and entertainer
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads activities in caving, canoeing, archery, field games, environmental classes and evening programming; prepares and facilitates on high and low rope courses; inspects equipment throughout use to ensure it meets safety standards.
- Supports user groups in all aspects; helps user groups establish and achieve goals for their experience; promotes a safe environment where individuals will feel comfortable challenging themselves; recognizes and responds to opportunities for problem-solving with the group; identifies user group needs; helps user group members recognize their potential.
- Responsible for keeping user groups on schedule; instructs user groups on proper attire for each day’s activities; monitors behaviors and uses appropriate methods to adjust undesirable behaviors.
- Maintains safety at all times; instructs user groups on camp policies and the details of emergency procedures; carries out established role for enforcing camp safety regulations and the supervision of user group health and safety; maintains safety as a primary focus in all activities.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned
Terms and Compensation
A typical work week is 5-6 days during the Spring (mid-March – June) or Fall (mid-August – mid-November) season.
Full-time (weekly) instructor pay rate will correlate with experience and includes on-site housing during the season.
Part-time (daily) instructors are on an on-call basis and pay rate will correlate with experience.
Mandatory paid staff training with food and lodging included.
Food and group gear for all instructors provided when on the program.
How to Apply
Please email resume and contact information of two professional references to Katie Hanley