Activities Guide 2023 Season
$16.00 / hour + tipsApply Now
Activities Guides are professional guides committed and focused on providing unparalleled customer service and have the skill and demeanor to facilitate a safe and fun experience for our guests. Guides will be rotated through different tours throughout the cruise ship season, so every week will be a new adventure! Guides will be cross trained in leading electric mountain bike tours, lake kayaking, zodiac, sea cycling and hiking tours, as well as rotating as a safety boat driver and/or camp hand. Position is non-exempt, hourly DOE.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Conduct safe and informative, high-quality tours, which meet and exceed guest expectations
- Meet and greet guests with a professional attitude and appearance;
- Service & maintain all equipment in the best possible condition, report damage and issues to supervisor;
- Share knowledge and relevant information in a fun and entertaining manner in front of groups as large as twenty people;
- Prepare all equipment and supplies for each day’s needs;
- Participate in all required training and educational clinics;
- Attend all safety training, meetings, and clinics. Maintain current knowledge of all safety procedures;
- Work collaboratively with fellow guides and all management;
- Outfit guests in weather appropriate gear and safety equipment;
- Campfire, beverage, and snack setup at camp;
- Oversee safety of kayak guests from the safety boat and help as needed;
- Provide instructions to guests of varying skill levels on the safe use of equipment;
- Answers and addresses any guest concerns or questions;
- Cleans and organizes all equipment, vehicles, and workspaces, and maintains inspection log;
- Always demonstrate outstanding guest service and professionalism;
- Build a comprehensive knowledge base about the flora and fauna of Southeast Alaska, the history of The Mill at Ward Cove and surrounding areas;
- Work a flexible schedule;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Safety Focus: Must be able to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for guests, employees, and the public;
- Customer-Service Focus: Must understand that customer service is a top priority and must conduct all actions with this in mind;
- Attention to Detail: Maintaining high company standards in the upkeep of gear and equipment, presentation of the tour product and customer focus;
- Problem-Solving Skills: Must be flexible and able to produce appropriate solutions quickly, working across the organization at times. Must be able to find creative solutions to unique problems and employ a logical and organized thought process;
- Presentation skills: Must be able to deliver a scripted/non-scripted, entertaining, informative, safety briefing and tour presentation on a 2–3-hour tour multiple times a day to guests with varying backgrounds and skillsets;
- Successful completion of on-the-job training required;
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a team setting.
Education and Experience:
- First aid & CPR certified; lifeguarding, water rescue, kayak instruction helpful, WFR a plus.
- 1 to 2 years of previous guiding experience in an outdoor environment preferred, but not required.
- Driver’s License Preferred.
- Able to work outdoors for long days in diverse weather conditions.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds at times.