Now hiring for end of Summer, Fall and Winter in the Colorado Rocky Mountains!
Come join the Sombrero family, as we guide rides through the Rocky Mountains in Colorado! Multiple Corrals and locations both inside and surrounding Rocky Mountain National Park.
About Sombrero Stables
Our summer offerings include 1-10 hour trail rides in the Rocky Mountains, breakfast and steak fry rides, wagon and sleigh rides (winter), each of our corrals offers something unique and slightly different from the others.
We run a herd of 50-160 head of horses depending on the time of year and the corral you are employed at. One of our corrals runs 5-10 teams of pulling horses (Belgians, Clydesdale, Percherons).
The Employee Experience
Whether for one summer or many seasons, employment with Sombrero Stables provides a different and gratifying experience in some of the most beautiful and rugged places in the world. While the work is demanding and the hours long, it offers the employee a unique opportunity to spend much of their summer with horses. During the busy seasons you are likely to spend 8-10 hrs in the saddle a day. A genuine interest and positive attitude assist the company in providing a quality experience for our guests.
All individuals are required to have horse experience, excellent customer service skills, be able to work independently without supervision as well as in a team, and have a willingness to share the western lifestyle with our guests.
- At least 18 years of age
- Pass criminal background check
- Smoke free
- NO pets or personal horses
- Live in shared housing
- Excellent sense of humor
Western attire including:
- Blue jeans
- Button up western shirts
- Western boots
- Cowboy hat
Room and Board
- 2-3 meals / day provided
- Shared housing provided: room with roommates, dresser and limited closet space, shared bathrooms, laundry facilities. Full kitchen with refrigerator space. Men and women live in the same house but in separate rooms.
- Year round: Monthly Salary, Room & Board, Tips.
- Summer contracts: have different salary plan options for the shorter season. Plus, Room/Board, and tips.
*Note: ask about our paid summer internships for College credit!
NOTE: Tips are NOT pooled unless more than one person takes out a ride. You keep what you earn, and historically wranglers have made $500-$2000 / month, depending on the effort you present with your guests.
- Work and live in the Rocky Mountains, overlooking the Continental Divide, just 20-40 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park (depending on the corral you work at, two of them are inside the park itself)
- Learn new skills, including harnessing, driving, and working with draft horses (Snow Mountain location only)
- Free / Discounted access to all YMCA Facilities (Includes hiking, biking, archery, zip line, indoor rock climbing, indoor pool, etc) (Snow Mountain location only)
Getting Here and Getting Around
To Estes Park, Moraine, and Glacier Creek:
- Take the airport shuttle to Estes Park, it will drop you off at the corral
- Or take I25 up to HWY 66 and follow that until it turns into HWY 36. This will take you up to Estes Park. Take the first right before you get into town (Mall Rd), turn left on Big Thompson Ave (HWY 34). Sombrero is on the right .25 miles down, from there we can direct you
To Snow Mountain Ranch:
- Take I-70 west out of Denver. Turn north at the Empire and Winter Park exit 232. Go over Berthoud Pass and through the towns of Winter Park, Fraser and Tabernash. Two miles after Tabernash you will come up to county road 53 on the left side of the road ( a blue and white sign with Snow Mountain Ranch on it. Turn left to the YMCA and follow the main road 2 miles till the road comes to a Y. At that Y in the road take the right junction and go a half mile. We are on the left-hand side of the road.
- Horseback riding IS allowed in your free time, with prior manager approval. Go explore the park and the properties we own! Or on your day off, contact one of our other stables and hop on one of their rides!
- Extensive hiking, mountain biking, climbing, and fishing on property as well as throughout Larimer County and Grand County; we're just 20- 40 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Two of our stables are located inside of the national park, so enjoy the unique experience of living with the elk, moose, coyotes, and big horn sheep.
- One of our corrals is just 30 minutes from Nationally known Hot Sulphur Springs- naturally relaxing and rejuvenating hot springs.
How to Apply
Please go to our website, complete our application at the bottom of the page and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us with any questions at 970-586-4577.