Create amazing food in a spectacular location.
Live and work on the North Umpqua River
- Idleyld Park, Oregon
- $18.00 - $20.00 / hour + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 5 months. (Mar 01, 2023)
Looking for amazing views, a team that takes pride in their work, and the freedom to create quality from scratch foods? We have the place for you! We are hiring for the 2023 season.
Steamboat Inn has been serving fresh local dishes since 1957. Located on a bluff overlooking a dramatic stretch of the North Umpqua River, guests enjoy the amazing views, delicious meals, and friendly service creating a magical experience. Be a part of creating those special memories! Join an excellent team in an ideal location.
Steamboat Inn is offering a full time, seasonal position as Chef, reporting to Melinda and/or Travis Woodward starting on February 20, 2023 at 42705 North Umpqua Hwy Idleyld Park, OR 97447. Expected hours of work are evening dinner shifts and prep/planning/ordering time totaling approximately 40 hours per week. The official season begins March 10, 2023 and ends November 26, 2023, with additional days for set up and clean up on each end.
In this position, Steamboat Inn is offering a pay rate of $20 per hour paid on a bi-monthly basis, with paydays on the 5th and 20th of every month. The chef will also receive a share of cash tips at the end of each shift they work and a portion of house tips on their paychecks (rate based on hours). As part of the compensation, we also provide no cost staff housing and utilities.
Chef duties include:
- Direct and actively participate in kitchen operations, including food preparation, cooking, and cleanup
- Supervise and train staff in the preparation and presentation of food
- Create and maintain prep lists, standard operating procedures, and recipes for staff
- Plan dinner and special event menus making adjustments as needed based on the availability of ingredients
- Create and submit weekly orders to vendors
- Make sure that all kitchen and wait staff adhere to food safety and hygiene regulations to ensure a clean and sanitary kitchen
- Collaborate with the owners to align kitchen operations with the goals of the establishment
- Direct monthly inventory
- Attending meetings with owners and other department heads to discuss upcoming events and needs
- Maintain kitchen equipment; notify owners of repairs and additional maintenance needed
- Resolve issues as they arise
The chef will be in charge of the evening menu and service and oversee the operations of the day time staff to maintain proper ordering, cleanliness, quality, and presentation. The restaurant serves approximately 30-40 covers per evening. During the week, it is just a chef on the line with a prep/dish back up. On the weekends it is a chef, the assistant chef, and a prep/dish backup. There are two servers and a host/expo. We run a small crew. The chef works 5 nights and the assistant chef works on the chef’s two days off plus on the weekends.
We are located in the Umpqua National Forest. We are remote. There is no cell service, no television service, and very limited WiFi. Onsite staff need to have their own vehicles to go to town (about 40 miles) and to explore the area on their days off. Staff housing is one mile from the main lodge. Pets are not allowed in staff housing. There are three staff houses. Two have three bedrooms each and one has two bedrooms. They all have one bathroom, a kitchen, and living room. The bedrooms are private but the bathroom, kitchen, and living room is shared with other staff living in the house.
How to Apply
Email resume to Melinda at firstname.lastname@example.org