Mentor Teen Girls from around the Global as part of TechGirls this Summer - Hiring NOW!
Beautiful university campus set in the mountains.
- Bedford, Virginia
- $2,000.00 - $2,200.00 / season
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Jun 20, 2023)
TechGirls connects and supports the next generation of women leaders (ages 15-17) in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in a dynamic youth exchange program in the United States. Staff dates: June 20-August 1, 2023. TechGirls is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is administered by Legacy International.
TechGirls brings together 126 young women from 36 countries/territories. We are hiring 12 women (ages 20+) who are energetic, passionate, diverse in talents, and organized people who can build community and facilitate a fast-paced exchange program. (A tech background is NOT required to apply!)
As a TechGirls’ Youth Group Leader/Resident Assistant you will help guide young women who are the future of STEM through a cross-cultural immersion on the campus of Virginia Tech and in Washington DC. There will be 13 Group Leader/Resident Assistants as part of the 18-member team serving 111 international teens and 15 U.S. teens.
- The staff create a safe, secure, and rich learning environment in-person with virtual-hybrid components.
- Each Youth Resident Assistant mentors one small group of approximately 10-12 girls throughout their 3-week intensive program, assisting individual girls to meet the program's demands.
- Staff guide students through leadership development activities including guest speakers, technical instruction and, most importantly, the lessons they learn from one another.
- Staff assist in facilitating 4-5 leadership clinics, group-building and orientation activities, cultural sharing sessions, reflections circles, and university/career readiness workshops.
- Throughout the three-week experience, we help students design community-based projects which they implement upon return home.
- These are residential positions requiring the person to live on site with the group throughout their US stay
- Previous group leading experience with teens or previous experience as college RA or camp counselor in a residential program;
- Ages 20 and older (Rising college juniors and seniors may apply);
- Possess prior peer leadership experience and enjoy spending time with high school students;
- Strong facilitation and group building skills;
- Have a passion for tech and gender empowerment and come from a wide variety of backgrounds;
- Willing to work in an intensive, cross-cultural environment with limited personal time;
- Prior international travel is a plus but not required; and
- Ready for an intense, challenging, and rewarding summer!
- First Aid and CPR training a plus or willingness to get certified
- Please note: U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required to apply.
Key Dates and Workflow: This is a temporary, full time position from June 20 to August 1, 2023. (Dates are subject to adjustments).
- June 20-24: Virtual Staff Training
- July 2-6: In-person staff training and program set-up at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- July 7-8: Assist with arrivals in Washington, DC (near IAD), or set up at Virginia Tech
- July 9-21: Virginia Tech Program, Blacksburg, VA
- July 22-25: TechGirls go to one of six communities across the US. RA's may accompany girls or take time to close down Virginia Tech dorms and prepare for Washington DC
- July 26-31: Program wrap-up in Washington DC
- August 1: Youth and Staff departures
Compensation: $2000-2200 (pre-tax / gross).
- Housing and meals throughout staff training and program delivery, while on duty with the program, are covered. At Virginia Tech you will be housed in a dormitory in a single occupancy room. While in hotels in Washington DC you will share a room with one other staff member.
- Transportation, admission fees and other associate program costs while traveling with the group staff and participants are also covered.
- Transportation to job location - this will be negotiated at time of offer.
How to Apply
- Visit https://techgirlsglobal.org/get-involved/summer-positions-2023/ to review full job description.
- If you wish to submit an application, click on the "Go to Staff Application - Willo platform" at the bottom of the TechGirls web page and you will be re-directed to WilloTalent where you will upload your resume and answer a few questions via video.
Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis as applications are received. As of May 24, 3 openings remain, so we encourage you to apply SOON!
Please note U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required to apply.