Camp, Hike, and Canoe With Teenagers That Need Your Help!
Located South of Charlottesville VA and West of Richmond VA near the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Dillwyn, Virginia
- No experience required
This is a unique job opportunity for those that have a true calling and passion for helping youth. In the Group Leader position, you are directly responsible for helping a group of teenagers build their confidence and problem-solving skills through daily work projects and individual therapeutic growth. Our students’ lives are changed for the better in their time at our school and the relationships that they build with their Group Leaders are a very important part of that.
Discovery School is an outdoor, therapeutic boarding school, where year-round the students live in rustic campsite villages comprised of 7-8 tents. The tents are constructed from trees that the students, with staff help and supervision, cut down themselves! The Group Leader position entails living with and providing supervision for the students for 4 days out of the week, followed by 3 days of time off. Therefore, we are looking for people who are dedicated to taking on the challenge of enacting positive change in the lives of our residents.
This position allows you to directly impact the lives of teenagers who need to learn and be challenged to live more successful lives. Our close-knit and supportive team environment values working together. Many close friendships are built as a result.
If you are the type of person that is looking for work that has purpose, is motivated by a challenge, and is interested in being a part of a team, the Discovery School may be the right place for you.
We provide on-the-job training in:
• Emotional De-escalation Techniques
• Group Dynamics
• Individual and Group Treatment
• Outdoor Living Skills
• Conflict Resolution
• Wilderness First Aid Basics
• CPR/First Aid/AED
• Handle With Care Behavior Management System
- College Degree (Bachelor’s Degree in human services; ie- Social Work, Psychology, Education, etc.); Must have documented experience working with youth for 6 months if Bachelor’s Degree is in another field or have not yet fully completed degree.
- Ability to work in campsite settings and participate in outdoor recreational activities
- Can rise to a challenge
- Concern for others
- Sense of adventure
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to work 4 days on and 3 days off
- Medical and Dental plan after 60 days – (a portion of medical and dental paid by Employer) long term disability, life insurance paid by the employer
- Additional insurance benefits available for purchase by the employee
- Up to $500.00 in moving expenses for qualified applicants
- SIMPLE Individual Retirement Plan
- Three weeks paid vacation per year based on a 4 day on and 3 day off work schedule eligible for use after 6 months
- Salary: $30,160