Get paid to PLAY!
Located at the end of a breath-taking box canyon sits Telluride, Colorado (elev. 8,750'), a National Historic Landmark surrounded by the highest concentration of 13-14,000ft peaks in the US.
- Telluride, Colorado
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 2 months (May 20, 2019)
Telluride Academy’s Boating Director (BD) is responsible for facilitating a safe and educational boating program for Academy students. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Program Director to hire an appropriate Assistant Boating Director and additional safety boaters when the Academy’s programming schedule should require additional staff.
- Creating an organizational boating curriculum and criteria that will be taught to all Academy instructors during the Academy’s annual staff training.
- Becoming familiar with ALL Academy boating locations (flat water and moving water) and acting as a point of contact for site mangers and Academy Field Instructors when applicable.
- Overseeing all moving water experiences and acquire and manage the appropriate additional staff to safely facilitate such activities.
- Facilitating the Academy’s flat water boating, if desired, when it does not conflict with a moving water experience.
- Coordinating with specific programs and program staff to facilitate daily boating activities and logistics. The BD will work with the Program Director to create a boating schedule that accommodates all upcoming programs. Once programming has begun, the BD will facilitate, instruct and participate with Academy students in a variety of flat water, moving water and dry-land workshops.
- Carrying (at all times) the Academy’s river permits and be the primary steward of the permits, including submitting timely and accurate usage logs for post use reporting.
- Managing trip/weekly budgets set by the Finance Director and given a company credit card.
- Maintaining boating gear inventory as well as working with the Program Director to order new and improved gear when needed.
- Collaborating with Program Director to revise Telluride Academy’s Boating Policies and Procedures as needed. This is to include emergency procedures and site specific resources as they pertain to an emergency.
- Maintaining an accurate record and submit a physical copy of all Academy expenses and receipts at the end of every river trip or end of session.
- Ensuring that adequate boating gear inventory, equipment check-in and storage occurs at the end of the Academy’s programming week and the summer season. This includes the regular maintenance and cleanliness of all trailers and vehicles specifically used by the boating program staff (ie. Academy Suburban and F350).
*Must have a current (or willingness to obtain) Nationally Recognized Swift Water Certification and River Rescue Technician Certification.
* Must have WFR certification (or higher), and CPR/AED.
* Technical Resume listing river sections/class, river miles and roles.
* Must pass a Federal Background Check
* Must display a clean driving record
* Ability to drive a 15 passenger van and a large trailer
* Must be physically capable of rigging and de-rigging river trips.