Be a traveling technical trainer for our crews!
Your choice of any Conservation Legacy office in CO (Durango, Salida) or AZ (Flagg, Tucson)
- Previous experience required
Title: Training Specialist Date: January 2019
Reports to: Field Operations Director
Salary: Group 4; Starting Salary $36k - $40k
Location: Any Conservation Legacy office in Colorado (Durango, Salida) or Arizona (Flagstaff, Tucson). Regular Travel Necessary
Status: Full Time, Exempt, Regular
Benefit Eligible: Full benefits
Summary: The Training Specialist is a support staff position dedicated to maintaining and improving Conservation Legacy field skills throughout the organization. This position will operate primarily in the field as travelling trainer for crew-based programs’ staff and participants. Advanced skills including chainsaw and crosscut operation, trail construction and maintenance, rigging systems, and structural building will be called upon to mentor field staff and participants. As part of an organization dedicated to conservation service, the Training Specialist plays a key role in educating future generations in essential conservation skills.
The Training Specialist will spend the majority of their time (approximately 75%) in the field and travelling to Conservation Legacy’s nation-wide program locations.
Essential Responsibilities and Functions:
Field Skills Training
- Plan and facilitate training opportunities for Conservation Legacy staff to improve field skills.
- Work with individual staff to improve field skills, especially related to chainsaw and crosscut.
- Maintain a cadre of experienced staff sawyers and identify local staff to mentor.
- Plan and coordinate schedule to attend chainsaw and crosscut trainings in order to lead, teach and evaluate new sawyers.
- Assist program staff in planning technical aspects of field trainings.
Training and Operational Standards
- Develop internal standards where appropriate to address the growing programmatic needs in Conservation Legacy.
- Identify inefficiencies and difficulties in field operations and create training opportunities to address them for both staff and participants.
- Monitor field operations and industry trends to keep Conservation Legacy programs relevant and outstanding
Partnership and Cooperator Liaison
- Forge and maintain partnerships with agency personnel with the objective of advancing Conservation Legacy’s programming and national standing.
Periodic overnight travel and non-traditional work hours, inclusive of weekend and evening hours. To successfully perform essential functions the Training Specialist is required to sit, stand, walk, speak and hear. The Training Specialist may be required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl on an infrequent basis. He/she must be able to operate office equipment, telephone, and computer and reach with hands and arms. The Training Specialist may be required to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted. The ability to drive an organizational vehicle is also required. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in conservation corps, land management, or similar applicable industry.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience training and teaching field skills.
- Experience with chainsaw and crosscut operations and training.
- Must hold an official certification in saw operations at the C-level, or the ability to achieve it shortly.
- Experience with a variety of conservation skills including trail building/maintenance, fuels reduction and invasive species management.
- The ability to spend long stretches of time in the field and comfortable in that environment.
- Flexibility, adaptability and capacity to work in a fluid, changing work environment.
- Valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record.
- Proficient in computer programs, databases, other technology.
- Must be able to pass Conservation Legacy’s criminal history checks.
- Previous experience with a Corps or youth serving organization.
- 10 or more years of field-based experience in conservation, land management, or similar applicable industry.
- Certifications or experience in more than one saw standard (S212, MTDC, Game of Logging)
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to Michael Swanberg, Field Operations Director (email@example.com). Position open until filled.