Skagway, Alaska Retail Stores Hiring: Gold Rush Gifts & Skagway Mining Company
Skagway - at the end of the Lynn Canal in a beautiful setting of mountains and glaciers
- Skagway, Alaska
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Mar 20, 2017)
Ever want to go to Alaska and work for a summer? Here's your chance!!
Hiking, camping, softball teams, bonfires, very active summer town! Great for college kids/young adults raising money for their future! OR you just want a summer of fun and taking a break from the real world.
Skagway Mining Company (SMC) & Gold Rush Gifts (GRG), two Alaska owned souvenir shops, are seeking 4-5 seasonal employees for the 2018 cruise ship season in Skagway, Alaska.
During a typical day in our summer season, thousands of tourists visit our little town of 700 residents by cruise ship and come shopping in our stores. Both stores are fairly large, SMC with six registers and GRG with four. We have two owners, both born and raised Alaskans, and employ 10-12 seasonal employees every summer. We sell souvenir gifts, such as ulus, apparel, food, and trinkets.
We are looking for energetic, self-motivated employees who can work as early as Mid March through the end September.
We house up to 12 employees in apartments above the stores. Two separate apartments, two people to a room, with each apartment having two bathrooms to share, full kitchen, living room, and laundry room. Rent/utilities are FREE under the housing contract.
March, April, May, & September employees can work anywhere from 30-60 hours a week depending on merchandise shipments and cruise ship schedule. June-August is usually 60 hours of work a week. Overtime is paid at time and a half.
- Sales - cash register duty
- Knowledge of Alaska artists (GRG)
- Receiving/Pricing Merchandise
- Customer Service
- 1+ years of the customer service/retail/hospitality industry
- Outgoing, friendly, and professional demeanor a MUST
- Ability to problem solve, multi-task, and work both as a team member and on your own
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must have energy. This is a high paced retail store.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must be clean and responsible for your belongings.
- No pets allowed.
- No smoking and/or drugs - zero tolerance. (Alcohol is okay over the age of 21).
- Must sign and follow housing contract.
- Mandatory weekly chores.
- Must be easy going and friendly, as you work and live with the same people for 6 months.
- Housing is for employees who can work April through September only (unless we aren't full and have space).
- Must interview first before housing is granted (via FaceTime or Skype, if not in the same city).
How to Apply
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with references: two work-related, one personal.