Come experience mountain living at its best! Year-round position with free on-site housing!
Rugged, rural mountain living!
- year round
- Clark, Colorado
- $22.00 - $24.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
The Steamboat Lake Outpost is tucked away in the rural mountain community of Clark, Colorado, 25 miles north of the town of Steamboat Springs. We are a unique business that offers lodging, a restaurant/bar, a general store, the only gas pump for miles, and various guided outdoor adventures, including including sleigh rides, cross country skiing, and snowmobiling in the winter months, and horseback riding, hiking, fly fishing, and UTVs in the summer months. Every day, we get to rub shoulders with our fantastic community of locals, as well as the myriad of outdoor enthusiasts who come to adventure in this area.
Our mission as a business is to be the gathering place of North Routt County, creating a space where locals and visitors alike can build authentic relationships in a life-giving environment defined by high-level service and genuine hospitality and care for our guests.
Our restaurant and bar are a cohesive unit, currently offering elevated bar food and a variety of cocktails, wines, and local craft beers. We also host many community events, live music, and fundraisers. We are not a “bar” in the typical sense- we are a restaurant that has a bar and our vision is to create a family-friendly environment where the whole community can feel welcome, while also providing a place for locals and visitors to come grab a couple drinks at the end of the day. We seek to serve responsibly, care well for the community, and create a space where genuine relationship building can happen in a safe and healthy environment.
As the Bar Manager, you will be a working manager, actively present and working behind the bar, training and building a strong team of servers/bartenders, holding them accountable to the vision of the Outpost and to responsible bar practices. You will report to the General Manager and Food & Beverage Director and will collaborate with them to develop and streamline systems and practices to elevate the bar experience and to work toward the vision of the Outpost as a whole.
Staff member benefits include free on-site housing, an hourly wage and equitable share of the tip pool paid out bi-weekly, a free shift meal, and free and discounted activities. Benefits may include paid time off, health/dental/vision insurance and a 401K (after 1 year and 1000 hours with the company matching up to 4%).
The Ideal Candidate will demonstrate:
- A genuine presence of welcome and hospitality and a desire to build relationships with guests and staff
- A willingness to jump in wherever needed, working alongside the team and modelling servant leadership
- A strong work ethic
- A high level of emotional and social intelligence, able to read the room and address potential issues that may arise
- Confidence to diffuse situations, knowing when to cut people off and how to approach these situations with professionalism and an eye on the mission, that is to care for people well and to build authentic relationships
Specific Job Duties:
- Maintain the family-friendly environment of the bar/restaurant and protect the business and staff from potentially harmful situations that could arise due to irresponsible alcohol service
- Oversee bar training of Front of House staff
- Be a working manager, actively present behind the bar, working alongside the team, taking orders, making drinks, and connecting with guests.
- Understand the broader vision- though primary duties are behind the bar, will occasionally assist in running food, bussing tables, and touching tables in the dining room.
- Oversee bar closing and ensure standards are upheld- may often be the only manager present at closing
- Be committed to excellence, remarkable service, hospitality, and sincere interactions with our guests and holding FOH staff accountable to that standard.
- Ensure all FOH staff understand and exhibit safe and consistent alcohol serving practices
- Ensure FOH staff are maintaining all health and safety standards.
- Oversee opening and closing lists, delegating as needed and holding FOH staff accountable to thorough adherence to expectations
- Assist in preparation and execution of special events.
- Develop drink specials menu
- Be proficient in, manage and troubleshoot Toast POS system
- Build and streamline systems to improve the efficiency and cohesiveness of bar/restaurant/kitchen processes
- Coordinate with F&B Director in regard to training, scheduling, evaluations, inventory, ordering, supply costs, labor costs, observing health codes and carefully maintaining a clean and orderly bar/restaurant.
- Exhibit clear and effective communication with GM, F&B Director, and BOH and FOH staff, working to build a cohesive team and improve the SLO experience
- Collaborate with other SLO staff members/departments in day-to-day operations
- Be committed to the SLO Community and work to improve and uphold the culture.
- 5+ years bar/restaurant experience
- 2+ years bar management experience
- Colorado Servsafe/TIPS alcohol certification (will need to get this certification prior to employment at the Outpost)
- High School Graduate/GED equivalency
- Valid driver’s license
- 21 years or older
- Ability to work in a standing position for 8-10 hours per day
- Ability to lift 60lbs (50lbs overhead)
- 5+ years of bar management experience
- Proficient with public speaking, customer service, and crisis management skills
- Highly proficient in Toast POS systems and mathematics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills