Assist Head Wrangler, care for horses, take campers on trail rides.
In the Sierra National Forest in Central California on Bass Lake, 30 minutes from Yosemite gate, foot of Ansel Adams Wilderness area. 4 hours from San Francisco, 5 hours from Los Angeles.
- Wishon, California
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 2 months. (Jun 07, 2021)
Seeking individuals with a passion for horses, the outdoors, and experience working with children to assist our Head Wrangler operating our Horseback Riding activity at Skylake Yosemite Camp. The position will also entail working with campers when not assigned to horses. The Assistant Wrangler shall assist the Head Wrangler in their responsibilities for the horseback riding activity at Skylake.
The job includes:
- Evaluating the horses and their compatibility to the campers.
- Evaluating the campers and their abilities to ride the different horses.
- Coaching and instructing the campers on proper horsemanship.
- Coaching and instructing the campers on being respectful for the animals and the environment.
- Managing the camper sign ups to make sure all campers are fairly accommodated.
- Daily feeding, watering and health maintenance of the horses. A daily log of all the horses condition shall also be maintained.
- Daily saddling of the horses.
- Daily maintenance of the corrals in a safe and sanitary condition.
- Proper storage and maintenance of all saddles and equipment.
- Helping to leading trail rides and instructing campers.
- Monitoring health and fitness of horses at all times with daily log.
- Communication with Larry Knapp regarding care and health of horses if Lead Wrangler isn’t on site.
- Communication with Directors on how the activity is running.
- Organization of ACA Standards materials.
- Organizing Saddle Club Program for campers to assist with saddling/grooming/care for horses.
The physical demands of the assistant wrangler position can be demanding. All Wranglers need to be able to be in the saddle for up to five hours per day for children’s camp and possibly 6 hours per day during family camp, move heavy hay bales, and work by foot on uneven terrain.
Skylake annually employs 80 summer staff ranging from Cabin and Activity Counselors to Kitchen Staff, to Leadership Staff and Trip Leaders.
This is the summer job that will have you grow mentally and physically all while meeting amazing new people. Many staff members return year after year and come to call it their home away from home. Summer camp life is magic.
**We are monitoring the developments with the Covid vaccine rollout and are making adjustments as needed to our program to keep both campers and staff safe this summer.**