Show off your culinary skills at our small Dude Ranch in the Colorado Rockies!
At just over 8,000 ft in elevation, you'll live, work, and play in the heart of the CO Rockies!
- Red Feather Lakes, Colorado
- $12.00 / hour + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 4 months (May 10, 2019)
As Head Cook, you will be responsible for feeding up to 24 hungry Dude Ranch guests and 12-15 staff members! This job is fast-paced, hot, and cramped! We have hired both culinary professionals and self-taught home cooks for this position, both with great success! Our kitchen is small so you must be able to work efficiently and maintain cleanliness. You will have an assistant cook to help you execute all three meals, or you can delegate any meals, as long as quality and timeliness are not sacrificed. We do not micro-manage, which is why we require employees who have the ability to self-start. This means seeing what needs to be done and accomplishing it without any outside assistance (when applicable). Please review the below duties & abilities to see if you’d be a good fit.
- Housing and all utilities included
- All meals & snacks included
- Staff are welcome (and encouraged!) to partake in all guest activities during downtime/days off including horseback riding, rock climbing, archery, riflery, whitewater rafting, evening activities, hot tub, pool/foosball table, hiking, and sightseeing at Rocky Mountain National Park or more local points of interest
- Personal tips plus a share of common tip pool
REPORTS TO: House Manager
- Create and Execute Weekly Menu Plan
- Write a basic weekly menu template
- Allocate meal responsibilities (Will you cook all three meals? Will Assistant Cook take charge of breakfast?)
- Ensure that all meals are prepared in a timely fashion and to guests liking
- Ensure baked goods are prepared each day (Or allocate to Assistant Cook)
- Oversee Kitchen Staff
- Ensure that Assistant Cook and Dishwasher are following health code standards, preparing quality food in a timely manner, and cleaning kitchen daily to ranch standard
- Draft Food order for House Manager’s approval
- Ensure that ALL guest dietary needs/desires are met.
- This is NOT a Michelin Star restaurant. We are flexible to what our guests need and want – even if that means serving chicken nuggets or ketchup with steak. Our “product” is a delighted guest, not a fine dining plate presentation
- Ensure Cleanliness & Safety in Kitchen
- Follow Health Code Standards exactly
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness in the kitchen at all times
- Make sure that food items and leftovers are stored properly
- Cooking Experience (5 years +) preferably for large crowds
- Management Experience (1 year or equivalent experience)
- Ability to work as a team
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Hospitality mindset
- Exceptionally high standard of cleanliness
- Organizational capabilities
- Flexibility – ability to change your personal plans/desires to suit all kinds of guest requests
- Ability to take direction from General Manager (Ellen) and House Manager (and not contradicting their directions to your staff)
- Honesty and open communication skills
How to Apply
Please visit the employment section of our website at https://www.sundancetrail.com/dude-ranch-jobs/ for more general information and to access our online application form.
To be considered you MUST complete our online application. Emailed resumes may be submitted to supplement your application but will not be considered without prior submission of our application form.