Summer Caretaker at a remote mountain property
glorious mountain setting with amazing views
- $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 / month + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 4 months. (Jun 15, 2024)
Seasonal Professional - Caretaker/Jack of All Trades
Sweet Grass Ranch is a family-owned ranch in the spectacular Crazy Mountains of Montana. The ranch dates back to the late 1800s and we've been taking guests at this location since 1965. We also own an adjacent property called the Bar B, which is about 8 miles from the guest ranch across country or 20 miles via road. PLEASE NOTE JOB LOCATION IS AT THE BAR B, NOT AT SWEET GRASS RANCH.
We are looking for one versatile, responsible individual from June 15 to September 22, 2024, for the Bar B property located in the foothills of the Crazy Mountains, thirty miles from the nearest town. This property has decent cell service at the buildings but does not have internet.
Caretaker Job requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Maintenance and minor repair of buildings; grounds maintenance to include operation of a log splitter and chain saw, use of an ATV, spraying and pulling weeds, lawn care; repairing corrals and fencing as needed;
- Maintenance of solar powered electrical system as this location is all off-grid; maintenance of well and water lines for buildings and stock water;
- Weekly (and as needed) cleaning of buildings on the property (two cabins, yurt, cookhouse and bathrooms);
- Responsible for horse care and feeding for 8-10 horses; and
- Ability to help with occasional pack trips and dinner rides from the guest ranch, including riding, setting up tents, cleaning up and cooking assistance.
The individual selected for this job must be a self-starter, independent with a great deal of integrity, fit and in good physical health due to the job requirements, and able to work with minimal oversight. The individual hired will be at the ranch alone often. A small bunkhouse cabin with wood stove and private bathroom is provided; the employee will do his or her own cooking but the ranch provides a grocery stipend; salary is dependent on experience and a bonus at end of the season for excellent work. When guests are staying at the property (infrequent), the caretaker will also receive a portion of the tip pool.
Workdays vary based on what needs to be done each day but the expected schedule is a full 5 days per week, with the specific days dependent on activities at the Bar B and adjacent Sweet Grass Ranch. If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references of people for whom you have worked. Job open only to US Citizens, at this time.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter, along with 3 references via email to email@example.com.